Author Topic: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......  (Read 14476 times)

ebrochu

Re: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013, 11:43:47 PM »
 ;D Ah well, I guess that means I'll just have to eat sushi all by myself...

Darn it all!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Om nom nomnom.....

thing that I finally tried? Goat brie.

The idea of brie with that rind on it really turned me off. Then my husband told me that I didn't have to eat it if I didn't want to. Once I got to the cheese inside, it wasn't bad. Then, I was offered goat brie. Thinking it was the same, I peeled off the rind and popped it on my mouth.

I don't spit out food, that's just not right. (unless it's spoiled) But this stuff? weird taste, bitterness, and weird texture made for a very upsetting time...

Ereine

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2013, 11:55:39 PM »
For all those who didn't care for sushi if you are still interested in why so many others enjoy it there are many variations of sushi with different ingredients.  It may have been an issue with one or more of the ingredients so you could order a different kind if you ever decided to give it another chance.

Yup. Sushi is such a broad term, like a burrito. You could taste a squid-goat cheese-and-horseradish burrito and think it's absolutely awful, but chances are there's some type of burrito out there that you'd enjoy.

My husband introduced me to sushi about two years ago. I started with an avocado and cream cheese roll and worked my way up to more exciting offerings. I really enjoy it now, but if I had started out with a strong-flavored fish roll, I know I never would have tried it again.

I don't know if the sushi I tried was exceptionally bad but I didn't like how bland it was and the things they had to make it more tasty I didn't like. I think that my brain was expecting the deliciousness of gravlax and was disappointed.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 02:05:31 AM »
Steamed mussels, at a now closed Chinese buffet place here in town, and thanks to DH, I've fallen in love with them, the only other Chinese buffet we go to doesn't serve them, and I am bummed about that, I miss them!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 06:26:30 AM »
This thread has had me doing a fair bit of Googling: I'm British, and a number of "transatlantic" things are mentioned here, where I'd either heard the name but no more than that; or they were completely new to me.

My "finally worked up the nerve" episode, has been with tripe.  For decades, I fought shy of trying tripe -- had the strong impression that it seemed pretty revolting, but recognised the outside possibility that prejudice might be depriving me of something wonderful.  My brother was in the same situation.  A couple of years ago, we jointly bit the bullet; and bought and shared a stewed-tripe dish preserved in a jar, imported from Poland.  We came to the same conclusion: not actually loathsome, but a not particularly pleasant taste -- and the texture was as off-putting as we'd expected.  So far as we're concerned, tripe has been tried in the balance and found wanting.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 09:48:05 AM »
Trippa Genovese is one of my favorite dishes.  Mr. Thipu, who is not at all fond of 'offal' also will eat a forkful or two from my plate. He also likes the tripe with scallions, ginger and garlic at dim sum.   

Chicken feet.  We had dim sum with a relative who ordered them and I had a taste.  It was all right and the sauce was good but I'd never order them on my own. 

Psychopoesie

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 10:15:02 AM »
I love the chicken feet at yum cha (aka dim sum). Won't order them just for me (yum cha is about having a little of everything) so always happy when I'm with someone (like my stepmum) who's enthusiastic about them too.

Tried haggis a couple of times when I was visiting Scotland and loved that too.

Still on my list to try are snails, frog legs and caviar. Trying to convince myself to give durian a go but the smell keeps putting me off.

Dorrie78

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2013, 10:15:43 AM »
There are people (like myself) who just.don't.like.sushi, and have no interest in trying various kinds in order to learn to like it.  No, thanks.  Sushi lovers, go ahead and enjoy yourselves.  I'll pass.   :)
Thank you! I don't like fish and was urged to try the sushi at a restaurant once because it had beef in it, instead of fish. (and it was a high-end restaurant in Hawaii, not some bargain place). Problem was that the seaweed had a strong fishy flavor. Blech!

I have no interest in trying different versions until I find one I like. I'll have the non-sushi options and leave the sushi to those of you who like it.

And I'm also delighted to find out that there is an entire secret community of sushi-haters out there! I thought I was the only one.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
There are people (like myself) who just.don't.like.sushi, and have no interest in trying various kinds in order to learn to like it.  No, thanks.  Sushi lovers, go ahead and enjoy yourselves.  I'll pass.   :)
Thank you! I don't like fish and was urged to try the sushi at a restaurant once because it had beef in it, instead of fish. (and it was a high-end restaurant in Hawaii, not some bargain place). Problem was that the seaweed had a strong fishy flavor. Blech!

I have no interest in trying different versions until I find one I like. I'll have the non-sushi options and leave the sushi to those of you who like it.

And I'm also delighted to find out that there is an entire secret community of sushi-haters out there! I thought I was the only one.

We should get special decoder rings.  :D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »
Trippa Genovese is one of my favorite dishes.  Mr. Thipu, who is not at all fond of 'offal' also will eat a forkful or two from my plate. He also likes the tripe with scallions, ginger and garlic at dim sum.   

For me as regards tripe, I'm afraid it will be "once bitten, twice shy".  If I'm losing out as a result -- OK, I'm losing out.  I'm far from anti-offal; just "leery" of some of the more extreme forms thereof.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »
thing that I finally tried? Goat brie.

The idea of brie with that rind on it really turned me off. Then my husband told me that I didn't have to eat it if I didn't want to. Once I got to the cheese inside, it wasn't bad. Then, I was offered goat brie. Thinking it was the same, I peeled off the rind and popped it on my mouth.

I don't spit out food, that's just not right. (unless it's spoiled) But this stuff? weird taste, bitterness, and weird texture made for a very upsetting time...

Goat brie, I haven't encountered. But, a thing I came across in the brie line a few years ago -- smoked brie cheese: from an Irish cheesemaking firm, who were seemingly going all-out to be inventive-and-innovative.  It wasn't outright horrible -- I ate the whole of the portion that I bought, without too much trauma -- but for me, it just basically didn't "work", and didn't taste right.

lilfox

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »
On sushi, I'll split the difference with the haters and lovers.  The first kind I tried was a California roll (aka entry level sushi), but as I hate mayo and avocado, and dislike fake crab i thought it was awful.  I still won't eat any rolls except plain maki because of the sauces or various ingredients like avocado or roe.

However, when I finally tried raw fish nigiri I loved it!  Now i love most of the raw versions of nigiri and sashimi (which I eat with rice anyway).  So for me it wasn't a texture thing, it was finding the right level of ingredients.

Most everything else mentioned so far, I've tried at least once except haggis (had the chance in Scotland once but no, maybe someday), frog legs (no opportunities so far), and Funyuns (dislike every fried food of this style so far).

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2013, 12:36:29 PM »
I don't eat offal, veal, lamb, mutton, duck (have tried it, my body doesn't like it), rabbit. During our cruise, I will try a bite of DH's veal or lamb, which he is sure to order.

I love avocado and real guacamole, sushi whether it is maki, nigiri or sashimi, and shellfish any way I can get them. I love pickled ginger.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:48:45 PM by ladyknight1 »

magicdomino

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »
For all those who didn't care for sushi if you are still interested in why so many others enjoy it there are many variations of sushi with different ingredients.  It may have been an issue with one or more of the ingredients so you could order a different kind if you ever decided to give it another chance.

A good point.  After several tries, I finally figured out that I hated the rice, and wasn't too thrilled about the seaweed.  I still haven't tried a plain raw fish version, mostly because there doesn't seem to be any point to eating raw fish when I can have cooked.

Shalamar

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
I finally tried "sausage gravy" when I was in the States a while back.  It was almost white in appearance, and I'm used to gravy being brown, so I just couldn't get over the look of it.  I ended up not finishing my breakfast, which is VERY unusual for me.  :)

fountainof

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »
I also get told to try different kinds of sushi too but it the rice flavour I don't like not the rest of the stuff.  I am not a big vinegar fan and the combo of the sweet with the vinegar I just don't like in Sushi but I do like sweat and sour sauces.  So Sushi just isn't my thing and when you say your don't like the rice, people just keep saying "it is just rice" but it isn't and the "everyone loves sushi" and you must be an uncultured dolt sigh is just getting annoying.