Author Topic: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......  (Read 14131 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »
I finally tried "sausage gravy" when I was in the States a while back.  It was almost white in appearance, and I'm used to gravy being brown, so I just couldn't get over the look of it.  I ended up not finishing my breakfast, which is VERY unusual for me.  :)

Oooh I love sausage gravy, but I don't have it at restaurants.  They use way too much flour and not enough sausage and fat :)  A good sausage gravy should have tons of sausage with just enough gravy to hold it all together. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »
I like fish but mostly eat white.  I never liked the looks of salmon, but it was a popular dish when they serve it at the work cafeteria; everyone seems to love it and praise it.  So I tried it one day.  Yuck!  I couldn't get the fishy taste out of my mouth all day despite brushing teeth, gum, mints, food, etc.  I figure it's because it was cheap fish from a work cafeteria, but then why does everyone else seem to love it?  Never tried again.

unnalee

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »
When we went to Finland two years ago, everyone was telling me that I better prepare myself to eat lots of fish when we visited the relatives. (I hate all types of fish and seafood)  Turns out I was just fine with all the fresh veggies, desserts, etc.  The real surpise was how good reindeer was.  Never thought I would be saying that, but we had it prepared several different ways (in stew, with berries, grilled).  All very good.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2013, 03:51:25 PM »
I finally tried "sausage gravy" when I was in the States a while back.  It was almost white in appearance, and I'm used to gravy being brown, so I just couldn't get over the look of it.  I ended up not finishing my breakfast, which is VERY unusual for me.  :)

Oooh I love sausage gravy, but I don't have it at restaurants.  They use way too much flour and not enough sausage and fat :)  A good sausage gravy should have tons of sausage with just enough gravy to hold it all together.

For those outside the US, some "gravies" in the US south are really like a bechemal sauce. Instead of butter as the base fat, we will use a little grease used to fry a meat, like pan sausage, add flour to create a roux then cream or milk. Sausage gravy is made like this but with the crumbled sausage added back in. Growing up in the south we referred to a traditional gravy as brown gravy.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 05:21:06 PM »

I tried goat a few months ago. It was a little weird mentally because I love goats. I like to pet them and play with them and I love their little goat faces and little goat eyes…but I was going to eat goat curry, darn it! It was ok. I was prepared for there still being bones in it so that was odd, but I was ready for it. It tasted ok. I mean, the curry was good. The meat was pretty ok, I guess. I did get sick afterward, though. I don’t know if it was because of curry in my delicate stomach, or the goat meat, or if I mentally made myself ill thinking about it too much. I probably won’t eat it again, unless my friend really does do goat on a spit as he keeps offering/threatening.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »
;D Ah well, I guess that means I'll just have to eat sushi all by myself...

Darn it all!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Om nom nomnom.....

I WANNA EAT ALL THE SUSHI!  >:D  . . . Ahem, please excuse me. My manners ran away for a minute. What I meant was "Would you please share all the sushi with me?"  ;D

I've never met a piece of sushi that I didn't like. I'll admit that I was in my "comfort zone" of what I would order, then I went wild and worked up the nerve to taste an an eel something. Boy. Was that awesome! After the eel, I'll try just about anything, sushi-wise.

The most recent thing that I worked up the nerve to try?

Olives.

I've always had an aversion to olives, it's been too many years to mention since I've tried one. Just the other day DD#2 brought home a wonderful Mediterranean salad which was full of olives. In deference to the polite side, I smiled as I put one in my mouth. What the heck? Try it, you'll like it.

My brain said "Ew! Ew! Ew! what is that horrid thing in my mouth!" while my polite side chewed and swallowed (I hoped my grimace didn't show :-\) and I thanked DD#2 profusely for the delicious salad.

At the end of the meal, DD#2 saw all the olives pushed over to the side of my plate and asked "What. You couldn't choke down more that one?" ::) ;D

I love my DD, but Olives will never pass through these lips again.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »
mmmmmm I love eel.  You do know it's cooked, not raw right

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »

Yes. If it were raw, I believe it would be called sushimi (sp?), not sushi.

I believe that's where the disconnect comes in, people thinking that sushi is raw fish. I'm under the impression that sushi is cooked or smoked fish or not even seafood at all rolled up in rice and seaweed. I've seen sushi with pieces of smoked salmon or shrimp (and even eel) served on top of a pile of rice without the seaweed rolling.

Raw fish is something completely different from sushi, right?

jmarvellous

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2013, 08:48:47 PM »

I believe that's where the disconnect comes in, people thinking that sushi is raw fish. I'm under the impression that sushi is cooked or smoked fish or not even seafood at all rolled up in rice and seaweed. I've seen sushi with pieces of smoked salmon or shrimp (and even eel) served on top of a pile of rice without the seaweed rolling.

Nope, there's plenty of raw fish in sushi. In fact, I'd say it most often has raw fish, but that it's not essential. Sashimi is almost always raw fish, though some forms of seafood served as sashimi might be slightly cooked.

I adore vegetarian "sushi" -- rolls with various vegetables and/or egg, or vegetables served on top of blocks of rice. I do not usually request sushi restaurants without thoroughly reviewing the menu first, though, because I know it's basically going out for seafood. The places that pay close attention to their vegetarian options can do a remarkable range of things with those ingredients, though.

As a child I never thought I liked tea because the only tea I'd had was plain, black and bitter Lipton or syrupy sweet iced tea. Once I finally tried hot tea, I grew to really like (many varieties of) it. It still took me several more years to try iced tea again. I realized I just can't stand it really sweet! It's very nice to know.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »

I believe the word sushi itself just refers to vinegar-ed rice.  The toppings changed the name slightly.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »
I'd always wanted to try biscuits and gravy - so when I went to the US last year, I did!  Totally delicious, but it was such a massive serve I didn't have a hope of finishing it.   :-\

I don't mind some sushi, but I avoid the raw fish varieties.  Tried it once, blergh.

Never liked oysters (although I love all other shellfish), but I tried a very fresh Tasmanian oyster on holiday some years ago (before I moved here), and while it wasn't something I would do again, it wasn't as bad as others I've tried (and failed) to eat.

It took me years to try venison, and I love it.  I cannot even stomach the thought of trying kangaroo though.  Bambi yes, Skippy no. 

These days, I'm very selective with what I eat - I have a lap band, so I need to be.  I'll try some things, but only a very small taste.  It makes eating out an interesting experience sometimes, not always in a good way.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2013, 09:24:53 PM »
I never ate fish growing up; it was 'fishy'.

Now?  I'll even cook fish for myself, as well as order it in a restaurant.  Although my favourite is still out of the lake and into the frying pan within an hour or two.

My brother still won't eat fish except the out of the lake, into the frying pan variety.  He has developed a skin allergy to fish - if he handles it beyond the initial, immediate cleaning, he gets a rash.  My Dad will occasionally eat fish but it isn't his favourite.

And I now absolutely love, love, love sushi.  I don't eat sashimi - that's just the slices of raw fish/seafood.  I love maki or rolls - all kinds, whether the fish is raw or cooked.  I started with California rolls and moved up from there.  I also like nigiri - that's the balls of sushi rice with the slice of raw fish or other seafood, sometimes cooked, like eel and shrimp on top.

If someone is looking to venture into sushi but starting tame, California rolls without tobiko (those little orange eggs) is a good place to start.  The 'crab' in it is usually imitation crab, which is normally cooked Alaskan Pollack.  There's cucumber and avocado.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2013, 09:42:52 PM »

I believe the word sushi itself just refers to vinegar-ed rice.  The toppings changed the name slightly.

yes, sushi refers to the rice only.  The basic terms are: Sashimi is raw fish with no rice.  Nigiri is raw fish on top of rice.  Maki are rolls.  Rolls can contain raw fish, cooked items, as well as vegetables only. 

Eel is always cooked here in the US, because raw eel can be poisonous.  I have had it raw in other parts of the world. 

metallicafan

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2013, 11:31:47 PM »
Baked clams.  Never again.  Didn't like the texture. 
I love shrimp.  I love crab cakes.  That's about it for me as far as seafood.
Every Christmas Eve, my MIL makes linguine with calamari, lobster tails, and shrimp.  I did try it.  Nope.
However, I will happily devour the breaded, fried jumbo shrimp she also makes.

Faerydust

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2013, 12:36:35 AM »
I've hated raspberries ever since I tried them when I was very young. I also dislike most raspberry flavored foods. I especially dislike accidentally eating a piece of thawed frozen raspberry that's in/on a dessert. Recently my SO's mother was eating some Driscoll's raspberries and asked if I wanted some. I told her no thanks and that I don't care for raspberries. She told me that she was never a raspberry fan, but recently tried them and really likes them.

I was hesitant, but gave in and tried a few. Went out and bought myself a container the next day and have been hooked ever since! Now I get really sad when I run out and none of the ones in the store look fresh. I can't live without them!