Author Topic: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......  (Read 14622 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2013, 01:00:06 AM »
;D Ah well, I guess that means I'll just have to eat sushi all by myself...

Darn it all!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Om nom nomnom.....

I WANNA EAT ALL THE SUSHI!  >:D  . . . Ahem, please excuse me. My manners ran away for a minute. What I meant was "Would you please share all the sushi with me?"  ;D

I've never met a piece of sushi that I didn't like. I'll admit that I was in my "comfort zone" of what I would order, then I went wild and worked up the nerve to taste an an eel something. Boy. Was that awesome! After the eel, I'll try just about anything, sushi-wise.

Can I join the sushi train with you guys? Please?

Psychopoesie

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2013, 01:08:45 AM »

Om nom nomnom.....

I WANNA EAT ALL THE SUSHI!  >:D  . . . Ahem, please excuse me. My manners ran away for a minute. What I meant was "Would you please share all the sushi with me?"  ;D

I've never met a piece of sushi that I didn't like. I'll admit that I was in my "comfort zone" of what I would order, then I went wild and worked up the nerve to taste an an eel something. Boy. Was that awesome! After the eel, I'll try just about anything, sushi-wise.

Count me in too, please. :))

I haven't had lunch yet and I'm now having visions of sushi.

Allyson

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2013, 01:23:26 AM »
Raw oysters! I went out to a restaurant with a friend who had some sort of coupon for tons of oysters for cheap. I'd had oysters before, but always cooked in some manner, usually at a sushi restaurant. Turned out these were super fresh raw ones. I was a bit tentative but we were already there and I didn't want to back out then, so I went for it. They were pretty good! I still prefer them cooked, and probably wouldn't go out of my way to do raw ones again, but the different kinds of sauces were fun.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2013, 01:52:34 AM »

Om nom nomnom.....

CHOOO CHOOOO!  ALL ABOARD!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2013, 07:03:28 AM »
Raw oysters! I went out to a restaurant with a friend who had some sort of coupon for tons of oysters for cheap. I'd had oysters before, but always cooked in some manner, usually at a sushi restaurant. Turned out these were super fresh raw ones. I was a bit tentative but we were already there and I didn't want to back out then, so I went for it. They were pretty good! I still prefer them cooked, and probably wouldn't go out of my way to do raw ones again, but the different kinds of sauces were fun.

I really like them raw too, but hate them cooked.  I had a friend who convinced me to try some clam and mussel cooked dish at a buffet.  I didn't like the smell of them and I found them really nasty.  The texture was really weird and they tasted very metallic to me.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2013, 08:13:44 AM »

Om nom nomnom.....

CHOOO CHOOOO!  ALL ABOARD!

*jumping on board*

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »
Uh oh, just wait. One day you'll be craving something and not know what. And suddenly you'll realize it is raw oysters.

Shalamar

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2013, 11:43:33 AM »
I don't think I can ever eat a raw oyster.  The appearance is enough to send me screaming for the hills.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2013, 11:55:47 AM »
Sushi train joiner!

I always go to the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot in Walt Disney World, and every year I try one new thing. Last year was Japanese seaweed salad. It was amazing.

I despise anise flavoring.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »

Om nom nomnom.....

I WANNA EAT ALL THE SUSHI!  >:D  . . . Ahem, please excuse me. My manners ran away for a
minute. What I meant was "Would you please share all the sushi with me?"  ;D

I've never met a piece of sushi that I didn't like. I'll admit that I was in my "comfort zone" of what I
 would order, then I went wild and worked up the nerve to taste an an eel something. Boy. Was that awesome! After the eel, I'll try just about anything, sushi-wise.

[/quote

WAIT! WAIT! hold the doors on the sushi train. 

It can't leave without me!

I've got the wasabi and the sake! 

Syfygeek

« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:09 PM »
In the tiny town down the road from me, filled with farmers and good old boys, a sushi restaurant opened up. They offer sushi, sashimi, various rolls filled with raw fish, and other wonderful foods. For the good old boys, there's a deep fried version.

I have eaten raw oysters and never ever will again. Along with caviar and calamari.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

cwm

« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »
I absolutely love nigiri and sashimi, as long as there's no wasabi. I can't stand maki. The seaweed in the rolls is disgusting. I've had to eat seaweed before, and it's not only gross, but it's rubbery. Also, if I'm going to enjoy sushi, I have to be in the right mood for it, it's not something I can eat all the time.

Off the sushi train, though, I've found that I love squid and octopus. It's really good, if it's cooked well.

I miss being able to eat clam chowder and smoked mussels, and never having gotten the chance to try raw oysters. I mean, I still could, but the stomach upset that's bound to come with it for the next several days isn't worth it, really.

Venison is delicious. So is reindeer. And moose.

Apparently when I was younger, a great uncle brought meat to a family gathering and shared it with everyone before he said what it was. Raccoon, when prepared properly, isn't all that bad. Neither is shark.

I have tried fried gator and hated it, but mostly that was because of the spices they used in the breading. I'd be more than willing to try it again without all the spice.

Lamb is really nice to eat, but I'm not so fond of goat. I've heard goats described as in-your-face, and I suppose that's true whether they're alive and head butting you or on your plate and overpowering most other flavors.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
Calamari! Now, here's what's crazy is that my great uncle makes his own calamari all the time, but I avoided it like the plague when I was kid. Finally I was out with my friend one day and she convinced me to try some that she had ordered (I just knew I'd hate it), and oh my wow it was good! It's not something I got out of my way to have but I do eat my uncle's now.

I also tried matzo ball soup and brisket recently, less working up the courage and more just never bothering to try either, both were so good. And I really like brisket. Like...a lot a lot.

I wouldn't eat sushi for years, I don't really care for fish (though I love most shell fish), so I'd just opt out. Until a friend, who knows a lot about sushi, suggested I try some and she'd order for me. So she asked what kind of stuff I already knew I liked (crab, lobster, shrimp, ect) and she picked a few different things for me to try and I really liked it! I love california rolls. I've tried some that I don't care for, but some I really like. I'm still naive on ordering it myself.

Oh and spam! I never ate spam. My mom would go on and on about how horrible it was and just the thought made her gag. So I never touched it. Then for some reason one of my friends got me to try some...I don't remember why exactly. Anyways, I wasn't a fan. I mean, not like as terrible as my mother had me believe, but not for me.

I also had a friend (same one who got me to try calamari) get to finally try corned beef and cabbage. Wasn't a fan. I have discovered I like raw red cabbage, but I really dislike it cooked (I'm the same way with spinach love it raw, hate it cooked).

And I keep trying oatmeal hoping eventually I'll like it. I don't. It's the texture. Too mushy/sticky or something.

cwm

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
Corned beef, ick. I try to put that memory OUT of my head. Along with sourkraut. And rye bread. (No, I've never even tried a reuben, I hate all of these on their own enough that the thought disgusts me.)

I've tried haggis, and it wasn't too bad. I've tried bubble and squeak, and never again will it pass my lips.

People keep telling me that caramel (insert anything here) really isn't all that bad, I should try it. Except I can't stand caramel. I don't know, having to scrape burned caramel out of cooking dishes several nights a week just kind of turned me off of the flavor in general. When people cook with it I can taste it and I always politely turn away dishes that I know have it.

I finally had a mouthful of straight Jack Daniels. I will say, it's great for staving off an oncoming axniety attack by calming me down and forcing me to focus on the awful taste and the burn going all the way to my stomach. In a mixed drink it's not so bad, but it's just too strong for me. Then again, with my anxiety, it might be a good thing to keep on hand in case of emergencies.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »
Love calamari, brisket and corned beef. Only like sauerkraut on a Reuben.

I love sweet and salty, so pretzels with caramel or chocolate.