Author Topic: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......  (Read 13496 times)

Shalamar

Re: I finally worked up the nerve to taste......
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2013, 04:35:10 PM »
And I keep trying oatmeal hoping eventually I'll like it. I don't. It's the texture.

I'm not alone!  I cannot STAND oatmeal.  My parents were always making it when I was a kid, especially in the winter ("it'll stick to your ribs!), but the texture made me gag.  I could only stomach it with tons of golden syrup.

On the booze front, I didn't try gin for years because my mother would always shudder and say it was "horrible".  I finally tried it in a Tom Collins and was amazed at how much I liked it.  Scotch, though?  No, thanks.   Tried it once, never again.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2013, 04:43:57 PM »
And I keep trying oatmeal hoping eventually I'll like it. I don't. It's the texture.

I'm not alone!  I cannot STAND oatmeal.  My parents were always making it when I was a kid, especially in the winter ("it'll stick to your ribs!), but the texture made me gag.  I could only stomach it with tons of golden syrup.

On the booze front, I didn't try gin for years because my mother would always shudder and say it was "horrible".  I finally tried it in a Tom Collins and was amazed at how much I liked it.  Scotch, though?  No, thanks.   Tried it once, never again.

Hey there....I'm a gin drinker too.  Have you tried a Negroni or a Gimlet yet?  The Negroni uses Campari, which is either a love it or hate it type of mixer.  Also I like the Aviation.  It's like a pinker, more lemony Tom Collins

Shalamar

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »
I haven't tried either one, PastryGoddess, but I'm going to remedy that at the first opportunity.  :)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »
I've tried a Negroni, the Campari is a bit medicine like. But the best drink in the world is a White Lady. Gin, Cointreau, lemon juice and sugar syrup.

I might have ine tonight, it's been so long and I'm trying to get pregnant but now I am definitely not.

Library Dragon

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »
DH's favorite drink is Campari and soda.  To me it tastes like Lavoris mouthwash.   :P  ???

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »
I've tried a Negroni, the Campari is a bit medicine like. But the best drink in the world is a White Lady. Gin, Cointreau, lemon juice and sugar syrup.

I might have ine tonight, it's been so long and I'm trying to get pregnant but now I am definitely not.

oooh I love a good White Lady.  I sometimes do a mint simple syrup instead of regular simple syrup.  We're totally thread jacking.  maybe a new thread should be started for cocktails

Vall

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »
I've always liked trying new things so I don't often have to work up any nerve to try something.  But a few years ago I was nervous when a friend made me a batch of chitlins to try.  They were okay.  I didn't love or hate them but I haven't had them since then.

My family hunted, fished and trapped so I ate all kinds of odd things growing up.  Deer, squirrel, muskrat, turtle, oysters, crabs, clams, etc.  When I was a little girl, I loved when my dad went clamming.  When he came home, he'd open them at the sink.  I would stand beside him patiently (and trying to look cute) and every so often I saw his hand coming my way.  I'd open my mouth like a little birdie and he''d drop a raw clam in it.  Yum!  Then I'd wait for the next one.

suzieQ

« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »
Calamari! Now, here's what's crazy is that my great uncle makes his own calamari all the time, but I avoided it like the plague when I was kid. Finally I was out with my friend one day and she convinced me to try some that she had ordered (I just knew I'd hate it), and oh my wow it was good! It's not something I got out of my way to have but I do eat my uncle's now.

I also tried matzo ball soup and brisket recently, less working up the courage and more just never bothering to try either, both were so good. And I really like brisket. Like...a lot a lot.

I wouldn't eat sushi for years, I don't really care for fish (though I love most shell fish), so I'd just opt out. Until a friend, who knows a lot about sushi, suggested I try some and she'd order for me. So she asked what kind of stuff I already knew I liked (crab, lobster, shrimp, ect) and she picked a few different things for me to try and I really liked it! I love california rolls. I've tried some that I don't care for, but some I really like. I'm still naive on ordering it myself.

Oh and spam! I never ate spam. My mom would go on and on about how horrible it was and just the thought made her gag. So I never touched it. Then for some reason one of my friends got me to try some...I don't remember why exactly. Anyways, I wasn't a fan. I mean, not like as terrible as my mother had me believe, but not for me.

I also had a friend (same one who got me to try calamari) get to finally try corned beef and cabbage. Wasn't a fan. I have discovered I like raw red cabbage, but I really dislike it cooked (I'm the same way with spinach love it raw, hate it cooked).

And I keep trying oatmeal hoping eventually I'll like it. I don't. It's the texture. Too mushy/sticky or something.
Have you tried steel cut oatmeal? Totally different texture compared to rolled oats. I love the stuff! It's more chewy (depending on how long you cook it) and not mushy at all.
I put it in my rice cooker - 1 part oats to 3 parts water and cook for about 20 minutes or until it looks right.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2013, 12:44:46 PM »

There's at least three of it. I keep trying it once in a while. I think I should like it. I like other hot grains (grits/polenta and upma) and I like oatmeal cookies and oatmeal bread. I have had instant, regular, steel cut, plain, with fruit, with peanut butter, etc. I have learned to like things that I had once not liked. It is healthy, cheap and easy to make so I wish I liked it.

jmarvellous

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »
I think the texture of steel-cut oats is actually way worse (and DEFINITELY still mushy! the whole point of the dish is a bowl of mush!).

I do like 'regular' oatmeal a lot, though, and when I say steel-cut oats are kind of gross texturally, it doesn't mean I won't eat them. I just prefer the others, by far. I eat steel-cut when my husband makes them (and he eats quick oats when I make them) because he prefers them.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2013, 06:45:50 PM »
Maybe you're making it the wrong way. I make porridge (oatmeal) on the stove with milk and then serve with more milk and your choice of topping. I gave golden syrup, DH has honey.

I love it, dills you up and keeps you warm.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
Maybe you're making it the wrong way. I make porridge (oatmeal) on the stove with milk and then serve with more milk and your choice of topping. I gave golden syrup, DH has honey.

I love it, dills you up and keeps you warm.

IMO, oatmeal is one of those foods people either love it, hate it, or make themselves eat it for health reasons.  I've never liked it in anyway, shape, form, or topping.  I'd eat it when I had to.  It has never "stuck with me"...it is seriously one of those foods that I am stark raving mad STARVING an hour after eating it.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Library Dragon

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2013, 08:30:33 PM »
There are textural issues with oatmeal. DH cannot eat oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, etc., because of the texture.  Which means he leaves my refrigerator oatmeal alone.   >:D

I cannot stand to have jello, marshmallows, or gummi bears in my mouth  :P The flavor could be fantastic, but I'll never know because he texture is  :P   :(  :P  :( .

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

katycoo

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2013, 11:13:12 PM »
Raw oysters! I went out to a restaurant with a friend who had some sort of coupon for tons of oysters for cheap. I'd had oysters before, but always cooked in some manner, usually at a sushi restaurant. Turned out these were super fresh raw ones. I was a bit tentative but we were already there and I didn't want to back out then, so I went for it. They were pretty good! I still prefer them cooked, and probably wouldn't go out of my way to do raw ones again, but the different kinds of sauces were fun.

I really like them raw too, but hate them cooked.  I had a friend who convinced me to try some clam and mussel cooked dish at a buffet.  I didn't like the smell of them and I found them really nasty.  The texture was really weird and they tasted very metallic to me.

I love them raw and never eat them cooked because they are so inferior when cooked that even though they're fine/good/whatever it leaves me disappointed.

metallicafan

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2013, 11:49:45 PM »
There are textural issues with oatmeal. DH cannot eat oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, etc., because of the texture.  Which means he leaves my refrigerator oatmeal alone.   >:D

I cannot stand to have jello, marshmallows, or gummi bears in my mouth  :P The flavor could be fantastic, but I'll never know because he texture is  :P   :(  :P  :( .
I completely agree with you on marshmallows.