Author Topic: A nice way to do a holiday party. IMO  (Read 1200 times)

MOM21SON

A nice way to do a holiday party. IMO
« on: November 04, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
Years ago I was self employed helping a elderly couple with anything they needed help with.  The were in their late 70's and had lived in their condo community for about 15 years.  Every year they would have 3 nights of parties for Christmas.  There were 30-40 people each night.  They put all their friends names in a bag and pulled out the guests for each night.  Couples were on the same slip of paper. 

Everyone had a great time all 3 nights and I did too!  And I made GREAT money making sure food and drink were flowing.  Each party was from 7-10 pm and guests game at 7 and left at 10 on the nose.

Just wanted to share the idea.

My reason for sharing is that it really was a nice way to see all their friends for the holidays.  They had separate time with family.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:28:26 PM by MOM21SON »

katycoo

Re: A nice way to do a holiday party. IMO
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 06:25:37 PM »
I don't understand the money making aspect?

MOM21SON

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »
I don't understand the money making aspect?

I guess I just added it in because since I worked for them and made money doing it, I was around to see how much everyone enjoyed themselves.  Sorry.

Interesting that is all you took about having a nice party for the holidays with no special lists.

I apologize, I made corrections.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:29:20 PM by MOM21SON »

katycoo

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
Oh right.  I completely misread that you earned money by being employed to work at the party.

I thought you were suggesting that the elderly couple somehow made money by hosting the parties and that therefore you were suggesting that we should host similar money-making parties.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:51:11 PM »
I read it the same way, I thought it was some kind of fund-raiser.    Glad that wasn't the case!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:16:22 PM »
Years ago I was self employed helping a elderly couple with anything they needed help with.  The were in their late 70's and had lived in their condo community for about 15 years.  Every year they would have 3 nights of parties for Christmas.  There were 30-40 people each night.  They put all their friends names in a bag and pulled out the guests for each night.  Couples were on the same slip of paper. 

Everyone had a great time all 3 nights and I did too!  And made GREAT money making sure food and drink were flowing.  Each party was from 7-10 pm and guests game at 7 and left at 10 on the nose.

Mom without an "I" in this sentence it was hard to understand who was making great money.

I think it's a nice idea if you have the stamina to host parties 3 nights in a row. I'm not sure I do.

MOM21SON

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:25:42 PM »

Everyone had a great time all 3 nights and I did too!  And made GREAT money making sure food and drink were flowing.  Each party was from 7-10 pm and guests game at 7 and left at 10 on the nose.

Mom without an "I" in this sentence it was hard to understand who was making great money.

I think it's a nice idea if you have the stamina to host parties 3 nights in a row. I'm not sure I do.

Ah!  Thank you!  I totally missed that.  I read and reread before I submitted and totally missed it.  I will correct it now. 

MOM21SON

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
Ok, thanks all!  I made some corrections.  I just thought it was a great idea.  There was no worry about who to invite, what hours, and no A and B list.

They had done it for years by themselves before I came along.  It really was very well done.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »

I don't know if i'd have the stamina for 3 days of hosting, but I like the whole random idea. It sounds fun.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »

I don't know if i'd have the stamina for 3 days of hosting, but I like the whole random idea. It sounds fun.

I agree -- the stamina and funds! for hosting 30-40 people 3 nights in a row would be daunting in my world.

But mixing up the guest list in a grab-bag sort of way is a great thought, if you don't have space enough to host one huge party. It gives the option of being a bit more elegant and guest-friendly for each party.

LadyL

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 03:43:23 PM »
I would much rather rent a hall and have 120 people at one party than three parties of 40 people each. I find hosting to be rewarding but exhausting (and expensive), and being on the introverted side I don't have 3 days worth of stamina. If this couple was paying you to help I could see how that would make it easier.

I also wonder about the friends themselves - I would be bummed to be invited to Party A if most of my overlapping friends with the host were invited to Party B or C.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »
I would rather have 3 parties, esp. if I could afford to hire help.

Because a party of 30 is fun with lots of opportunities for interaction, but a party of 120 is completely impersonal. If the place is big enough, 40 would be nice but (to me) beginning to veer to the impersonal.

And I love the grab-bag of names each year, so that for guests, some of the people are people you've partied with in previous years, and others are new-ish.

With repeated nights, the food can be essentially the same, just more of it. The place is all spiffed up once.