Author Topic: Bicycle seats question  (Read 1386 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
Bicycle seats question
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:21:59 AM »
Is there a bicycle seat that won't make my um....lady parts....numb?? I really want to start riding a bicycle again, but when I hopped on my daughter's several months ago, just sitting on it in the driveway was really uncomfortable and made everything down yonder go numb.  I can't possibly be the only one who has experienced this!

Help!  Suggestions?

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Bicycle seats question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:55:40 AM »
A beach cruiser bike will be your friend.  They have nice wide, cushy seats.  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Jones

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:17:13 AM »
There is a woman I know who swears by a pair of "bicycle pants" that have built in cushion in the crotch/butt area. I, however, think they look hilarious and would prefer to not wear them. Check out gel padding that goes over the seat; I know Walmart sells them in the biking section, not terribly pricey either.

I was most disappointed last spring when we were looking at bikes and I realized I needed a mountain bike with gears in order to ride in my (very hilly) area, instead of a cute beach cruiser.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:21:38 AM »
I'm sure they do, I know that there are specialized seats for men.  If there's  a bicycle store near you, I'm sure they'd be glad to help you out.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:24:27 AM »
There are a lot of different bike seats designed for women. Check out Bicycling Magazine for reviews on them. Here's a general article on choosing a bike seat:  http://www.bicycling.com/maintenance/bike-fit/how-choose-saddle

Getting a comfortable seat is an issue for both men and women. There's a lot of info out on the internet, but basically, the right seat for you is the one that causes the least amount of pain.

The padded bike shorts are the original bike shorts. The unpadded fashionable version followed later. I know a lot of serious bike riders who won't get on a bike without them.

In addition to getting the right seat, it needs to be at the right height. Here's a general article on adjusting your bike to fit you: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bike-fit.html
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

joraemi

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »
Thank You!

ilrag

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »
Do you have a good bike store near by or a friend who bikes a lot who can help you?

The kind of seat that will be the most comfortable depends on what kind of bike you're riding (because you sit differently on a cruiser than you do on a road bike) so it needs to support your weight differently.

Anything might be uncomfortable at first, but after a couple of rides you should get used to it. Like when you first learned to walk in heels - it's just a new way your body is supporting your weight.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »
I have no suggestions but I once took an intro to spin class, and while I loved the idea, I was literally in such excruciating pain, I knew I could never do it. And for several days after, major numbness in certain areas of the nether regions., it was horrible.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 10:00:28 PM »
This is also affected by your - for lack of a better phrase - center of gravity.  Women who are "top-heavy" tend to balance differently on the seat than women who are more proportionately endowed, and women with larger thighs also have issues that women with thinner thighs don't.  Having your pedals too high/low, having your seat too high/low, and having the distance between them be the wrong angle can also affect the way your rear and your legs move against the padding on the seat.  I don't know that there's particularly an easy answer to what's "best" (other than that padded bike shorts really do make a difference).  Before you spend money on something new, though, play around with the seat height and see if a small adjustment makes it feel any better.

joraemi

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 11:20:18 AM »
Wow - who knew all of these variables came into play when riding a bike! You all are certainly giving me lots of good information.  Thank You!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
I need a bike with something like a tractor seat on it.  That'd be the bike for me!

cwm

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 02:17:41 PM »
In HS I was in a spinning class with my parents at the Y. They both had the gel padding for their seats, but the one time I tried their padding, I was in a new world of pain for the whole week.

Then I started actually riding my bike around. I was really sore, and asked if I could borrow mom's gel seat. On the actual bike it made a huge difference and I was actually more comfortable than I'd been in a while. It was the difference of moving around and having to actually change where my weight was on hills and turning and such rather than sitting still on the stationery bike at the class that pushed me into needing it.

I'd check with a bike store. I've seen some extra wide seats which could have helped me out a lot years ago, but were too expensive at the time. Someone at one of the stores would be able to have a nice long conversation about where you're riding the bike, what parts of you exactly are hurting, and help you get exactly what you need.

Arila

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 05:57:26 PM »
I have the cushy seats, and still I find the angle of the seat makes a huge difference in my comfort and also the pressure points.

If you're handy, you could try loosening (but not completely removing) some of the nuts under the seat just until it will click through some orientations, then re-tighten. Nose-down will move the pressure point more to your "sits bones" But don't go too far, it will make you feel like you're getting dumped off!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 06:05:53 PM »
Decades ago I used to do a lot of road and off road biking. I had special seats on both of my bikes.

Take a look at the Nishiki line for cost effective but there are some awesome saddles that make pending 4 hours on a bike a lot more comfortable.

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »
Rather counterintuitively, you might actually need a harder seat, tilted somewhat forward. The aim is to have most of your weight supported by the bones of your butt rather than the squishier bits in between.

Here's a very frank - perhaps to the point of NSFW - discussion of the issue: http://lovelybike.blogspot.co.nz/2011/04/on-female-anatomy-and-bicycle-saddles.html
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde