Author Topic: Relaxation/meditation CDs  (Read 1107 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Relaxation/meditation CDs
« on: September 16, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »
Does anyone use relaxation or mediation tapes?  I recently got a copy of my physical therapist's CD for relaxation.  She made one for her patients.  I love it, and so does the cat.  She settles down along side me on the bed and just relaxes completely.  I love to see that. 
I am looking for other meditation/relaxation tapes.  I wondered if anyone has some favorites,  I also like one I have called Waves.  It's just ocean sounds. 
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Arila

Re: Relaxation/meditation CDs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:45:18 PM »
I have an mp3 that I've had for YEARS the title is chakra sounds meditation, and it's 45 minutes long. I like to put it on when I'm having trouble sleeping or drowning out noise when I want to sleep. I like it because there's some really deep on-going noises interspersed with bells etc.

There are some really long ones for only a dollar on amazon.

Oh Joy

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »
Everyone responds to something different (for better or worse!) but Don Campbell's Essence is my personal #1.  You can listen to samples on Amazon to see if it's something that resonates with you.  http://www.amazon.com/Essence-The-Ambient-Music-Campbell/dp/B00000AGCI

There are also a lot of long tracks (an hour or more) on YouTube, just search for 'ambient music' or 'meditation music.'

Jem

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:02:31 PM »
My favorite relaxing music is Steve Roach's Structures from Silence.  Most nights around our house we have Pandora on with space (ambient) music playing. 

Good luck finding something perfect for you!

momof2weenies

• (3 weenies now!)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 04:30:27 PM »
If you're on YouTube, look up The Honest Guys - I really like some of theirs, and they even have some that are Lord Of The Rings-inspired ("Middle Earth Meditations").
"Dachshunds are like potato chips. You can never have just one."

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions.  That gives me something to work with.  I have such terrible insomnia that I never (and I mean never)  get a nights sleep.  Just naps of an hr or two and then I am wide awake with my mind churning.  I hate that!! 
And I cannot stand to stay in bed.  We sleep in the room with the computer and my physical therapist asked if I thought that might bother me with it's electro- magnetic field.  I've taken to removing it from the room every night.  I think I've seen some improvement but I still would like to get 6 or 7 hours sleep instead of 1 or 2.  At least that feeling that I cannot, cannot stay in the bed because I feel so uncomfortable being there has subsided a bit.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:01:22 PM »
I love that your relaxation tape calms your cat down.  I'd love to calm Sassy, my tuxedo devil, down.  But I'd be afraid that Peggy, the rotund one, would end up comatose!

I'm partial to a series of tapes that are nature based.  Thunderstorms, waves, loon calls, spring peepers, and the like.  I'm trying to think of the name of them.  They might be Canadian based, though, because I know one of them was based on sounds of Algonquin Park.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

perpetua

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 07:05:50 PM »
Not a CD, but I really like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEl6_pRK4-w - I have absolutely horrible anxiety and find this really helpful.

Also, if you like rain sounds, this is great: http://rain.simplynoise.com/ It has a sleep timer, so I often use it to nod off to at night.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »
I just remembered the name of that nature based series I like - 'Solitudes'.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Me

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 08:38:09 AM »

I have some of Paul McKenna's, his 'control stress' and 'I can make you sleep'.

I also have many of Sandy MacGregor's guided meditations.  He is a very inspiring person in terms of the things he has overcome in his life.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_MacGregor

Good luck Bijou on your search, I really hope you find some things that work for you.  :)

Psychopoesie

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »
I like Ian Gawler's guided meditation. He's an Australian who turned to meditating to help him deal with cancer.

His meditations are simple and leave me feeling very relaxed. My favourites are a meditation that uses the sound of bells as a focus for relaxation and a visualisation exercise that involves white light imagery.

This is the CD I started with.

http://www.iangawlerwebstore.com/product/meditation-pure-simple-2

daen

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »
These aren't commercially-available CDs, but if you're interested in making your own playlist or purchasing the music and burning your own mix CD, the following might work for you.

When I was doing massage therapy, I made my own mix tapes for background music. The one I used most was from R. Carlos Nakai's album Earth Spirit - I didn't use the tracks with the eagle bone flute, because it was quite high-pitched, but the remainder were very nice. I had a few clients ask me where they could get their own.

On another, I used selected tracks from Yo-Yo Ma and Bobby McFerrin's album Hush, and I had two classical music mixes - one exclusively classical guitar (Julian Bream and Andres Segovia), and the other orchestral.

Sadly, I don't have any of those track listings on my current computer, but I'll be able to get to that info in a week or two, so PM me if you're interested.

cwm

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »
I remember when I was in yoga and we were doing our beginning meditation, the teacher would have some songs with ocean noises to start out.

Personally I'm fond of Ray Lynch for relaxation. Some of his stuff is a bit upbeat, but if you take the slower songs they're wonderful. "The Vanished Gardens of Cordoba" is a great song to start with. I can't remember any of the other songs that would be good off the top of my head, but if you'd like, I can run through my computer and find some.

I've found that thunderstorms or whale songs work well for me too.

There's a program on NPR called Music From the Hearts of Space, and if you can get their playlist and look into any of those songs, it might help too.