Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

A Variation of This Phrase, Annoying Coworker and the Cake

(1/3) > >>

BeagleMommy:
Annoying Coworker brought in cake this morning.  She told everyone it was a sugar-free Jello cake so BeagleMommy can eat it.  I've made Jello cake myself so I needed to know if the jello part was the only sugar free part or if the entire cake is sugar free.

When I asked her what she used to sweeten the cake she said "Sugar, of course!".  I said "Oh, thanks for bringing it in, but I can't eat it if the entire thing isn't sugar free."

She got this confused look on her face and said "But the jello was sugar free.  You can eat it.  You have to have some because I made it sugar free."

I just said again "I can't eat it if the entire thing isn't sugar free.  Using sugar free jello doesn't make it a sugar free dessert.  Sorry, I can't have any."

It was a nice thought, but it just wasn't possible for me to eat it.  She just didn't seem to get it.

PastryGoddess:
She made a sugar free cake using...sugar.  LOL.  I can't even. 

hahahahahahaha 

I was over here feeling pretty sorry for myself, I feel much better now after that laugh

TurtleDove:
I would have just casually not eaten any and not brought it to her attention.  If she pushed it, I would explain, but otherwise, I would have just let it slide.  Of course it depends how many other people were involved - if it's lots of people this is relatively easy, if it's just one or two, it would be more difficult. 

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: TurtleDove on September 16, 2013, 04:07:18 PM ---I would have just casually not eaten any and not brought it to her attention.  If she pushed it, I would explain, but otherwise, I would have just let it slide.  Of course it depends how many other people were involved - if it's lots of people this is relatively easy, if it's just one or two, it would be more difficult.

--- End quote ---

But she was trying to figure out if she could eat it--it seems extreme to think the OP should have just forgone it when it was possible that she might have been able to eat it, and when it was made especially for her...

TurtleDove:
I mean I would have responded differently after asking.  Like this:

From the OP:
When I asked her what she used to sweeten the cake she said "Sugar, of course!". 

My response:  "Oh, okay!" (Casually grab coffee, go talk to someone else, whatever involves not eating the cake but not essentially calling out the coworker for being "stupid," which is how this came across to me).

Now, I agree the coworker was daft to think she could use sugar elsewhere and have it be okay, but I think the OP could have handled this in a less potentially offensive manner. I know I rarely notice who is and who is not eating whatever unless they actively comment on it somehow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version