Author Topic: Domain Name / Email Question  (Read 372 times)

aka

Domain Name / Email Question
« on: September 16, 2013, 08:08:50 PM »
So after reading an article on Lifehacker, I decided that I should register my name's internet domain.  So, let's pretend that my name is
Amelia Keene.  I registered" ameliakeene.com".  I was unfortunately unable to register just my last name, as it is taken by a Russian company.  I am trying to decide what email I should use and wanted some opinions.

amelia@ameliakeene.com
ak@ameliakeene.com
me@ameliakeene.com
mail@ameliakeene.com

anything @ameliakeene.com is a bit unweildy, so I was thinking of registering keene.me and trying amelia@keene.me  I was really hoping for kee.ne with amelia@kee.ne, especially as I always have to spell my last name,but unfortunately that is also taken

Opinions, suggestions, I would love them all

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Domain Name / Email Question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »
Anything with a .me (or anything other than .com or maybe .org) is going to result in a lot of lost mail, because people will send it to the .com variant of your domain instead.  Beyond that, pick something you can say over the phone without having to spell out, and something you can write down - I have a very old email which includes initials like "PKL11" and I constantly have to write the "L" as a capital and put the flanges on the "1"s and even then sometimes I feel like I need to draw in an arrow saying "L" or "one."

Also keep in mind, if you take something obvious like amelia@ameliakeene.com, you're going to get a TON of spam because spammers will guess your email.

squeakers

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »
If you are like me and have unlimited email addresses:

make one to be your primary email.. never give that email out ever except to your webhost. I suggest a random set of letters and numbers and that you write it down somewhere until you can put it somewhere safe on the 'net.  I have things stashed on my website, on my hotmail account and on my google account. I use a bare description so I know what that address is for and what the PW is.. so if for hotmail.. I might write squeaker hm 66ttyy77 and save that info in an email to myself or from myself in my google mail or one of my domain mails.

Why on the 'net? Because papers/notes/notebooks get moved or lost.  Pcs die or get virus.

make one to be your primary family email: could be keene66family33@keene.com with the first set of numbers being how many in your immediate family and the last being your birth year or something.

make one for work: wor5k5eene@keene.com <- random numbers just to help defeat dictionary spam

and then make one for trash/spam.. trash@keene.com and redirect any mail not going to real addies to it (if you have cpanel that is easy to do).  What's nice about _that_ is you can then sign up to your heart's content and know that any resulting spam will go to one spot where you can delete it easily.  And now and then you can peruse your spam and see that dogsgonewild (your favorite doggy video site so you used it with @keene.com as the addy) sold your address and now you are getting diet spam.  And then you might block that diet site and stop going to that website (since they either sold your address or were compromised and didn't tell you.

So: primary which is never used, family and friends, work and trash.  Oh.. and forums!

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:48:39 PM »
I have quite a few clients who do this. they usually do firstname@domain.com.  For those who have a separate work email, I've seen office@domain.com or job title@domain.com. i.e president@domain.com

I'm of the KISS contingent.  Keep it Simple Stupid.  Don't get all fancy with your mailbox names, because your domain name IS your name, so people are going to know who they are sending it to anyway.