News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 16, 2017, 11:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!  (Read 218957 times)

o_gal

Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Reply #1260 on: December 28, 2016, 08:52:01 AM »
My family is in the process of moving to a new state.  When we looked at houses, most were fine.  One, however, stood out as the one that made us all wonder what they were thinking.

The house itself was just fine.  The back yard, however, consisted of a very large in-ground pool, surrounded by concrete patios.  There was a large fence, and I think there one one token plant in a pot near the fence.  That's it for the entire back yard.  Why is this a problem?  Well, from the kitchen window you could look out across the pool across the yard, over the back fence and see- the park district pools!  Less than 100 feet from the back fence.  Two of them, with a splash pad and locker rooms, and no membership fee.

Public pool management issues? There is a public pool in my hometown. It requires membership but it's not that much. We had gone to it for years, then the management changed. They cut down on the number of personnel there, and took some authority away from the ones who were, the lifeguards. Now the teenagers who had always tried to cause trouble had more freedom, since no one was stopping them. The number of private backyard pools soared the summer after it happened.

otterwoman

« Reply #1261 on: December 29, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »

We renovated a three-bedroom house that had been convereted to have upper and lower apartment. The way they ran the gas lines was really not to code. And as far as we cold tell, the down stairs tenant showered in the middle of the basement under a spigot over the floor draing. (Yes, it was a super-creepy house).

We reconverted it back to a single-family home.

My grandparents house had an open shower with a floor drain in the basement. It was very useful for them. Grandpa worked in the shipyards and would get absolutely filthy. He would come home, and shower in the basement before coming upstairs. It kept him from tracking dirt throughout the house. Plus, their pet turtle loved showering with him

squeakers

« Reply #1262 on: December 30, 2016, 04:59:08 PM »
So my Oldest Son (23) is buying his first house.  It's actually nicer than the first house DH and I bought. 2 stories with 1 bedroom downstairs and 2 upstairs plus loads of closet space.   The kitchen was a new addition and it's pretty spiffy.  The bathroom was new too but it has a bathtub vs a tub/shower combo.

Except for 3 things that were kind of iffy:

1) the upstairs has no heat or AC.  We've already discussed how to solve that if his Middle Brother (1) decides to move in. If MS doesn't want to pay rent to his older brother OS can just use the whole upstairs as storage.

2) Tied into that is there isn't a bathroom up there either and it has the narrowest stairs... so at least a urinal to keep Midnight trips from being dangerous.   And maybe a small fountain type wash basin.   This will depend on how close to the new bathroom this one bigger than a closet but not really room is for tying a sewer pipe and water in.

3) Had us scratching our heads and wondering.  2 of the rooms have a nice whitish carpet that has blackish streaks in a swath like un-pattern.  It made me wonder if the original owner had a roomba and a pet had an accident. OS wants vinyl or tile (he has asthma) so ripping the carpet out won't be a big deal.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #1263 on: December 30, 2016, 07:18:25 PM »
So my Oldest Son (23) is buying his first house.  It's actually nicer than the first house DH and I bought. 2 stories with 1 bedroom downstairs and 2 upstairs plus loads of closet space.   The kitchen was a new addition and it's pretty spiffy.  The bathroom was new too but it has a bathtub vs a tub/shower combo.

Except for 3 things that were kind of iffy:

1) the upstairs has no heat or AC.  We've already discussed how to solve that if his Middle Brother (1) decides to move in. If MS doesn't want to pay rent to his older brother OS can just use the whole upstairs as storage.

2) Tied into that is there isn't a bathroom up there either and it has the narrowest stairs... so at least a urinal to keep Midnight trips from being dangerous.   And maybe a small fountain type wash basin.   This will depend on how close to the new bathroom this one bigger than a closet but not really room is for tying a sewer pipe and water in.

3) Had us scratching our heads and wondering.  2 of the rooms have a nice whitish carpet that has blackish streaks in a swath like un-pattern.  It made me wonder if the original owner had a roomba and a pet had an accident. OS wants vinyl or tile (he has asthma) so ripping the carpet out won't be a big deal.

I'd find out if the house was to code or if the 2nd floor wasn't an illegally converted attic.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #1264 on: December 30, 2016, 07:28:56 PM »
I wouldn't put a urinal-only or urinal and sink only bathroom in a house unless you don't care about resale value. Is a toilet really that much harder to plumb? What about if your son ever has a female guest overnight?

A floor without a bathroom is odd to start with, though.

gramma dishes

« Reply #1265 on: December 30, 2016, 07:52:49 PM »

...  A floor without a bathroom is odd to start with, though.

When I was young, I didn't know anyone whose house had an upstairs bathroom!   ???

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #1266 on: December 30, 2016, 08:11:54 PM »
I live in a house where the upstairs was once an attic, but was converted into two bedrooms and a bath. If they hadn't put a full bath upstairs, we wouldn't have bought the house.

I would strongly urge putting a full bath (at minimum a toilet, shower, sink) upstairs.

We also have oil heat downstairs and electric heat upstairs. Clearly the renovation was done at a time with high oil prices...

Minmom3

• Not super patient these days.
« Reply #1267 on: December 30, 2016, 10:46:09 PM »
DD#1's ex-boyfriend bought a house that may well have been a bank foreclosure. It was most likely a grow house, as it had some very odd but heavy duty reflective insulation in the downstairs bedrooms. The bathroom was older and normal.  The kitchen had been updated, haphazardly, and had a very nice granite counter on 3 sides. Garage was OK. Transition between the garage and house was strange, and I'm guessing was an add-on to the original home.  The coup de grass, as they say, was the upstairs 'master bedroom'.  Up Very Skinny stairs that were far too lacking in head space for me, let alone the man who bought the home, who is 6'7". And that bedroom! 1 or 2 power sockets for the entire large room.  With very ugly amber 'bottle glass' windows on the street.  And the 'master bathroom'?  Looked as if it had been transported wholesale from an old travel trailer.  The same paneling. No counter around the sink, no storage under it, a pass through into a walk in closet with more ugly paneling (which had no access except via the bathroom), a large Jacuzzi tub, with a sky light over it, and more amber glass facing out on the street.  And the tub was so dirty it looked like somebody had done some potting in it, except nobody in their right mind would have used that bathroom, up those awful stairs, to do any potting, as there was a perfectly serviceable back yard with faucets and no need to clean up a tub post work....

Super odd. Older neighborhood on the edge of non-residential zoning, with mature trees, so no a lot of light in the house. I wouldn't have bought that house myself, as I don't have carpentry or electrical skills to gut and re-do the top floor bedroom.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!  True fact: Eggs can be just as hard to unload as zucchini!

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #1268 on: January 03, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »
The Grow House in the PP reminded me of one we looked at.  It had been a Party House, as in lots of Scramble playing going on. Innocent little old me thought that 'party house' (which is what the realtor told us) meant a vacation retreat, maybe for an extended family.  But the layout was really odd even for that.  The bedrooms had no privacy and there was lots of mirrors and countertops in strange places.  Like there was a 5' wide wall in the living room between a corner and a doorway.  It had a sturdy countertop with nothing underneath it and  a wall of mirrors above it.  Bathrooms were sparse and weirdly placed.  It wasn't until DH casually referred to it as the sx house that I made the connection. 

We were looking for cheap house for DH to gut.  But it was a tad expensive, a tad outside my desired commute distance, and someone else had fenced in some of the land, and the amount of land that came with it was fuzzy. 

Nornster

« Reply #1269 on: January 03, 2017, 10:33:50 AM »
The coup de grass, as they say, was the upstairs 'master bedroom'

Was this typo intentional? Talking about a coup de "grass" in a post about a grow house is very funny!

Minmom3

• Not super patient these days.
« Reply #1270 on: January 03, 2017, 10:57:39 PM »
I bow.....    Yes...  Hideous house that brought out the silly in me.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!  True fact: Eggs can be just as hard to unload as zucchini!

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #1271 on: January 04, 2017, 03:48:24 PM »
My family is in the process of moving to a new state.  When we looked at houses, most were fine.  One, however, stood out as the one that made us all wonder what they were thinking.

The house itself was just fine.  The back yard, however, consisted of a very large in-ground pool, surrounded by concrete patios.  There was a large fence, and I think there one one token plant in a pot near the fence.  That's it for the entire back yard.  Why is this a problem?  Well, from the kitchen window you could look out across the pool across the yard, over the back fence and see- the park district pools!  Less than 100 feet from the back fence.  Two of them, with a splash pad and locker rooms, and no membership fee.

Even if it didn't have any management problems, maybe the public pool was just too crowded.  I certainly don't enjoy going if I can't find a chair or the pool has more people than water in it.

Public pool management issues? There is a public pool in my hometown. It requires membership but it's not that much. We had gone to it for years, then the management changed. They cut down on the number of personnel there, and took some authority away from the ones who were, the lifeguards. Now the teenagers who had always tried to cause trouble had more freedom, since no one was stopping them. The number of private backyard pools soared the summer after it happened.