News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2016, 12:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 200205 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #1170 on: August 15, 2016, 10:54:46 AM »
Definitely a thrift score, but I will have to wait for the end result to see if it really was a good one.

A blog I follow mentioned an online consignment site, which I had never heard of, so I decided to check it out. I sell on Poshmark, mainly my stuff I don't want anymore, along with stuff for select family and friends.

So I go on, and the site sells new with tags, good condition, and ok condition clothing, mens, women's, kids, babies, etc. So I'm checking out the women's stuff and wow. Found some fabulous NWT bargains. Like really cheap, on some higher end brands. So the wheels began to turn, and I thought hmmm, i bet if i bought these, I could sell and make some $$.

So i bought a bunch of stuff, and will try and sell and make a profit. Then because I was bored, I placed a second order. All in all, I spent about $200 on about 1K worth of NWT clothing, and can probably double my money.

Its an experiment, but one that will hopefully pay off. Worst case? I sell it all for what I bought it for, and that's that.

But one item I got was a NWT Talbots wool blend suit jacket. which retails for $209, paid 13.50.

ANy chance you'll share the site name with us?

Absolutely! swap.com

they apparently buy too, but reviews say they don't give much, and refuse a lot

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #1171 on: August 15, 2016, 05:17:55 PM »
Went to the local Goodwill, all green tag children's books were 10 for $1. then at the register, I found out that all green tags were50% off. So 10 children's books were 50 cents!

and #borecore, I'm jealous.  those are gorgeous. I have a similar set that I inherited from my Grandmother, but yours look to be in much better condition than mine.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

GreenHall

« Reply #1172 on: August 16, 2016, 08:14:21 AM »
Definitely a thrift score, but I will have to wait for the end result to see if it really was a good one.

A blog I follow mentioned an online consignment site, which I had never heard of, so I decided to check it out. I sell on Poshmark, mainly my stuff I don't want anymore, along with stuff for select family and friends.

So I go on, and the site sells new with tags, good condition, and ok condition clothing, mens, women's, kids, babies, etc. So I'm checking out the women's stuff and wow. Found some fabulous NWT bargains. Like really cheap, on some higher end brands. So the wheels began to turn, and I thought hmmm, i bet if i bought these, I could sell and make some $$.

So i bought a bunch of stuff, and will try and sell and make a profit. Then because I was bored, I placed a second order. All in all, I spent about $200 on about 1K worth of NWT clothing, and can probably double my money.

Its an experiment, but one that will hopefully pay off. Worst case? I sell it all for what I bought it for, and that's that.

But one item I got was a NWT Talbots wool blend suit jacket. which retails for $209, paid 13.50.

ANy chance you'll share the site name with us?

Absolutely! swap.com

they apparently buy too, but reviews say they don't give much, and refuse a lot

Well that was a productive morning for someone.  They do make it easy to limit things, mostly.  And checkout with Amazon is awesome :)

I miss Twice but these prices were very nice.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1173 on: August 16, 2016, 08:29:42 AM »

Well that was a productive morning for someone.  They do make it easy to limit things, mostly.  And checkout with Amazon is awesome :)

I miss Twice but these prices were very nice.

I miss twice too! Although I think about how much stuff I sent them, and while overall I made a decent amount, had I been aware of Poshmark, I could have sold a lot more, and made a lot more.

My first order comes tomorrow; I was doing some resaerch to see if i could figure out the original price of stuff i bought. I have no idea how old any of it is; i do know by the tag i can see, the talbots jeans I got for $7 are a good 10 years old, so they sold for $59.

But one dress; a gorgeous strapless Ann Taylor red/black rose pattern strapless, i bought for $9, and orig. cost was $228!

i won't get anywhere near that, but i can list at about 50, maybe get 40, and profit (after their % on sales) $23.

Chibikoky

« Reply #1174 on: August 16, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »
Re: Swap.com

Agreed on the great to buy from (especially if you are looking for lower end clothes) but bad to sell to. I tried- sent a whole box of which only three dresses were accepted. After their cut, I got $2.35. So a bit miffed about that, but I've yet to find another secondhand site with a wide selection in plus sizes. My wardrobe looks far better since finding them!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1175 on: August 17, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »
Re: Swap.com

Agreed on the great to buy from (especially if you are looking for lower end clothes) but bad to sell to. I tried- sent a whole box of which only three dresses were accepted. After their cut, I got $2.35. So a bit miffed about that, but I've yet to find another secondhand site with a wide selection in plus sizes. My wardrobe looks far better since finding them!

If you're willing to put some time and effort into it, i sell on Poshmark; you set the prices, and keep the items until they sell, then pack and ship out to the buyer. which is good. You do have to work at it, sharing and following, but I've done pretty well. In a year, and most was my own stuff, just a few items for friends, I've made over 2K.

Cons: millions of users, hundreds of thousands of users, and they take 2.95 on items under $15 and 20% on items that sell over that. But, for that, they take care of shipping, all you do is print out a label.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #1176 on: August 17, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »

5 shirts, 2 skirts, 4 pair of pants, a pair of pajamas, a pair of sunglasses, a bag of blocks and a gorgeous winter coat for $74 at consignment! With the things I had already squirreled away, all my daughter really needs for winter now is a pair of snowpants and some bigger socks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:42:13 PM by Black Delphinium »
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1177 on: August 18, 2016, 08:13:05 AM »
So my first box from swap.com arrived; I probably should have figured out that new with tags, does not mean current season! Some of the stuff is from past seasons, which I can tell by labels, tags, etc. But, since i stuck with basics and classiscs, i should be able to do well, aside from one.

A very pretty, long, wrap paisley skirt from Ann Taylor. I can tell by the style, craftsmanship, tag and label its older, much older. I figured sometime in the 90's. Add to that the label says "made in USA" it was a given. and digging around online, i found a site that has a listing of clothing labels, from different stores, makers, and timeframe, and my label was in the 90s!

I only paid $9 for it, so i think i can probably sell it and make that back. It is a bit dated, but not too much. Could be worn with a cute sweater and boots to look current.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1178 on: September 15, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Today I scored a nearly new pair of Ralph Lauren 650 women's jeans for $4.98 at a thrift store.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

gmatoy

« Reply #1179 on: September 15, 2016, 10:52:57 PM »
Friend and I went to a Value Village today. We bought nothing. Went to a St. Vincent de Paul, where I bought a bag of 7 pieces of clothing for $6.00, a bag of clothing for $8.00, some quilting magazines for 25 cents each, two pieces of fabric, 3 yards for $3.00. Color me happy. She put some clothes into my bag and a book into my bag. Which, since she does the driving, works for me.

Happy ;D

guihong

« Reply #1180 on: September 21, 2016, 12:36:04 PM »
A heavy silver vase marked "International Silver Co.", so it's plated, but I thought it was really pretty.  It has a ring of swirls around the neck.  It was $6.00, and I just found an identical one on Ebay for $140.00.

A silver cake stand marked "Godinger" with a grapevine pattern all around the edge.  It was $4.00; similar ones online were $75-$100 and up.

Both need a lot of untarnishing and polishing, but as I love silver things for my table, it was a good buy!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1181 on: September 21, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »
VorSon took me out to run errands (tendinitis in one wrist & thumb make driving uncomfortable & he needs the practice driving - win/win situation - plus I bought lunch).

First stop was Goodwill.  I was looking for a purse with a smartphone sized pocket for air travel (found a Multi-Sac for $4 that will easily fit into my laptop bag when it comes time to board) and then we walked to the back (looking for odds & ends of kitchen gear & such to replace not-working stuff that was trashed).  On the way to the front, he saw a leather jacket that he liked...but it wouldn't fit him, perfect for his dad though...VorGuy's leather jacket is over 30 years old (may be a decade older, I don't remember when he got it). 

His current jacket's lining is shredding out and the leather shows more wear than even "distressed leather" looks good showing.  The one at the Goodwill - cleaning tag stapled to interior & lining in good shape, no tears or holes.  Called him to see what my price limit was - as we couldn't find a price tag or even a "rack price list".  Several jackets down the rack, I spotted another leather jacket...the correct size for VorSon.   Got a price check at the register...

Both jackets and my purse, minus my 30% Senior discount today, under $18.  VorSon likes his jacket, but VorGuy was swanning around the bedroom in his even though it's 92 degrees Fahrenheit outside.  He likes the style better than the older jacket's. 

VorSon did an online search - leather jackets of similar quality *started* at $130 for new - $17.xx for two & a small microfiber purse compared to the $260 plus and whatever tax would have been on the higher prices of new...big savings.  Since VorGuy was an accountant for the military for much, if not all of his career, he really likes it when the savings is 90% plus!  He might even think that was the best part of getting a new jacket!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?