Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5102511 times)

Morty'sCleaningLady

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #28260 on: Today at 11:56:29 AM »
I was stuck at a light last night in the southbound lane of a pretty busy road.  There is one southbound lane, one northbound lane, and a short left hand turn lane closer to the light.  Both the southbound and northbound lanes have bike lanes and then a solid curb.  The southbound side was about 4 feet of grass and trees, then a double width sidewalk.

I figured from where I was stopped, I was three light cycles from getting through the light and it's a pretty long one.  Then I got passed.  A white Jetta passed me and all the cars.  Thankfully, the vehicle and it's SS driver didn't use the in-use bike lane.  Rather, s/he pulled into a company's driveway and made a hard left on to the sidewalk.  He pass all of us and pulled into the last company before the light, a used car dealership.  What was particularly of interest to me was that the sidewalk driveway junctions all lowered.  (I hope that is clear.)  So the sidewalk is raised and then it ramps down a little, is level with the driveway intersecting and then raises back up to a higher level without any curbs.  It would be convenient for those in wheelchairs.  Anyway, the car looked like a bobble head doll as it raced along at probably 30 mph for about a quarter of a mile.  No pedestrians or people leaving the corporate driveways were inconvenienced by this Special Snowflake.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

nayberry

« Reply #28261 on: Today at 12:55:34 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner, specialus snowflakeus zoo-visitus,

Daddy didn't think the barriers between him, his son and the Tigers were anything to worry about, so he lifted his son over so the son could pet the big kitty... Can you see where we are heading? yup it was a monumentally stupid idea

url whited out below as i've forgotten how to format properly

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2712043/Boy-11-hand-torn-tiger-Brazilian-zoo-father-let-climb-safety-barrier-stroke-cage.html

Jocelyn

« Reply #28262 on: Today at 01:08:21 PM »
That is tragic for the boy, but even more tragic is the idea that an 11 year old has not had any training in understanding that the world doesn't work like TV. We've gotten too far away from nature, that so many people don't understand that animals are not just big friendly dopes that would never harm a soul. I've been seriously bitten by my HOUSE CATS when I was trying to rescue them from a situation where they were in pain and frightened. I have a cat who regularly nips at me when I'm trying to groom the tangles out of his coat. I know that if I persist, I will get bitten, and in 2 minutes he'll be back purring for forgiveness. I know that danged near no horse is ever so well trained that you can be certain that he won't ever step on you, kick, or bolt. And I know that maybe there are tigers who are loving and trusting and will enjoy being petted...but I wouldn't bet that any given tiger is going to want to be petted by me.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #28263 on: Today at 01:11:30 PM »
^^ Well, I've always used this phrase to describe a really good-looking man:  "I'd totally let him eat crackers in bed." 

Which means that I'd endure a few cracker crumbs between the sheets because he is just so dreamy.

A late friend of mine used to say that, then he would put his hand out to shake and say "Hi, My name is Crackers".

nayberry

« Reply #28264 on: Today at 01:15:02 PM »
^^ Well, I've always used this phrase to describe a really good-looking man:  "I'd totally let him eat crackers in bed." 

Which means that I'd endure a few cracker crumbs between the sheets because he is just so dreamy.

A late friend of mine used to say that, then he would put his hand out to shake and say "Hi, My name is Crackers".

lol, and i bet that worked too!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #28265 on: Today at 01:22:31 PM »
Sunday we had major storms throughout the area, which knocked out a lot of power lines.  Monday morning, I am on my way to work, and I am getting bogged down at all the intersections with non working traffic signals.  Oh, well, can't be helped.

The road I was on is 2 lanes in each direction, and at the (non-working) light ahead, the right hand lane must turn right onto a different road, while the left hand lane goes straight.  The left hand lane is a parking lot, but luckily for me, the right hand lane is almost clear, and that's the lane I need.

Except for the car in front of me.  It seems this upstanding driver is using the empty lane to get to the front of the busy lane.  He is crawling along, blinker on, trying to nudge his way into the busy lane.  But nobody will let him in.  They have served their time waiting, and are in no mood to give a line cutter a break.

So now he is at the corner, still angling for the lane, but now he is also blocking me from making my right turn.  Oh, no.  Traffic does not shut down for you, in either lane.  I honked.  The cars in the busy lane honked.  Cars trying to pull onto the road honked.  He ended up pulling into a parking lot, perhaps thinking that there was an exit at the back which could circumvent the intersection.

There is a certain amount of karma in his final decision.  That parking lot is ridiculously difficult to get out of under good conditions (no exit at the back).  I wonder how long he was trapped.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28266 on: Today at 01:46:58 PM »
That is tragic for the boy, but even more tragic is the idea that an 11 year old has not had any training in understanding that the world doesn't work like TV. We've gotten too far away from nature, that so many people don't understand that animals are not just big friendly dopes that would never harm a soul. I've been seriously bitten by my HOUSE CATS when I was trying to rescue them from a situation where they were in pain and frightened. I have a cat who regularly nips at me when I'm trying to groom the tangles out of his coat. I know that if I persist, I will get bitten, and in 2 minutes he'll be back purring for forgiveness. I know that danged near no horse is ever so well trained that you can be certain that he won't ever step on you, kick, or bolt. And I know that maybe there are tigers who are loving and trusting and will enjoy being petted...but I wouldn't bet that any given tiger is going to want to be petted by me.

And again, even a placid housecat can suddenly turn and bite for no apparent reason.

I'd not really call this being a Special Snowflake so much as being a sheer, dunderheaded idiot. "Hey, my son, let's go handfeed the tiger!" is not something anyone with an ounce of intelligence would ever say.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #28267 on: Today at 02:20:29 PM »
When I first saw what that article was about, I was assuming another 3-year-old or something (since the father lifted him over the fence).  It seems like every year there's another 2- or 3-year-old getting hurt at the zoo because they can't see through the protective barriers, so their parents circumvent them.  But an 11-year-old?  That's an age in which the kid should have known better himself, idiot parents or not.  Oy.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #28268 on: Today at 02:44:14 PM »
I looked at some news sites in Portuguese. The boy was photographed earlier that day, similarly trying to feed a lion.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Coralreef

« Reply #28269 on: Today at 02:52:57 PM »
I looked at some news sites in Portuguese. The boy was photographed earlier that day, similarly trying to feed a lion.
I don't even handfeed a dog/cat that is not mine, just in case.  That father is criminally negligent.   

[/right

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #28270 on: Today at 02:57:29 PM »
When I was leaving a nearby Wawa today, a little girl (about 8 or so) was standing right in front of the double doors.  I said excuse me, and reached to push the door open, and she reached out with both hands and grabbed onto the door handles, preventing me from opening either one of them, and said, "I'm waiting for my mom."

But no, this wasn't a situation where the parent doesn't correct their child.  Her mother, who was waiting in line, overheard and turned beet-red, saying, "Don't you do that, you get over here!  You can't just block the doors like that.  Now stay beside me."

Color me pleasantly surprised.  :)

Shalamar

« Reply #28271 on: Today at 03:00:12 PM »
I'd like to nominate the three idiots who attended the same afternoon matinee of Edge of Tomorrow that my husband and I attended yesterday.  First, they came in ten minutes after the movie started, talking loudly and giggling. 

They then realized that the movie had already begun and yelled "Start the movie over!  Hee hee hee!".

They found their seats but took forever to sit down.  For some reason the girl in the group kept saying "Help!" and then giggling madly.

Then they struck up a very loud conversation, despite repeated angry "shushes" from me.  One of the other ladies in the theatre roared "Will you kids please keep quiet?", and that silenced them for all of five minutes.

Then, the girl started to find everything funny.  No spoilers, but at one point a minor character called Tom Cruise a "coward", and I thought that girl was going to bust a gut from laughing so hard.

When I couldn't take it anymore, I went to get an usher.  Either that did the trick, or they passed out - I suspect that drugs and/or booze was responsible for all the giggling.  Plus, I heard the tell-tale "pop-fsssssh" of a can being opened, several times.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:01:43 PM by Shalamar »