News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 24, 2017, 04:05:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3533956 times)

CuriousParty

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11460 on: September 21, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »
I accepted a resignation from someone who regularly threatened to quit.   My predecessor always caved in, and agreed to whatever this man wanted.  The first time he tried it with me was the only time he had the opportunity to try it.  Most satisfying..

It really is. I had an employee once who chafed at being supervised by a woman, and a young one at that. My boss hired him over my serious reservations - he had been in administration for his career and I thought it unlikely that he'd take to field work well in his retirement. Well I was right - his paperwork was a mess, his client meetings unproductive and poorly documented - things that could cause the business big problems. And of course it was my job to correct these things. He threatened to quit every time and my boss always soothed his wounded ego. Until I finally put my foot down - next time I'm accepting his resignation and it's him or me. She didn't know how to run the dingdangity place either. So the next time he threatened to quit he heard "If that's what you feel is best." So. Offended. He stormed out and wrote a three page letter to my boss about how unprofessional I had been to accept his resignation. I grinned like a Cheshire Cat for a week solid.

MrTango

« Reply #11461 on: September 22, 2017, 08:16:55 AM »
If you're a security guard and the policy book tells you not to do something because it will be a distraction from your duties, you probably shouldn't do it.

If you've been caught doing it and the supervisor gives you a verbal coaching, you probably shouldn't do it again.

When the supervisor checks the coaching log and realizes you've been coached before, and then gives you a verbal warning (with written confirmation to your employee file) at the end of the shift, you should stop doing it.

If, after a couple verbal warnings have been issued and the entire supervisory staff has been made aware of the pattern of behavior, you get caught again and written up, you really need to shape up.

In the end, I caught him again.  I knew that that point that his termination was just a matter of the Big Boss & HR person sitting down to do the paperwork, so I placed him on an unpaid suspension, which could only be lifted after a sit-down meeting with the Big Boss.  Apparently, the HR person just copied the suspension letter I wrote (which included the litany of documented coaching, warnings, and write-ups), changed the wording to indicate he was being terminated effective immediately, and that was the end of that little problem.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #11462 on: September 22, 2017, 03:36:29 PM »

If you've been skating on thin ice for a while, and in the middle of a huge argument with your manager you scream out, "I quit!", you shouldn't be surprised if your manager immediately accepts your resignation and no, is not interested in revisiting the topic.

And as a follow up...

When your manager discovers you hadn't done two particular jobs that by State statute had to be submitted in July and August, she's really not going to want to revisit the topic.