Author Topic: Cat Care Question  (Read 478 times)

quietgirl

Cat Care Question
« on: October 18, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
I went to cut my cat nails and I noticed that they were bitten very low, to the quick in some cases.  It's usually very difficult to cut her nails and they end up being pretty long and sharp, so to see them so short and jagged was very shocking.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Should I take her to the vet?

catwhiskers

Re: Cat Care Question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 08:41:39 PM »
Does she go outside? My vet told me claws can end up like that from being hit by a car, apparently cats often try to grip onto the tarmac when it happens. (I found this out after taking one of mine to the vet with an unexplained injury. On inspection, his claws were all torn up as well. He made a full recovery).

quietgirl

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 08:43:48 PM »
No, she never goes outside. 

Nothing has changed in her environment either.  I read that she could be chewing her nails due to anxiety from a change in her environment, but everything's the same around here.

HorseFreak

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:46:55 PM »
Could be anxiety, but I would recommend a checkup at her vet just in case. Feliway diffusers and spray are great for anxious cats and available at any pet store. My cats can't travel without it or they go ballistic in the carrier. With a couple sprays they are half as crazy.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 09:46:51 PM »
definitely a vet visit is in order. If she recently tried to jump somewhere high and missed/scrambled/fell off, she could have stubbed them all down to nubs scrambling. Anything have new big scratches on it?
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

quietgirl

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 10:24:39 PM »
definitely a vet visit is in order. If she recently tried to jump somewhere high and missed/scrambled/fell off, she could have stubbed them all down to nubs scrambling. Anything have new big scratches on it?

Ooooh!  That makes sense!  She's my climber and I haven't seen her on the top of the cat tree in a while. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 10:55:56 PM »
That could be cause, or effect. If she jumped and missed, and tried to grab on, she could have broken her claws, and then nibbled on them to take off the rough edges. And having broken her claws, she wouldn't want to try to jump up there again with sore toesies.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 01:07:41 AM »
Definitely get her in to the vet just in case, but it does sound like she might have fallen or missed a jump and tried to grab on. I think you'd probably know if she was a chewer - I've got one who chews her claws (and one who occasionally nibbles hers) and not only is she constantly at it, it's loud. She wakes me up if she does it on my bed...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~