News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 09:09:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2500823 times)

rose red

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #12480 on: November 17, 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
Okay, I feel like this is a really stupid question, but, that's what this thread is here for, right?

I just signed up for a knife skills class (yay, me!) They provide the knives, yes? I assume they do for liability (and upselling) purposes, but don't know for sure.

Can you briefly explain what 'knife skills' are? 
Do you learn to use them for culinary purposes?  Throw them at targets?   Kill wild animals with the fancy ones advertised on late night TV?  Or do you use a variety of sharpeners and polishes and special microfiber cleaning cloths to keep your cutlery in tip top shape?

They are culinary classes aimed at teaching people how to use different types of knives found in the kitchen.

Some classes do provide knives, but you can bring your own if you'd like for familiarities sake.  And you can always contact the class organizer and ask :)

I'd call the organizer. If at a cooking store like Sur La Table, they will provide the knives because they also want to sell you knives. Other places might suggest you bring your own knives.

Yeah, I think this is one of those questions that you have to ask directly from the source since there's no universal right or wrong answer. Unless you don't want to ask and bring your own just in case.