News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 29, 2017, 06:13:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 178766 times)

lilfox

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #1110 on: April 19, 2017, 11:40:50 PM »
I didn't get rid of a lot of stuff doing it, but I just put my DD's room back together - everything had to come out so the walls could be painted.  It's much more organized now.  She may not care and it won't stay that way, but it looked so tidy there for a bit.

I'm about 25% done with going through my clothes for the upcoming clothing swap.  First pass never generates much, but I get more ruthless as the date draws near.  Also I figure I can always take back items if no one else wants them and I change my mind (leftovers get donated), which I almost never do because of the new-to-me stuff I get in the swap.  My goal is to arrive with two bags and leave with one, which I've been able to do several times now.

The big upstairs declutter effort is still on hold until the renovations are done.  I really want to 'help' DH declutter his stuff but it's too low a priority for him and he won't give me decision-making authority.   :)  It's not that much stuff all told, but he does have half a closet worth of clothes that he's never worn in the 11 years I've known him.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #1111 on: May 05, 2017, 07:22:44 PM »
Pysychopoesie, Great work!! Sometimes one clear space can make doing another bit easier. And then another.

And if you have an attachment to staplers, ;) may I suggest that you get one of the small ones that are magnetic. When I was going to college, I had one on the refrigerator. DH and kids were forbidden to remove it from the kitchen. I could always find that one. The big ones, with dedicated drawer space? Not so much.

Also, I bought a 3 hole punch that was flat and was designed to fit in a 3 ring binder. Other students were always begging to use it, but they had to bring their stuff over to me. My hole punch, my rules. No one ever argued about it.

That magnetic stapler sounds like a great idea. Will keep an eye out. I still do need one heavy duty one as well because I'm still studying and some of the articles I print are too long for anything else.

I have a great two hole punch - the only one I have left after donating several I picked up over the years.

Had fourth session of decluttering last week. Kitchen, laundry and meals areas are now done.

Today, I have cleaners in to tackle the kitchen and the rest. They're even cleaning my oven. Yay!

gmatoy

« Reply #1112 on: May 10, 2017, 05:40:48 PM »
I'm starting to regain some of my energy, so I have been trying to clean up the sewing room. Three bags out today and one ready to go either tomorrow or Friday. (Sadly, the sewing room is where a lot of other things are stored, so that is the stuff that is going. Cookbooks, light reading, and some sewing books are out. As are the plastic holders for CDs; I put CDs into paper envelopes so they won't take up so much room. Lots of magazines went also.)

FauxFoodist

« Reply #1113 on: May 19, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »
Just realized that part of my decluttering is letting go of how "special" something is so I actually use it.  I held onto a few cake stands from our wedding but hadn't used any of them yet (we recently donated most of them since we didn't have any takers for them).  I baked a cake a couple of days ago and wanted to put it on the covered cake stand I have then realized I was afraid DH would break it.  It then dawned on me there's no point in having any of the "practical" stuff if I'm too afraid to use it *ever* because I think DH will break it (legitimate concern because he breaks/damages things all the time).  There are things he's not to ever touch (like my stand mixers and rotisserie oven), but I don't want to have to treat him like a child when he wants cake because I'm afraid he'll break the cake stand.  Chances are likely he will break it or, at least, chip it because he's just that clumsy and careless.  However, it had been sitting on our china cabinet for 4.5 years, and now that I have something I need it for, there's no point in having it if I won't use it.  I'm happy to say it's now on my kitchen counter with said cake under the dome.  I just hope we can get some decent use out of it before it gets broken (I've resigned myself to accepting chances are likely he will break it, but I'd rather that than it be nothing more than a dust collector).

In other non-decluttering news -- DH's well-meaning CW keeps giving us stuff for our puppy.  DH is the sort who doesn't say no when people want to give him things, be it food, money, furniture, etc.  I don't want to be a spoilsport, but he came home with a soft-sided pet carrier that's too big for our puppy and takes up room (and I said I'd never be okay with using it to transport her because it's soft-sided and too big).  He came home yesterday with a couple of puppy-training books (I read online for puppy-training).  I appreciate the thought, but we don't need these things.  She also gave our puppy a toy, but that I'm okay with because the pup destroyed her other toys already.  DH seems so happy to get these things so I don't want to tell him to please think about it before bringing these things home so I figure I'll have to wait until we're almost done with decluttering (which we are a long time from being) then mention that we never use these things and don't have room to store them so do we really need to keep them.

Cleargleam

« Reply #1114 on: May 22, 2017, 07:19:12 PM »
Organized a new way to store CDs. Got my new-to-me CDs into paper envelopes and recycled the plastic that they came in. Pulled some CDs out for re-homing. Got my infinity  scarves onto pants hangers with "swing" arms; one hanger should hold 3 pairs of pants, but they really hold a lot of scarves. Decided to re-home some of the scarves. Went through some books and will be giving some away; know where/who to give them and have them in a bag for Monday when they will leave my house!

Taking lots of breaks and am out of energy...but my bed is trashed, so I have to clear that off.

I'm curious - how many scarves do you get on the hanger before it gets too heavy?  I loved the idea of the scarf rings hanger but the scarves' weight adds up. 

~Cleargleam

gmatoy

« Reply #1115 on: May 22, 2017, 11:32:40 PM »
Organized a new way to store CDs. Got my new-to-me CDs into paper envelopes and recycled the plastic that they came in. Pulled some CDs out for re-homing. Got my infinity  scarves onto pants hangers with "swing" arms; one hanger should hold 3 pairs of pants, but they really hold a lot of scarves. Decided to re-home some of the scarves. Went through some books and will be giving some away; know where/who to give them and have them in a bag for Monday when they will leave my house!

Taking lots of breaks and am out of energy...but my bed is trashed, so I have to clear that off.

I'm curious - how many scarves do you get on the hanger before it gets too heavy?  I loved the idea of the scarf rings hanger but the scarves' weight adds up. 

~Cleargleam

About 10/12 per "arm" so 30/36 per hanger. I would suggest not letting any one else know that you have these hangers...DGD walked out with a few, because she asked and I am a grandma..."no" is only in my vocabulary when something could hurt her.

crazycatlady331

« Reply #1116 on: May 23, 2017, 06:55:53 AM »

~Cleargleam

I have a scarf hanger (well it is cat shaped) that has various compartments for scarves.   My (non winter) scarves are gauze like consistency so I don't worry about the weight.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1117 on: May 23, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »
Going through clothes as they get hung, some are immediately sent to the donate pile, and others are hung in the closet. I am harvesting hangers since they seem to be dwindling in this move.

Also getting donated: a CD alarm clock, a sound machine, and a mini shelf speaker and stereo shelf.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1118 on: May 23, 2017, 09:16:02 AM »
I did a little bit of decluttering while switching out my closet from winter to summer. Decided to donate about 6 or 7 pairs of shoes. which I hadn't worn at all, so didn't make sense to put them into storage, only to take them out in the fall and donate them then. I also organized all my clothes, shoes and bags, which I still have way too many of!

Kaypeep

« Reply #1119 on: May 23, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
Our city had electronics recycling day last weekend so we were able to purge some old junk. Not as much as i'd like because my SO is a borderline hoarder (I say this having a hoarder parent so i'm not kidding here) but I was relieved he finally let go of some stuff including old pagers and walkie talkies.  It feels soooo good decluttering and getting space back. Space to breathe or just enjoy by not being cluttered.  Clutter stresses me out so much.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1120 on: May 23, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »
My church is having a yardsale on June 3rd.  I'm really hoping I can get a couple of boxes gathered up and cleared out.  Though my decluttering is complicated by not knowing whether or not my youngest nephew is moving out to an apartment in the fall.  I'd hate to give away all the stuff he needs to set up house and then have him need it. 
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1121 on: May 23, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »
Our city had electronics recycling day last weekend so we were able to purge some old junk. Not as much as i'd like because my SO is a borderline hoarder (I say this having a hoarder parent so i'm not kidding here) but I was relieved he finally let go of some stuff including old pagers and walkie talkies.  It feels soooo good decluttering and getting space back. Space to breathe or just enjoy by not being cluttered.  Clutter stresses me out so much.

Oh me too! Nothing more satisfying than seeing a cleaned and clutter free space! Last year I straightened out my linen closet. And the proceeded to open the door and stare at it multiple times for the next few days.

And, while I'm by no means a filthy slob, I'm always amazed how great my apt looks right after I dust and vacuum. It never seems bad until I do it!