News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 09, 2016, 02:16:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2058679 times)

TracyXJ

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #8295 on: Yesterday at 12:12:39 PM »
If you take your driving test in the U.S. in an automatic, does that mean you can also drive a car with manual transmission?  I cringed when watching Gerald? in NCIS crash the gears in Ducky's beloved Morgan...

Yes.  Well, whether or not you can actually do it and risk destroying the car is something else entirely.  But there is no separate test for a manual vs. automatic.  Plenty of people take the test in an automatic when they will be driving a manual. 

Seems kind of crazy now that I think about it.  But so does being able to take the test in the instructor's car instead of your own to me. 

Luci

« Reply #8296 on: Yesterday at 12:26:44 PM »
If you take your driving test in the U.S. in an automatic, does that mean you can also drive a car with manual transmission?  I cringed when watching Gerald? in NCIS crash the gears in Ducky's beloved Morgan...

Yes.  Well, whether or not you can actually do it and risk destroying the car is something else entirely.  But there is no separate test for a manual vs. automatic.  Plenty of people take the test in an automatic when they will be driving a manual. 

Seems kind of crazy now that I think about it.  But so does being able to take the test in the instructor's car instead of your own to me.

I didn't have any trouble, but then I grew up watching people drive a stick even though I never had myself until we just went out to an empty parking lot to practice. I actually was better with that particular car than someone who had learned to drive on one. 😀

pattycake

« Reply #8297 on: Yesterday at 01:49:13 PM »

In Canada, at least the part where I live, there used to be two licences, sometime prior to the 80's as that's when I got my license. I remember seeing a sign on the front of the Motor Association's driving school main counter that said something about telling them if it was an automatic or manual, and when I asked about that they said it didn't matter any more. I had a manual but took the test in the instructor's automatic as it was hard enough to concentrate without worrying about shifting and stalling. My friend's daughter's car is standard, and I encouraged her to take the test in my current automatic. It took her four tries to get her licence, and she did use her own car on the second or third attempt, but went back to my automatic. Partly her parents' fault for teaching her a couple of bad habits on the manual that will get you a fail on the exam!

Mustard

« Reply #8298 on: Yesterday at 02:13:31 PM »

Most people here don't have a car of their own until they can legally drive.

TracyXJ

« Reply #8299 on: Yesterday at 02:27:19 PM »

Neither do a lot of people here.  A lot of kids use their parent's cars.  Its just a very different scenario to me since most folks around here (rural Southeast US town) don't take classes, usually they are taught by a family member in the family car.  Only "class" I took was driver's education in high school.  While that seems like it would be a class that would teach you how to drive, you had to at least have a permit and it was pretty much assumed you already had the basics of driving down.  The class was really just so your parents could get a discount on their insurance.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8300 on: Yesterday at 03:44:08 PM »
Automatics are so much less complicated to drive, I can't imagine it would be easy to switch from auto to manual.

Trying to recall a never shopping there again story to help us back on track but most of my recent retail experiences have been positive.

I did stop shopping for clothes at David Jones (DJs, a big high end department store) a while back, the nearest location anyway.

Their fitting rooms have solid doors, no gaps at floor level so you can't tell if someone is in there unless you knock or call out first. Unfortunately not everyone thinks to do that and the doors to the fitting rooms do not lock.

Every time I tried on clothes there, someone tried to barge in without knocking, the last time hitting me in the back. Ouch! Plus the embarrassment of fending off the intrusion while semi-dressed.

I wrote to DJs and suggested they put locks on the doors there. Nope. That would encourage shoplifters apparently.

Since I don't feel comfortable trying on clothes there, they also get a nope from me. Nowhere else seems to have the same issue, so there are plenty of other places to take my money.

LadyDyani

« Reply #8301 on: Yesterday at 03:54:58 PM »
One of our stores has low doors on the fitting rooms. Low enough that you can make uncomfortable eye contact with people changing. That was pointed out to bossman and now new doors are on order.

I never had a problem switching between an automatic and a manual. I've gone 10 years in an automatic, then hop in a friend's car to drive them home and still shift smooth as ever. Most cars will have the clutch engage in a different position, but you can feel the clutch catching. Also, a manual will have a cheaper purchasing price, especially for a used car.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8302 on: Yesterday at 05:05:48 PM »
One of our stores has low doors on the fitting rooms. Low enough that you can make uncomfortable eye contact with people changing. That was pointed out to bossman and now new doors are on order.

I never had a problem switching between an automatic and a manual. I've gone 10 years in an automatic, then hop in a friend's car to drive them home and still shift smooth as ever. Most cars will have the clutch engage in a different position, but you can feel the clutch catching. Also, a manual will have a cheaper purchasing price, especially for a used car.

With switching from the auto to manual, I was thinking of someone who'd never learned to drive a manual, not someone who just hadn't done it in a while.

As for fitting rooms, wish DJs was as responsive as your store.

Mustard

« Reply #8303 on: Yesterday at 05:22:31 PM »
As mentioned upthread, if you pass your driving test in an automatic car you are not legally allowed to drive a manual in the U.K.
And I really dislike fitting rooms with curtains instead of a door.  Thankfully the days of communal fitting rooms seems to be long gone; I loathed those; if I found one room with lots of half-dressed women in it, I never tried on the garment draped over my arm..
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:25:31 PM by Mustard »

Kiwipinball

« Reply #8304 on: Yesterday at 10:31:41 PM »
As mentioned upthread, if you pass your driving test in an automatic car you are not legally allowed to drive a manual in the U.K.
And I really dislike fitting rooms with curtains instead of a door.  Thankfully the days of communal fitting rooms seems to be long gone; I loathed those; if I found one room with lots of half-dressed women in it, I never tried on the garment draped over my arm..

I don't think I've ever seen a communal dressing room.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #8305 on: Yesterday at 11:07:37 PM »

Neither do a lot of people here.  A lot of kids use their parent's cars.  Its just a very different scenario to me since most folks around here (rural Southeast US town) don't take classes, usually they are taught by a family member in the family car.  Only "class" I took was driver's education in high school.  While that seems like it would be a class that would teach you how to drive, you had to at least have a permit and it was pretty much assumed you already had the basics of driving down.  The class was really just so your parents could get a discount on their insurance.

Here you have to take classes, and aren't allowed to drive without the official instructor until after you get your license - so most people have never driven any other car before their test, which means it makes sense to take the test in the instructor's car.

Last I checked (which has been several years) you had to take the test in a manual - but DK is like the UK in that regard - the default is a manual, and very few automatic cars are sold.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #8306 on: Today at 01:15:25 AM »
Manual or stick is a dying thing for the most part here in the US. There are some vehicles that really need it but that minivan or compact? Not so much.

I could drive one if my life depended on it but I like automatic and don't feel the romance of stick at all.

Nothing to see here.