News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 25, 2017, 04:03:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2398209 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #8550 on: July 21, 2017, 10:47:56 PM »
When we lived in a town where cable was not an option (only satellite) we had DirectTV, bundled with Qwest for our phone/internet. No problems - when our original promo ended and our prices went up, I called and asked what they could do for me, and they found me another discount.

Once we moved, though, and couldn't have satellite (but still had internet & local phone through Qwest), everything was fine until CenturyLink bought them. Then we got a notice they were doing away with our VOIP service, so I called in, and got a guy who said they couldn't port our number (a lie). Finally just went with a new number, but then that was never activated and we kept getting calls on the old one. Called back, and the CSR admitted the first guy had lied (and was presumably just lazy or something) and got our number ported over. Of course having a regular landline as opposed to VOIP cost a little more, and when our contract was up, I was so sick of them I swore never to go back.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #8551 on: July 21, 2017, 10:55:10 PM »
I was in a shop (in the UK) towards the end of last year and their card machine had stopped working.  The manager had got out the old slider machine to take payments as that was the companies back up policy.  The only problem was that none of the staff, including the manager, knew how to use it.  I showed them what to do and left them happily practicing (they were using a loyalty card instead of a credit card).

Just had this happen at a discount bookstore Sunday. All the charge machines had dropped internet connection. The young manager located their old "knucklebuster" and some charge slips. I had to show them how to put the card and slip into the machine, and it worked great on my card. But the next guy in line had a new card where the numbers weren't raised, and I stuck around to show them what they had to write down from that one.....They were grateful.

MissRose

« Reply #8552 on: July 22, 2017, 05:50:31 AM »
I wish I could stop using them, but UPS has gotten on my last nerve. We had a package scheduled for delivery today, and they failed the first attempt. "The receiver was not available at the time of the first delivery attempt. A second attempt will be made." Except... no. I was downstairs getting dinner together when I saw a big brown UPS truck pull up, double park for about a minute, then pull away. The driver never got out.

Same here too.  Since I got a notification of a window for a delivery from Nordstrom (which is a place that has GREAT customer service), I set it to be placed on my porch as the window was during my work at home time, and no guarantee I could get up and run down my apartment steps when the door bell rang.  The window comes and goes, and close to 7pm which was 3 hours outside the window of 12 to 4, I see the truck pull up and about a minute or so later, leaves.  My apartment has 2 porches, with each tenant's last name on the door bells.  The person did not even bother to look for a 2nd porch which was mine.  I would have been very angry if someone stole my package.  I went to claim it off the wrong porch it was placed on.  I would have been livid if I had not changed the delivery method as a slip would have been prolly left and no attempt to locate the correct door bell & porch.

magician5

« Reply #8553 on: July 23, 2017, 09:27:31 PM »
Can any of these delivery people PHONE when they arrive, giving you time to get downstairs? I'm only 15 feet from my door, but the people are gone by the time I raise my lift chair and hobble across the floor.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

MissRose

« Reply #8554 on: Yesterday at 05:58:06 AM »
Can any of these delivery people PHONE when they arrive, giving you time to get downstairs? I'm only 15 feet from my door, but the people are gone by the time I raise my lift chair and hobble across the floor.

Most likely not.  Some places have them on a very strict schedule with little deviation beyond having a break and perhaps a 30 minute lunch time, and a bonus - a few minutes for a potty break outside of lunch & break time.

hjaye

« Reply #8555 on: Yesterday at 08:37:11 AM »

Most likely not.  Some places have them on a very strict schedule with little deviation beyond having a break and perhaps a 30 minute lunch time, and a bonus - a few minutes for a potty break outside of lunch & break time.

This is true.  I worked for UPS twenty years ago for one summer loading their trucks.  These drivers had to do a minimum of 100 stops a day.  A computer would generate a time and mileage chart for their route.  they had very little leeway (maybe and hour tops but I really don't think it was that much. and I think they give them a fifty mile leeway) So if a ten hour route was run in 11 hours and one minute, they would get dinged, or their mileage was supposed to be 240 miles and they did 300 mileage, they got dinged.  too many and they would be fired.  So if they have 100 stops and lose a minute on each stop, that's one hundred extra minutes.  It's easy to see if they have spent extra time at one stop. say ten or fifteen minutes they will try and shave time off of their other stops.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #8556 on: Yesterday at 08:45:29 AM »

During a brief recovery I stuck a note on the door stating that "Due to recent injury, please allow an extra few minutes for me to get to the door".  Worked great for the few deliveries I had.

I love, love our UPS driver, both at the office and my home.  But I also know there are less friendly drivers out there. 

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #8557 on: Today at 02:00:06 AM »
Speaking of credit cards - when my husband passed away seven years ago we had a Discover Card with a balance of just over $100.  We'd had the card ever since Discover Card first was issued - maybe 25 years ago or so.  Used it all the time, always paid the balance on time and they gave reward checks every so often so we loved it.  I called them a few days later to inform them that he had passed away.  Imagine my surprise when a few days after that I received a letter from Discover's lawyer demanding that I pay my bill (which was not due for 2 weeks) immediately or a collection agency would be calling me.  I paid the bill, but never received the $40 or so dollars in rewards they owed me.  I have a deep, deep loathing for that company.

That's always one way of engendering customer loyalty: wait till they're down, kick them a few times, and threaten them with lawyers/debt-collectors. </end sarcasm> >:(

That's probably why all the comments I've read about Zappo's are in the 'Undying Loyalty' (can't remember the real name) spin-off rather than here: they seem to believe a bereaved person needs a little extra kindness, not salt rubbing into the wounds.
A friend of mine told me about when her aunt was struggling to make the bank understand that her husband had died. They refused to help her with closing his account and moving the cash to her account, insisting that they needed to they account owner, despite her having faxed them his death certificate multiple times.

She finally got annoyed enough to take the urn his ashes were in, walk into the bank and ask to speak to someone in charge of accounts. She tried once again to get the account closed and when they started up with the same old "We have to talk to the account owner" thing, she put her husband's death certificate down on the desk and plonked her husband's ashes on top of the certificate on the bank employees desk and said "Go ahead, talk to him".
<3