News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 25, 2016, 12:51:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2623736 times)

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #20295 on: July 23, 2016, 12:29:53 PM »
Re: nicknames: My youngest niece's nickname is Lulu. Her actual name is not even close.
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

Carotte

« Reply #20296 on: July 23, 2016, 06:33:57 PM »
Re: nicknames: My youngest niece's nickname is Lulu. Her actual name is not even close.

My cousins nickname is Joe, his real name is Marc-Henry (names are changed but it's the same kind of thing)...
There's a kinda explanation/logic behind it. And I wasn't sure but he still goes by Joe, at least when with family.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #20297 on: July 23, 2016, 08:22:19 PM »
There is no reason that a name "needs" a nickname, but a remarkable number of people will insist on looking for one. I have a friend who started using the nickname "Rivka" because it was the only way to get everyone around her to stop shortening Rebecca to "Becky." A simple "no, it's Rebecca" or "please call me Rebecca" didn't work.

So I wouldn't advise against a name because it doesn't have a nickname, but if there is a common/standard nickname for the name you're considering, think about whether you like it, and how it goes with the surname. That is, if you wouldn't name a child "Jenny Penney," it's not a good idea to name her "Jennifer Penney."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #20298 on: July 23, 2016, 08:59:34 PM »
I have both a nickname and a common abbreviation of my name.  I have insisted on people using my full name for nigh on 60 years.  However my family use my nickname which makes me feel wanted and loved.  But only family use it.

It always amazes me when people who I barely know and who are introduced to me by my proper name think it is fine to use the abbreviation.  I remind them twice about my name and thereafter refuse to acknowledge that they are speaking to me.

Allyson

« Reply #20299 on: July 23, 2016, 11:20:16 PM »
The opposite happens too! I have a long, feminine "elegant" name (not Allyson ;)) that is very unusual. It is objectively really pretty, but doesn't suit me. So I use a nickname that is more common. (Think Alex from Alessandra) People will find out my full name, and really like it, so they insist on using it because they like it better, even though it isn't my preference.

I am a big fan of names with nickname options that the *person with the name* can pick from, but that's just me. ;)

Lindenharp

« Reply #20300 on: July 23, 2016, 11:59:28 PM »
My late DH had a common male name with a standard nickname (think 'Joseph' and 'Joe'). He preferred the full version of his name, in part because his dad was called 'Joe'. When people called him 'Joe' he would often reply "Seph", completing the name. At a family funeral, I could tell which relatives hadn't seen him since he was a little boy, as they called him 'Joey'.

bridalviolet

« Reply #20301 on: Yesterday at 06:52:21 AM »
My given name is Violet. My nickname is Dottie. Why? Because when I was born, my mother's baby sister was only 18 months old and just learning to talk. The first time she saw me she thought I looked like her baby doll, and tried to say "dolly." It came out "Dottie." So I've been Dottie to my family since I was three days old. You can tell who has known me longest by who calls me Dottie and who calls me Violet.

dawnfire

« Reply #20302 on: Yesterday at 06:40:21 PM »
I have a nick name that I only let half a dozen people use as they've known me since I was born.
Whittlesea Victoria

Margo

« Reply #20303 on: Today at 06:58:55 AM »
Of cours, names evolve like anything  else - John and Ivan, Elizabth and Isabel and Elisaveta, Lucy and Lucinda, Margaret and Margery, Sarah and Sally are all examples of names where the alternative versions are now considered names in their own right, rather than diminutive or alternte versions of the ame name. i think that names like Jack and Harry and Kate are all getting to that point, and no doubt there are others which will follow.

I think indeciding which name, and which version, to give your chil, it's useful to think not only about what suits them now, but also how they may wish to present themselves when they are older. I have seen some names where I wonder a little about this - Alfie is cute for a small boy, maybe less so when he is a teenager or adult, for instance

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #20304 on: Today at 08:19:59 AM »

I think indeciding which name, and which version, to give your chil, it's useful to think not only about what suits them now, but also how they may wish to present themselves when they are older. I have seen some names where I wonder a little about this - Alfie is cute for a small boy, maybe less so when he is a teenager or adult, for instance

Exactly. It makes me stabby when people say stuff like "Wilhemina is a name for an adult, not a little baby!" Or "We named our baby Precious Little Angel because she's so small". Well sure, but: babies grow up.
Nothing to see here.

Browyn

« Reply #20305 on: Today at 08:22:14 AM »
Of cours, names evolve like anything  else - John and Ivan, Elizabth and Isabel and Elisaveta, Lucy and Lucinda, Margaret and Margery, Sarah and Sally are all examples of names where the alternative versions are now considered names in their own right, rather than diminutive or alternte versions of the ame name. i think that names like Jack and Harry and Kate are all getting to that point, and no doubt there are others which will follow.

You also need to consider - are you setting them up for a lifetime of arguing with people about their names?  My Grandmother's middle name was Justina.  She went by Jessie.  I was named Jessie (mid 1960s, Justina sounded "too old fashioned" to my parents).  I have had to argue with countless teachers, employers, etc that my name is not short for anything, especially Jessica!

malfoyfan13

« Reply #20306 on: Today at 10:23:59 AM »
I brought up the nickname thing because DIL and I were discussing it.  There are a lot of names she likes that have common nicknames she does not like, such as "Lizzie" vs. "Elizabeth" or "Jimmy" vs "James".  While it's true that many children's names evolve into an unrelated nickname, a lot of people are prone to immediately call the child (or adult once they grow up) by the common nickname.  I had a boss who did this with everyone.  He started out as a salesman and I guess he got into the habit of calling people by whatever nickname seemed appropriate to establish a friendly rapport.  It backfired on him when a new employee came into the company.  He started calling her by a diminutive right away and she kept correcting him until he finally "got it" - her name was "Christine" not "Chris".  My DIL has an unusual name and she only goes by it, not by a shortened version, and she doesn't want her child to have that problem.  It's so frustrating for parents to have to keep reminding people of their child's actual name.

Her other problem with names is that she and DS have a lot of disagreement over the names themselves...but hopefully they'll sort it out by December.  LOL

malfoyfan13

« Reply #20307 on: Today at 10:34:47 AM »
Also wanted to say - in saying "nicknames" in my first post, I meant diminutives.  :-)  Nicknames can, of course, be completely different from the actual name.