News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 23, 2017, 06:17:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I can't even... and other stories  (Read 1086 times)

lilfox

I can't even... and other stories
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:07:39 PM »
This happened last night:

DS (3) throws a screaming meltdown because he had a messy diaper and wanted ONLY Daddy to change it.  DH was working on electrical stuff and I'm not doing anything so to any sane person, of course I need to do it.  Naturally, DS throws such a huge fit that DH has to stop what he's doing and come hold the kid down just so I can change the diaper, which is the worst kind of diaper situation there is.

During this screaming fest, which is audible throughout the house, I hear DD (7) from the next room also screaming, "Mom can you come in here??" in an increasingly panicked voice.  I cannot, so I yell back something to the effect that I'm a little busy.

It takes around 10 minutes to deal with the aftermath, so when DS is settled in the bath (still wailing), I finally go over to DD's room to find out what she needs so urgently.

She wants me to help her fold an origami crane.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: I can't even... and other stories
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 03:21:37 PM »
Only one child, but I swear I've had that happen.

My favorite at the moment are all the people who forget or ignore the required documentation they need to provide, then expect us to move mountains to get things done for them in time for classes. Classes start Monday.

Example: Applicant was admitted 12/21. She submitted her paperwork 12/23 and wants to know why it wasn't processed before Tuesday. We were closed. There were notices on the web page where she submitted her paperwork. She doesn't think that is fair.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: I can't even... and other stories
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 09:25:49 PM »
I used to work for the DMV.  Years ago, I had a customer who had purchased a motorcycle from someone in NY state.  We processed the title, and a few weeks later, I was notified that there was a major problem with the paperwork.  The VIN (vehicle id number) and the title number were exactly the same.  Now, the VIN is assigned by the manufacturer, and the title number is strictly a numerical control number (like a invoice number).  Perhaps NY state made a mistake when recording the VIN (the VIN on the title was unlike any VIN in the USA).

Anyway, I contacted the customer: was the bike assembled from several different bikes and this was an attempt to assign it some, any serial number?  Oh, no, the customer assured me.  It was a 2005 Harley, nothing unusual.

Okay, then we need to have the bike inspected by a police officer, who can then certify what the VIN is.  Until we can determine for sure what the VIN is, you will not get a title, plate, or registration.  No problem, says the customer.

Now, here is where I hit the "What the...."  The customer contacts me.  He is selling the bike, and he needs the title NOW.  The only thing is this is 18 months after our last conversation.  He has made no attempt to have a police officer inspect the VIN, and he needs this title at 5 pm, the Friday before Memorial Day weekend.  I don't even have the paperwork anymore.  After never hearing from him and making one more attempt to contact him, I returned all the paperwork to our central office after 6 months, a year prior to this conversation.

All records were dropped from the computer system, and the paperwork is probably sitting in a filing cabinet in the equivalent of the dead letter office.  I can't help you.  The phones into the central office will not be answered until next Tuesday, and why would you wait a year and a half to do anything about this?  And then cop an attitude because I can't immediately fix your negligence?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy