News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 25, 2017, 01:24:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help for a friend  (Read 420 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

Help for a friend
« on: February 06, 2017, 10:46:52 AM »
I have a friend, who has an autistic 8 y/o child. She keeps getting out of her car seat. Is there somewhere she can get some kind of safety system to keep her safe in the car.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Help for a friend
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 10:58:57 AM »
I have a friend, who has an autistic 8 y/o child. She keeps getting out of her car seat. Is there somewhere she can get some kind of safety system to keep her safe in the car.

I don't have a solution for you, but it might help to clarify - is she still in a booster seat, and if so, what kind?

Edited to add: there are some ideas here - https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?95150-Tips-for-a-child-who-escapes-car-seat, including a vest that fastens in the back (http://www.ezonpro.com/products/familyVehicle.shtmlz).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:02:08 AM by Harriet Jones »

cicero

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »
Do you know what level of functionality she has?  Because what worked for my son (aspergers,  though at the time he was undiagnosed) was to state the rule (*seat belt must be on when we're in the car*) and never start the car until everyone is buckled in.  When he was much younger (2?) he managed to figure his way out of anything (car seat,  crib,  stroller) so we bought an extra safety harness that worked for us. 

If the child is at a level that she understands rules,  then with reinforcement,  that might work. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »
She is nonverbal, I would say the high end of low functioning. I think she is in a booster seat and she keeps unbuckling the seat belt. She does understand some, but I don't see her often enough to say how much.

Thanks for the help!!! 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:30:21 AM by wonderfullyanonymous »

Mustard

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 11:25:38 AM »
We bought several devices to stop our son undoing his seat belt over the years; a new one each time he worked out how to undo the latest one.  We also used the I'm-not-moving-until-you're-all-buckled-in strategy, and the 'threat' of calling in at the police station so PC Malik could have a word.. He called my bluff once, and I found myself outside the cop shop wondering what on earth I was going to say to whoever was on the desk. Fortunately my son decided to buckle-up just as I had the car door open.  We never had any more trouble with seat belts after that!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
We have a device for my grandson but he just wiggles out from under the belt.  Still working on a solution.

Roodabega

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 12:45:59 PM »
Although we did have some issues with seat belts early on with our autistic daughter, the "not moving until belt is buckled" worked after a while.   We did have to stop a few times early and and rebuckle it.  I did a quick Google search on "autistic child unbuckles seat belt" and came up with a lot of hits.   

In my area, I'm in a facebook group for the local Autism Network, and people are asking those types of questions all the time.   I'd suggest that your friend look up local autism groups and get into their Facebook group.   Someone will likely have an answer for the seatbelt question, and likely any other one that may come up.