A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Grammar and spellling that make you twitch

(1/126) > >>

Slartibartfast:
I literally did a spit-take at today's Cakewrecks - who orders a cake with "Ther'e Bach!"?  I may get grumpier about bad grammar and spelling than many folks, but it makes me twitchy  :P

And then driving home today, I came across a new Mexican place which has a ton of signs out front: "Best nacho's in town!  Best taco's here!  Open for lunch's and dinner's!"

*twitch twitch*

What are the most egregious violations you've come across?

Shea:
Yeah, apostrophe abuse gets to me big-time. Also, it annoys me when people confuse "faze" and "phase" (as in, "He noticed the cat was on fire, but it didn't phase him, he just dumped the champagne bottle on her and went on talking to the Prime Minister". It's faze).

BigBadBetty:

--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on September 16, 2013, 08:41:28 PM ---I literally did a spit-take at today's Cakewrecks - who orders a cake with "Ther'e Bach!"?  I may get grumpier about bad grammar and spelling than many folks, but it makes me twitchy  :P

And then driving home today, I came across a new Mexican place which has a ton of signs out front: "Best nacho's in town!  Best taco's here!  Open for lunch's and dinner's!"

*twitch twitch*

What are the most egregious violations you've come across?

--- End quote ---

Check out Apostrophe Abuse: http://www.apostropheabuse.com/.

Apostrophe abuse is a pet peeve. The other thing is quotation marks in strange places.

diesel_darlin:
The Chinese place in my hometown has a buffert.

veronaz:
OP, you might want to correct the misspelling in your thread title.
Grammar (not grammer)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version