News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 05:35:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 337793 times)

EmmaJ.

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #1815 on: October 12, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
 I have given up trying to correct my boss on moot/mute, draw/drawer, and verse/versus.  He just come back with "That's how it's spelled in Connecticut." 

He recently shipped out a training document to hundreds of employes using the wrong version of those words numerous times.   :'(

He is a wonderful boss and a kind, generous person otherwise, so i am hoping everyone assumes autocorrect was being wonky when he created the document. 

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1816 on: October 12, 2017, 06:03:16 PM »
Just saw someone on Facebook had referred to someone else as being "very corky."  Pretty sure they meant "quirky." 

Does one get "corky" from drinking bad wine?  And what is the hangover like, I wonder?  I bet it's worse than usual...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

gramma dishes

« Reply #1817 on: October 12, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »
Just saw someone on Facebook had referred to someone else as being "very corky."  Pretty sure they meant "quirky." 

Does one get "corky" from drinking bad wine?  And what is the hangover like, I wonder?  I bet it's worse than usual...

Definition of corky
corkier; corkiest
1 :resembling cork
2 :having an unpleasant odor and taste (as from a tainted cork)

Maybe the person simply smelled and tasted bad.  ???

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1818 on: October 13, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »
I have given up trying to correct my boss on moot/mute, draw/drawer, and verse/versus.  He just come back with "That's how it's spelled in Connecticut." 

Brings to mind a one-time work colleague of mine, who had assorted quirks of word-use and pronunciation, some of them positively amazing.  She claimed to be Scottish by origin -- though with her being an inveterate "romancer", we her colleagues cynically suspected that in fact she'd never been anywhere near Scotland. When any of her oddities in the language line were remarked on, her standard response was, "That's what they taught us at school in Scotland".

Twik

« Reply #1819 on: October 13, 2017, 09:26:32 AM »

He recently shipped out a training document to hundreds of employes using the wrong version of those words numerous times.   :'(

He is a wonderful boss and a kind, generous person otherwise, so i am hoping everyone assumes autocorrect was being wonky when he created the document.

Well, what would you expect from someone from Connettycut? (As it's spelled everywhere but Connecticut.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Mustard

« Reply #1820 on: October 13, 2017, 10:16:08 AM »

A forum member on another site said she felt it was 'click-y'.  I had to think for a while before I thought of clique-y.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #1821 on: October 13, 2017, 10:27:23 AM »

A forum member on another site said she felt it was 'click-y'.  I had to think for a while before I thought of clique-y.

People who take queues from other people. Or those who take ques.

Both take me a moment to recognise that what they actually mean is cues.

pwv

« Reply #1822 on: October 13, 2017, 11:51:19 AM »
This might have been mentioned previously, but people who say they are going to have their pet "spaded."

Paper Roses

« Reply #1823 on: October 13, 2017, 12:36:46 PM »

Don't forget "queue's". 
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1824 on: October 13, 2017, 03:26:11 PM »

Don't forget "queue's".

I just say queueueueueue and cover all my bases.  ;D

gramma dishes

« Reply #1825 on: October 13, 2017, 04:19:15 PM »

Don't forget "queue's".

Maybe they meant something belonging to the queue?  "Just look at all that queue's litter!"   ;D

becktheriddler

« Reply #1826 on: October 21, 2017, 11:16:31 AM »
I also had a coworker that was very pacific about things. He just loved saying things like "That is pacifically what I asked".
By Grabthar's Hammer...what a savings!

Mustard

« Reply #1827 on: October 21, 2017, 12:56:31 PM »
Someone I worked with was convinced  a ball park figure was actually a ball part figure which made no sense at all (except to her)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #1828 on: October 23, 2017, 11:26:35 AM »
The young woman who is president of our student association sent me an email this morning asking me to send a flier to all students.  The email stated the flier was regarding a "lunch in" with our director.  I looked at the flier and, sure enough, she had written "lunch in".

When I asked her if she wanted me to correct the spelling she told me she didn't understand what was misspelled.  I spelled "luncheon" for her and she admitted she thought people were saying "lunch in" the entire time.  She's 27.

jpcher

« Reply #1829 on: October 23, 2017, 03:56:28 PM »
You know that catch-phrase at work "I don't have the bandwidth to do this right now."

Someone consistently says "I don't have the band with" (wonder where she left the band that is not with her.)