News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 02:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 349661 times)

Mikayla

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #1845 on: October 28, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »

(snip)  There's "language changes" and there's "literally the antonym of literally". I would be peeved if the word "cold" started to be listed in dictionaries as "temperatures above room temperature."

Thank you!  I had the same reaction, but it would have taken me 4 long boring paragraphs to try to explain it. 

daen

« Reply #1846 on: October 28, 2017, 02:26:38 PM »
Not so much causing a twitch, but I do know someone who "supposably" would know better - as in "He supposably said that he would do that, but I doubt it."

Barney girl

« Reply #1847 on: October 29, 2017, 04:19:46 PM »
Has anyone raised the word "random" yet?
I find people at work will say "can I ask you a random question?"  As they actually have a specific question in mind it's almost as though this is a filler word with no specific meaning. Has anyone else come across this?

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #1848 on: October 30, 2017, 06:48:39 AM »
I do this.  :-[  I mostly use it when I'm going up to someone and asking them a question completely out of the blue, as in, there's been no previous discussion of the issue between us. 

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #1849 on: October 30, 2017, 06:54:20 AM »
I do this.  :-[  I mostly use it when I'm going up to someone and asking them a question completely out of the blue, as in, there's been no previous discussion of the issue between us.

Ditto - while it might be a specific question to me (the asker), it's usually apro-pro of absolutely nothing to the person I'm asking (who, luckily for them, don't actually live inside my head and therefore can't see that of course a question about washing socks links to the previous discussion about the TPS report!)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #1850 on: October 30, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »

Ditto - while it might be a specific question to me (the asker), it's usually apro-pro of absolutely nothing to the person I'm asking (who, luckily for them, don't actually live inside my head and therefore can't see that of course a question about washing socks links to the previous discussion about the TPS report!)

That is a creative spelling of "apropos." 😁

athersgeo

« Reply #1851 on: October 30, 2017, 09:16:29 AM »

That is a creative spelling of "apropos." 😁

And I am nothing if not creative ;) (Note to self: do not post before the caffeine IV has finished...or if you do, spellcheck is more your friend than your enemy)

lilfox

« Reply #1852 on: November 16, 2017, 06:59:49 PM »
My DD's class is doing a cooking project where each child brings in one component of the project.  She brought home the form with the item handwritten in by either the teacher or a parent volunteer (not DD's handwriting!):  "30 bowels"

We're pretty sure it's supposed to read "30 bowls" but it's quite clearly spelled out.

vintagegal

« Reply #1853 on: November 16, 2017, 07:34:45 PM »
saw an ad on the listserv for an "Insulted garage door". Text of the ad clarified it as insulated.

becktheriddler

« Reply #1854 on: November 17, 2017, 07:54:53 AM »
I once was reading an article in the newspaper that highlighted the student of the week. After writing about her accomplishments and goals, it stated her mother's profession, and then that her father was diseased.

The following week, a correction read that her father was deceased.
By Grabthar's Hammer...what a savings!

athersgeo

« Reply #1855 on: November 17, 2017, 08:50:34 AM »
Costumers =/= Customers

(Unless, of course, your customers actually are costumers - but I feel that's an incredibly narrow target to hit!)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1856 on: November 17, 2017, 08:54:10 AM »
My DD's class is doing a cooking project where each child brings in one component of the project.  She brought home the form with the item handwritten in by either the teacher or a parent volunteer (not DD's handwriting!):  "30 bowels"

We're pretty sure it's supposed to read "30 bowls" but it's quite clearly spelled out.

Prompted by this one, I cannot resist a much-loved UK "schoolkid's mistake" story.

It involves the historical episode of the Spanish Armada setting out against England; and the tradition that when said fleet was first sighted off England's south-western tip, Sir Francis Drake was playing a game of bowls with friends and colleagues on the area of land near the harbour of Plymouth in the English county of Devon, called Plymouth Hoe. In this situation, Drake purportedly made a remark to the effect that "There's plenty of time to finish the game, and then see these people off"; and that is indeed how things went. This is sometimes seen as a wondrous example of Sir Francis's nonchalance and general "cool" in desperate circumstances; but there's a more prosaic explanation, concerning weather conditions being such at that exact time, that it was for a while impossible for the fleet to set out and do anything to the enemy -- so the captains might just as well carry on with what they'd been doing.

Immortal sentence in child's history essay: "When the Armada arrived, Sir Francis Drake was playing with his bowels on Plymouth Hoe".

Nuku

« Reply #1857 on: November 17, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »

Well, if there are 30 kids in the class, maybe they are quite literally (and I mean it that way) thinking about the end result. (Pun intended!)  >:D

Nuku

« Reply #1858 on: November 17, 2017, 05:15:14 PM »
saw an ad on the listserv for an "Insulted garage door". Text of the ad clarified it as insulated.

This sort of thing is why I love the back page of Consumer Reports!

Addy

« Reply #1859 on: November 26, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »
I was watching car crash compilations on YouTube (it’s my guilty pleasure!) and somebody noted that a bad driver had received his “come up its.”