News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 18, 2018, 05:58:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 371935 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #1875 on: December 04, 2017, 05:56:26 AM »
Loose, lose.

Quiet, quite.

Breathe, breath.

Per say pronounced is spelled Per se.

customer, costumer

breaks, brakes   (on your car)
Hey we're all reading the same fan-fics! At one point i started a  list of my favorites.  I think insulting a female calling her a 'wrench' is my favorite.

Was she trying to throw a spanner in the works? ;)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #1876 on: December 09, 2017, 01:04:08 AM »
I know that language use and meaning changes, etc etc, but when did 'nonplussed' morph from 'bemused, bewildered and totally stumped by something puzzling' to mean 'unfazed and calmly unaffected'?

That's making me twitch a bit. Almost as much as seeing 'bemused' instead of 'amused', another recent-ish development.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

rose red

« Reply #1877 on: December 09, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »
Learned. As in "I learned myself to play the piano."

Sadly, that's not the first time I heard/read how "learned" is used like this.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1878 on: December 09, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
The "modern" use of "sick" and "insane" as being good things...yeah, right.  Please recognize that no matter how brilliant the design idea is - I do not want an "insane living room" or a "sick bathroom"...I just don't.  Even if Joanna Gaines put them in a house in Waco, Texas.  Nope...not gonna be the way that I refer to the décor in my home, at least, not if I like it. 

Now - some of the ideas the previous residents have had in previous houses we've lived in have left me feeling sick or that someone was insane...like the house that got painted and all the phone jacks were carefully painted so that none of them worked at all.  Painting your phone outlet is an insane idea...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #1879 on: December 09, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »
I am an Uber driver, and last weekend drove a young man to a city where a street festival was going on, so there were a lot of people walking around. We were trying to get into a restaurant parking lot, and our way was blocked by a group of people who seemed oblivious to the car trying to get through.

My passenger referred to them -- and he knew the correct word, just got tongue-tied -- as "pestrians."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

JoW

« Reply #1880 on: December 09, 2017, 09:45:21 PM »
Not grammar or spelling, but they need a dictionary.
I heard and ad on TV, they were promoting a product as being "hyper-allergenic". 

Mustard

« Reply #1881 on: December 10, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
I am an Uber driver, and last weekend drove a young man to a city where a street festival was going on, so there were a lot of people walking around. We were trying to get into a restaurant parking lot, and our way was blocked by a group of people who seemed oblivious to the car trying to get through.

My passenger referred to them -- and he knew the correct word, just got tongue-tied -- as "pestrians."

I like 'pestrians' !  Pedestrians who make a nuisance of themselves..

Mustard

« Reply #1882 on: December 10, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »
Learned. As in "I learned myself to play the piano."

Sadly, that's not the first time I heard/read how "learned" is used like this.

'Can you borrow me that xxxx' fails on many levels too.

vintagegal

« Reply #1883 on: December 10, 2017, 10:25:19 AM »
the first time I heard someone misuse borrow, he was a non-English speaker (Scandinavian) so I understood. But lately I hear native English speakers misusing it - how do you grow up not knowing which is which?

I'm also on some online sales forums and it's amazing how many people mistake sell and sale.

Mustard

« Reply #1884 on: December 11, 2017, 07:26:23 AM »
I dislike 'You're joking me!' too. 

Addy

« Reply #1885 on: December 11, 2017, 03:33:10 PM »
I’m not sure if this one has been mentioned before, but the misuse of cue and queue is really starting to annoy me. Even worse, I’ve seen people use “que” and all I can hear is Manuel from Fawlty Towers.

Nuku

« Reply #1886 on: December 13, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »
the first time I heard someone misuse borrow, he was a non-English speaker (Scandinavian) so I understood. But lately I hear native English speakers misusing it - how do you grow up not knowing which is which?

I'm also on some online sales forums and it's amazing how many people mistake sell and sale.

In some parts of the US, "borrow" for "lend" is a common dialect use. I'm OK with it in informal spoken English, but it bugs me in written or formal spoken English. I mean, for "all intensive purposes." (Which just makes it clear how little someone reads.)

I recently read something where "prise" and "prize" were mixed up. The verb worked, but the meaning of the sentence was completely changed.

Paper Roses

« Reply #1887 on: December 13, 2017, 04:04:25 PM »
When someone says they're "a-scared" of something.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

vintagegal

« Reply #1888 on: December 13, 2017, 08:30:36 PM »
When someone says they're "a-scared" of something.

You mean "a-skeered."  (picturing Lil Abner...)

Mustard

« Reply #1889 on: December 14, 2017, 07:59:59 AM »
I don’t know whether this was the fault of auto-correct, or not... A new mum on a forum I read mentioned her MIL had bought her 'muslims' to deal with baby dribble etc.  (We'd call them muslins here..)