Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 45045 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »
I hate, loathe and despise 'crispy'. What's wrong with 'crisp'? I mean we don't say a building is biggy, or a sound is loudy.

"Crisp" versus "crispy" -- blood has been spilt over that question...

I basically agree with you -- think "crispy" silly and unnecessary -- but apparently it's been around for a surprisingly long time, and has some passionate defenders.

From another message board which I frequent, on which there was a recent outbreak of the "crisp v. crispy" war:

" 'Crispy' is a fake word invented by some company that wanted to make the crispness of one of its products sound somehow more emphatic or fun than that of a competitor's similarly crisp items. [A certain company] has more recently begun trying to do the same thing again by extending the extension to get 'crispitty' and 'crunchitty'. Once people have got used to that, some other company will later give us another round, like 'crispetackitty'..."

BeagleMommy

« Reply #286 on: October 10, 2013, 02:39:13 PM »
One of our work study students was just tasked with making an inventory of our supply closet.  On the list she wrote that we had:

Vanilla folders (150)

My head hurts.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #287 on: October 10, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »
One of our work study students was just tasked with making an inventory of our supply closet.  On the list she wrote that we had:

Vanilla folders (150)

My head hurts.

Do scents give you headaches?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #288 on: October 10, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »
Lol, I thought at first it was a kitchen cupboard, and wondered how the vanilla got into folders.

I guess those manila folders were - nice and sweet and tasty, right?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

NestHolder

« Reply #289 on: October 12, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »
I'm confused by the enraging qualities of 'sherbert'.  It's a legitimate alternate spelling for 'sherbet', and certainly the one I was taught (quite a long time ago).

I mourn the demise of "disinterested", which these days seems to mean "uninterested", leaving us bereft of a word that actually means "disinterested".

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #290 on: October 12, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »
mute for moot  <sigh>
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #291 on: October 12, 2013, 11:19:57 PM »
A large part of my job involves the care and feeding of Purchase Orders.

These documents go by the short form PO.

The correct use of the term would be me composing an email which says "I am forwarding you the POs we discussed earlier."

However, my computer auto corrects POs to Pos.
I do not handle 'pos', I handle POs.

So unless I want to go back and correct every use of the term, the only way to type it without backtracking is to insert a completely incorrect and aggravating possessive apostrophe. The fact that my computer will not let me write the word properly is like nails on an chalkboard - and it happens several dozen times a day.

My colleagues wonder why I growl at my computer? It's because I've forced to write 'PO's' for the 30th time that day. >:(

Sebastienne

« Reply #292 on: October 12, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »

The correct use of the term would be me composing an email which says "I am forwarding you the POs we discussed earlier."

So unless I want to go back and correct every use of the term, the only way to type it without backtracking is to insert a completely incorrect and aggravating possessive apostrophe. The fact that my computer will not let me write the word properly is like nails on an chalkboard - and it happens several dozen times a day.

My colleagues wonder why I growl at my computer? It's because I've forced to write 'PO's' for the 30th time that day. >:(

Can you hit undo after it autocorrects? That works for me.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #293 on: October 12, 2013, 11:34:40 PM »

Can you hit undo after it autocorrects? That works for me.

It does, then it reverts again. I have to move onto the next word and then backtrack.
It won't let me add it to the dictionary.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #294 on: October 13, 2013, 03:08:09 AM »
I hate, loathe and despise 'crispy'. What's wrong with 'crisp'? I mean we don't say a building is biggy, or a sound is loudy.

"Crisp" versus "crispy" -- blood has been spilt over that question...

I basically agree with you -- think "crispy" silly and unnecessary -- but apparently it's been around for a surprisingly long time, and has some passionate defenders.

From another message board which I frequent, on which there was a recent outbreak of the "crisp v. crispy" war:

" 'Crispy' is a fake word invented by some company that wanted to make the crispness of one of its products sound somehow more emphatic or fun than that of a competitor's similarly crisp items. [A certain company] has more recently begun trying to do the same thing again by extending the extension to get 'crispitty' and 'crunchitty'. Once people have got used to that, some other company will later give us another round, like 'crispetackitty'..."

I'm happy with crispy - tend to prefer more word choices rather than fewer. Sometimes crispy sounds better.

Looked up crispy in the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) out of curiosity - I love their quotes.

The earliest one for crispy was:

1398   J. Trevisa tr. Bartholomew de Glanville De Proprietatibus Rerum (1495) v. xv. 121   By grete heete the heer of the berd and of the heed ben cryspy and curlyd.

I also liked a 1721 quote for another meaning of crispy:

1721   W. Gibson Farriers Dispensatory iii. xv. 279   Boil..till..the Worms are grown crispy.

Eeeuw.

:)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #295 on: October 13, 2013, 05:42:10 AM »
I wonder whether Dr. Samuel Johnson included "crispy" in his famous dictionary (published 1755).  Knowing him, if he did not favour the word, he'd have condemned it most scathingly; or if in the "pro" camp, he'd have been equally scathing about those who disliked it.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #296 on: October 13, 2013, 06:36:42 AM »
I just got back some graded material from my professor and this is what I received back word for word on one of my summaries:

Comments: (Dirty Weasel),

I think you dd a nice job of addressing the questions, but your posts would have been stronger if you engaged the readings a bit more, and cited your sources. Also, there were a few grammatical errors in your posts. Overall, however, great job!

Louie_LI

« Reply #297 on: October 13, 2013, 07:02:27 AM »

Are you using Word? If so, go to autocorrect options and unclick the box that says something like "Correct two INitial CAps". Isn't there also a way to add exceptions? (Sorry to be imprecise; I'm not on a machine with Word right now.)

scotcat60

« Reply #298 on: October 13, 2013, 07:33:10 AM »
One of the best places to see mis-spellings is watching TV programmes subtitles. 

A case of using the wrong word occured when a character in "Agents of Shield"claimed another character had "Wrangled" and invitation to a party.  The word should be "Wangled"(to manipulate, manage in a skilful way), that "Wrangled" was for mathemeticians and people who work with horses, though there is a definition "to argue noisily""

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #299 on: October 13, 2013, 08:25:13 AM »
One of the best places to see mis-spellings is watching TV programmes subtitles. 

A case of using the wrong word occured when a character in "Agents of Shield"claimed another character had "Wrangled" and invitation to a party.  The word should be "Wangled"(to manipulate, manage in a skilful way), that "Wrangled" was for mathemeticians and people who work with horses, though there is a definition "to argue noisily""

I saw a very funny closed captioning typo last night while watching a TV show.  Apparently the Indianapolis Colts and the San Diego Chargers will be playing this weekend.  Except that the closed captioning announced that the Colts and the Charge Earns would be playing.  I wonder who the Charge Earns are, and what their mascot is?  >:D