Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 42027 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #420 on: April 28, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
I follow a lot of cats on Facebook - as in an embarrassingly large number. Over and over again I see sentences like the following crop up on these pages:

"My cat loves to have his tummy pet."
"Check out what this kitten does when he gets pet."
"She loves to be pet right when I'm trying to leave for work."

Petted.

PETTED.

My theory is "bad computer translation" and ignore the misuse because the difference won't translate back into the poster's original language.  Then I go have a cup of hot tea to soothe my nerves.  Snarky & Evil may add a little something besides lemon & honey to the tea....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mikayla

« Reply #421 on: April 28, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
'Inner-esting'.  I'm hearing it more and more and it's getting on my nerves.

Um...that's how most people I know (myself included) pronounce interesting. It would sound forced to emphasize the "t." Perhaps it's a Southernism making its way northward?

Wasn't there a TV character from long ago who used "verrrry interesting" and pronounced it with that emphasis on the t?  I remember my parents laughing about it and talking to each other that way.   Maybe it landed in someone's DNA!

lowspark

« Reply #422 on: April 28, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »
'Inner-esting'.  I'm hearing it more and more and it's getting on my nerves.

Um...that's how most people I know (myself included) pronounce interesting. It would sound forced to emphasize the "t." Perhaps it's a Southernism making its way northward?

Wasn't there a TV character from long ago who used "verrrry interesting" and pronounced it with that emphasis on the t?  I remember my parents laughing about it and talking to each other that way.   Maybe it landed in someone's DNA!

Arte Johnson on Laugh-In.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkFx3TaOunA

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #423 on: April 28, 2014, 04:26:16 PM »
I suppose asking people to observe the difference between "lie" and "lay" is a lost cause. But why is there an outbreak of the spelling "payed" popping up around me everywhere? Surely most people have seen the word in print enough to notice it's an irregular past tense.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #424 on: April 28, 2014, 04:29:29 PM »
Someone was telling me about going hiking in a state or national where the water source for the sinks in the toilet facilities was clearly labeled as "not potable".  And watching people wash their hands, splash water on their faces, and then DRINK gulps of it from their hands...

Apparently "Not Potable" is not clear labeling to some people.  But "Don't drink the water from the sink faucets" is going to take a much bigger sign and you'll still have people who don't read it because "it's too many words"...yeah, heard that one - someone asked what the sign said & excused themselves for not reading it because it had "too many words".  It was a historical marker explaining the significance of something that happened in that area...and I heard it at more than one historical marker on that trip - not from the same people.

OTOH, there is also the possibility that they understood "not potable" perfectly well and were willing to take the risk anyway. For example, I know of some natural springs that are labeled as not potable, but that people frequently drink from. IME, "not potable" does not necessarily mean dangerous or contaminated, but rather that it is not known (or tested) to be safe for drinking. So it may mean "drink at your own risk" rather than "don't drink".

Also, you mention "watching people wash their hands" in the list of actions demonstrating that they didn't understand the sign. I would take "not potable" on a bathroom sink to mean that I shouldn't avoid ingesting the water, i.e., don't drink it, don't wet my toothbrush with it, and perhaps avoid getting it in other orifaces like the eyes. I wouldn't interpret that as saying it's not safe for hand-washing, unless I had open wounds on my hands. If the water wasn't safe for hand-washing, then why on earth would they pipe it to a restroom sink in the first place? That's the main purpose of a restroom sink!

Handwashing would be normal - splashing my face & risking getting it in my eyes and drinking it would be uses I'd think twice about.  I may not have been clear...

The person who told me about it asked the lady if she knew that the water wasn't "potable" and got a snarky comment back that indicated that she didn't care what the word meant, she was thirsty & hadn't brought any bottled water with her so she was drinking this tap water...I gather that the first woman was a seasoned hiker with her own source of drinking water while the other woman was used to city water that was heavily treated and had no idea what she MIGHT be risking (sulfur in the water, bacteria in the water, or something else that the park service didn't want to be blamed for if people reacted to it once a year when the water in the small lake or pond "turned over" and tasted bad).

Like the woman who didn't want vegetables grown in dirt but the nice clean ones packaged in plastic at the store...the experience of the woman drinking the non-potable water might not have led her to know that not all water goes through a water treatment plant with various filters & sanitizing methods....

To me, that sounds like the woman consciously chose to take the risk of drinking the water even after she definitely understood that the sign advised against it. So a sign that said "Don't drink the water from the sink faucets" instead of "not potable" probably wouldn't have made any difference--it was a risk she was willing to take. (Actually, if she didn't act surprised at your friend's warning, then I'd suspect she already had an idea of what the sign was getting at, even if she wasn't familiar with the word "potable" specifically) The snark in response to someone politely (I assume) making sure she understood the risk was rude, but choosing to risk drinking "non-potable" water doesn't necessarily indicate that she didn't understand the sign. She may have been foolish and ill-prepared not to have carried her own water, but choosing to risk ingesting the restroom water rather than becoming dehydrated was not necessarily an unreasonable choice (unless the water was known to currently have a dangerous contaminant, which I doubt).

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #425 on: April 28, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »
Years ago my local DIY store had a large warning near the door that basically informed us that nothing they had on site should go in your mouth. Apart from my regular grumble of 'who needs to be told that?' (I know, it's horrifying how many people actually do) what bugged me was the statement that paint, or whatever, 'could be harmful if digested'.

Could be harmful a long way before digestion, I always thought. Ingestion. Ingestion.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #426 on: April 28, 2014, 10:31:44 PM »
i used to volunteer at an animal shelter, and it was a three-way tie as to what made me twitch the most: people using "spay" as the adjective/past participle ("Is the cat spay?"), or "spayded," or those who knew it was "spayed" but spelled it "spade."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

JustEstelle

« Reply #427 on: April 29, 2014, 12:46:22 AM »
I have a facebook friend who constantly misuses "whom."  For example, she would say something like this:  "My best friend whom is coming to visit is planning to stay a week."  I just want to scream, "WHO!!!  My best friend who is coming to visit!!!!!" 

Gah!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #428 on: April 29, 2014, 12:47:13 AM »
I saw this on a Facebook feed this week: fist of cuffs.  :o

That's kind of fun!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #429 on: April 29, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
I suppose asking people to observe the difference between "lie" and "lay" is a lost cause. But why is there an outbreak of the spelling "payed" popping up around me everywhere? Surely most people have seen the word in print enough to notice it's an irregular past tense.

You've noticed that, too? I don't get it.  :-[

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #430 on: April 29, 2014, 03:52:34 PM »
I saw this on a Facebook feed this week: fist of cuffs.  :o

That's kind of fun!

It would be fun if they were using that intentionally. I'm trying to imagine how they envision that phrase.  :P

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #431 on: May 04, 2014, 02:22:05 AM »
Saw this today and loved it:

kckgirl

« Reply #432 on: May 04, 2014, 05:55:25 AM »
I love it, too, Danika!
Maryland

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century