Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 61234 times)

MorgnsGrl

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #435 on: May 04, 2014, 07:24:09 AM »
I haven't read all the comments so I don't know if anyone has mentioned "Your Grammar Sucks" on YouTube. It's quite funny. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA6687CF25DE17420

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #436 on: May 04, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »
Saw this today and loved it:

Persactly!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cabbageweevil

« Reply #437 on: May 09, 2014, 04:06:58 AM »
Brought to mind by a thing which recently showed up elsewhere on eHell: this doesn’t precisely make me twitch, but I do find it mildly annoying – the confusion which people often display in writing, with “martial / marshal / marshall”.

martial (adjective): “of or pertaining to war or the armed forces” – most common correct uses are in “martial law” or “court-martial”.

marshal: (noun) – one who keeps things systematic / maintains order; and, a designated high military rank. (Verb) – to order / arrange / control things.

Marshall: a fairly common surname; also, if someone marshals things, he / she is marshalling them (two l’s).

Many people mix these up in an assortment of ways – the commonest probably being, to spell the noun marshal, with two l’s.  As said, this business irritates me only mildly.  It’s usually clear enough what people mean; and just because the distinctions are clear and seem obvious to me, doesn’t mean that will be so for everyone – and no doubt nearly all of us have a grammar / orthography / word-use blind spot or two somewhere. This one is  a bit of a niggle for me, though.

jmarvellous

« Reply #438 on: May 09, 2014, 08:11:42 AM »
Relatives by marriage had a common surname with a less common spelling (see Cabbageweevil's post). They were forever correcting people on its spelling. The family patriarch's vanity license plate?

"ONE L"

(Didn't hurt that his first name was Al!)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #439 on: May 09, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »
Double-versus-single l's -- among other single / double situations -- can be tricky on the nomenclature scene.  There are "thorny thickets" involving the surname Eliot (as with the poet, T.S.), and its "l" and "t" variations -- the name originating from the Anglo-Scottish border area. There's a little verse about it, citing names from that part of the world:

The double L and single T
Descend from Minto and Wolflee.
The double T and single L
Mark the old race in Stobs that dwell.
The single L and single T
The Eliots of St. Germains be;
But double T and double L --
Who they are, nobody can tell.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #440 on: May 09, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »
I saw this on a Facebook feed this week: fist of cuffs.  :o

That's kind of fun!

It would be fun if they were using that intentionally. I'm trying to imagine how they envision that phrase.  :P

Oh, but that's the fun part!

If you think of "cuff" as a verb--you cuff someone by hitting them lightly with the palm of the hand. So turn that into a noun, and you have a fist that seems to be only made up of hitting people.

A bunch of linguists have called these eggcorns, and started a database of them.

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

My mother used to love finding these; she'd call me at work (interrupting both her and me) every time she found one.

Her fave was "next store to the post office"; mine is "whoa is me."

Wonderful imagery about what it is that they are thinking when they translate a term they've really only *heard* into words on paper. The Internet is wonderful for that!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #441 on: May 09, 2014, 03:03:30 PM »
I saw this on a Facebook feed this week: fist of cuffs.  :o

That's kind of fun!

It would be fun if they were using that intentionally. I'm trying to imagine how they envision that phrase.  :P

Oh, but that's the fun part!

If you think of "cuff" as a verb--you cuff someone by hitting them lightly with the palm of the hand. So turn that into a noun, and you have a fist that seems to be only made up of hitting people.

A bunch of linguists have called these eggcorns, and started a database of them.

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

My mother used to love finding these; she'd call me at work (interrupting both her and me) every time she found one.

Wonderful imagery about what it is that they are thinking when they translate a term they've really only *heard* into words on paper. The Internet is wonderful for that!

Reminds me of the people who called the radio station requesting "Hooked on the Ceiling" by B.J. Thomas.  ;D

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #442 on: May 09, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »
My poor kids had to hear me shriek to never play a song in our home again

"Hall of Fat Girl"   

okay so I'm stupid and partially deaf, Hollerback Girl - don't want to hear it again, E V E R !

BeagleMommy

« Reply #443 on: May 09, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »
My poor kids had to hear me shriek to never play a song in our home again

"Hall of Fat Girl"   

okay so I'm stupid and partially deaf, Hollerback Girl - don't want to hear it again, E V E R !

Redneck Gravy you owe me a new keyboard.  Also, Diet Dr. Pepper through one's nose really hurts!  ;D

Specky

« Reply #444 on: May 09, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »
Opps instead of oops
Alot, alittle
apostrophe abuse
Him and me.  Her and him...
We had went
We was
text speak
"You ain't drank nothing"
"I don't got no"
If you had gave me...
Myself and...
I seen her
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:49:52 AM by Specky »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #445 on: May 09, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
Not really grammar or spelling, but while we're on the song sidetrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4c54rCJ_k

(Caller to a radio station in the Dominican Republic wants them to play the song asking "Are those Reebok or Nike?"  It's absolutely worth listening through to hear the whole clip - you'll never be able to "un-hear" those lyrics . . .)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #446 on: May 10, 2014, 12:23:58 AM »
A bunch of linguists have called these eggcorns...

The following is not a mishearing / mistranscribing kind of botch, but something deliberate -- anyway, brought back a memory from adolescence. The headmaster of my school (in England) was a rather pompous individual -- Mr. Rowe. He invited ridicule speech-wise, in that he spoke with a very plummy-voiced upper-class English accent, with a curious "mooing" intonation that was all his own: plus, he couldn't pronounce his r's -- they came out as "w".  His pupils delighted in mocking his way of speaking -- were particularly fond of the invented phrase "Wowe [woe] is me".  Unkind, I suppose -- but IMO one's schooldays are not an outstandingly happy time, and kids need some sort of a safety-valve.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #447 on: May 10, 2014, 07:31:52 AM »

The following is not a mishearing / mistranscribing kind of botch, but something deliberate -- anyway, brought back a memory from adolescence. The headmaster of my school (in England) was a rather pompous individual -- Mr. Rowe. He invited ridicule speech-wise, in that he spoke with a very plummy-voiced upper-class English accent, with a curious "mooing" intonation that was all his own: plus, he couldn't pronounce his r's -- they came out as "w".  His pupils delighted in mocking his way of speaking -- were particularly fond of the invented phrase "Wowe [woe] is me".  Unkind, I suppose -- but IMO one's schooldays are not an outstandingly happy time, and kids need some sort of a safety-valve.
Did anyone else flash to "Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what bwings us togethew today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam. And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah…"?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #448 on: May 10, 2014, 07:53:54 AM »
Nope. I went to "Welease Wodewick!"

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #449 on: May 10, 2014, 08:44:49 AM »

Did anyone else flash to "Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what bwings us togethew today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam. And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah…"?

I did!  :D