News:

• April 25, 2018, 08:14:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 419338 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #450 on: May 10, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »
My poor kids had to hear me shriek to never play a song in our home again

"Hall of Fat Girl"   

okay so I'm stupid and partially deaf, Hollerback Girl - don't want to hear it again, E V E R !

Redneck Gravy you owe me a new keyboard.  Also, Diet Dr. Pepper through one's nose really hurts!  ;D

Oh my, so sorry !

Also, more corrections, it's: Hollaback Girl   (there did I finally get it right?)  aggghhh

cabbageweevil

« Reply #451 on: May 10, 2014, 02:08:36 PM »
Did anyone else flash to "Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what bwings us togethew today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam. And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah…"?

This, and iridaceae's "Welease Wodewick" -- perhaps because I'm not North American, perhaps because I'm culturally deprived, or both -- these references mean nothing to me. Would be very grateful for elucidation !

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #452 on: May 10, 2014, 02:11:51 PM »
Did anyone else flash to "Mawwiage. Mawwiage is what bwings us togethew today. Mawwiage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam. And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah…"?

This, and iridaceae's "Welease Wodewick" -- perhaps because I'm not North American, perhaps because I'm culturally deprived, or both -- these references mean nothing to me. Would be very grateful for elucidation !

I think they're either Monty Python or Four Weddings and a Funeral quotes

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #453 on: May 10, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »

The "Mawwage" one is from The Princess Bride.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Marga

« Reply #454 on: May 10, 2014, 11:21:20 PM »

And "Welease Wodewick" is from Monty Python's "Life of Brian".

cabbageweevil

« Reply #455 on: May 11, 2014, 12:23:36 AM »
Thanks for replies.  I have just got to see The Princess Bride some time -- the whole Internet seems replete with quotes from it !

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #456 on: May 11, 2014, 03:49:12 AM »

"Hall of Fat Girl"   

okay so I'm stupid and partially deaf, Hollerback Girl - don't want to hear it again, E V E R !

That reminds me of this story. I don't listen to popular music, but my husband occasionally does. Some years ago, he kept singing bits of a popular song out loud, the most often repeated line being "Take my picture." He'd sing it over and over and, never having heard the song, I didn't think much about it.

Then one day I heard the song and realized that they were most definitely not saying "Take my picture." They were saying "Slap my b-word up."  :o
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #457 on: May 11, 2014, 06:23:56 AM »

*smacks forehead* Doh! (Still, I was half right - got the Monty Python one at least!)

Danika

« Reply #458 on: May 11, 2014, 02:18:32 PM »

"Hall of Fat Girl"   

That reminds me of this story. I don't listen to popular music, but my husband occasionally does. Some years ago, he kept singing bits of a popular song out loud, the most often repeated line being "Take my picture." He'd sing it over and over and, never having heard the song, I didn't think much about it.

Then one day I heard the song and realized that they were most definitely not saying "Take my picture." They were saying "Slap my b-word up."  :o

I love that song and have the album, but that line is unsettling and I can't play it when the kiddos are around.

A few years after that song came out, DH and I heard a song that we thought sounded like "tube socks." We wondered why someone would write a song about tube sox. I don't think the filters here will change the words. The song lyrics are actually "rude box" which doesn't mean anything to American ears, but apparently is offensive or risqué somewhere overseas.

PlainJane

« Reply #459 on: May 11, 2014, 08:31:56 PM »
I have to sit on my hands and grit my teeth when I see someone use 'apart' when they mean 'a part'.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #460 on: May 12, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »
I proofread a paper for a classmate last week...

The point was mute (apparently it couldn't speak for itself)

Thipu1

« Reply #461 on: May 12, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »
People who use 'simplistic' when 'simple' is intended.

I once had to catalog an article reviewing children's books about the ancient world.  The author of the article consistently used phrases like, 'the author ofthisbook presents rather complex aspects of Egyptian religion in a simplistic way that children can understand'. 

I don't know about you but I've never heard 'simplistic' used in a positive sense. 

Twik

« Reply #462 on: May 12, 2014, 01:19:34 PM »
People who use 'simplistic' when 'simple' is intended.

I once had to catalog an article reviewing children's books about the ancient world.  The author of the article consistently used phrases like, 'the author ofthisbook presents rather complex aspects of Egyptian religion in a simplistic way that children can understand'. 

I don't know about you but I've never heard 'simplistic' used in a positive sense.

Ironically, it means that writer finds "simple" too simplistic for his/her tastes.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #463 on: May 12, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »
Thanks for replies.  I have just got to see The Princess Bride some time -- the whole Internet seems replete with quotes from it !

Not seen The Princess Bride. Inconceivable!

I know I saw it mentioned earlier, but the use of good instead of well.  It's like nails on the chalkboard to me.
The days are long but the years are short.

Danika

« Reply #464 on: May 12, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »
I know I saw it mentioned earlier, but the use of good instead of well.  It's like nails on the chalkboard to me.

I'm always afraid to get it wrong. Please, tell me if I'm correct in the following:

Q: How are you doing?
A: Well  <- that's the right answer because it is an adverb that describes "doing"

Q: How are you?
A: Good <- that's the right answer because it's an adjective that describes "I/you"

And the only time you would answer "How are you?" with "well" is if you had been sick for a long time and now you're no longer sick, so you're well again.