News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 08:17:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 336354 times)

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #465 on: May 12, 2014, 01:51:12 PM »
I know I saw it mentioned earlier, but the use of good instead of well.  It's like nails on the chalkboard to me.

I'm always afraid to get it wrong. Please, tell me if I'm correct in the following:

Q: How are you doing?
A: Well  <- that's the right answer because it is an adverb that describes "doing"

Q: How are you?
A: Good <- that's the right answer because it's an adjective that describes "I/you"

And the only time you would answer "How are you?" with "well" is if you had been sick for a long time and now you're no longer sick, so you're well again.

Single word answers like that are fine. It's the phrase "He did good" that make me want to stick my fingers in my ears.
The days are long but the years are short.

jaxsue

« Reply #466 on: May 12, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »
I proofread a paper for a classmate last week...

The point was mute (apparently it couldn't speak for itself)

I know a few people who use "mute point," too. it bugs me!  :P

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #467 on: May 12, 2014, 02:27:55 PM »
Corporate-speak annoys me no end and I could go on for pages about it, but for now I'll just mention the two most recent obnoxious trends where I work.

Using "ask" instead of "question"
"How can we increase our profits this quarter? That's the big ask."
"That sounds like a great plan but I have a few asks about it."

Using "spend" instead of "payment" or similar
"Unless we make a better widget we can't expect our clients to increase their spend with us."

I want to scream whenever I hear either one - and both are spreading like wildfire.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

jaxsue

« Reply #468 on: May 12, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »
Corporate-speak annoys me no end and I could go on for pages about it, but for now I'll just mention the two most recent obnoxious trends where I work.

"Unless we make a better widget we can't expect our clients to increase their spend with us."

I want to scream whenever I hear either one - and both are spreading like wildfire.

I have never heard those before. How can anyone speak that way and expect to sound professional?

BeagleMommy

« Reply #469 on: May 12, 2014, 02:45:29 PM »

I have never heard those before. How can anyone speak that way and expect to sound professional?

Wha...?  I'm...?  Huh?  My brain hurts.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #470 on: May 12, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »
Thanks for replies.  I have just got to see The Princess Bride some time -- the whole Internet seems replete with quotes from it !

Not seen The Princess Bride. Inconceivable!

I know -- I live under a rock / on a remote island in the Outer Hebrides...

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #471 on: May 12, 2014, 03:32:13 PM »

Both atrocities are coming from one person high up in the organization. Where he got them I have no idea, but people are copying him so they can sound "important." <rolls eyes>

And cabbageweevil, I've never seen The Princess Bride either.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #472 on: May 12, 2014, 07:36:27 PM »

I've made my peace with "ask" as a noun in the fundraising context, where "the ask" is shorthand for "that point in our relationship with a potential donor where we actually ask him/her for a contribution."

But "ask" as a substitute for "question" -- as in "I have some asks about this"? That's just wrong.

"Spend" should never be a noun. What's wrong with "increase their spending" or "spend more"? Both are just one little extra syllable.

My former boss used to verb the noun "incentive": "I need to find ways to incent my staff." Sounded as if she was going to spray us with cologne or something.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:20:12 PM by baglady »
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #473 on: May 13, 2014, 12:12:23 AM »
Many of my "favorites" have already been mentioned. Here are two I haven't seen yet:

"On a daily basis." It just grates on my ear. What's wrong with "Daily?"

This one makes me laugh more than anything. My mother brought it to my attention about 50 years ago, when she said: 

"If you're 'nauseous,' it means looking at you makes me nauseated!"

I guess that we baby boomers misused it often enough to get it into the dictionaries though; in fact, it is now listed as the first meaning!

...By the way, our Bull Terrier gets called "R.O.U.S." frequently. (Another Princess Bride reference.) And, of course, my DH and I frequently respond to each others' requests with "As you wish!"
For in the fatness of these pursy times
Virtue itself of vice must pardon beg,
Yea, curb and woo for leave to do him good.
     Hamlet, Act 3, scene 4, lines 144-146
       (Pursy: wheezing)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #474 on: May 13, 2014, 02:30:58 AM »
Thanks for replies.  I have just got to see The Princess Bride some time -- the whole Internet seems replete with quotes from it !

I saw it at age 16 and was sorely disappointed because it had been hyped so much and just couldn't live up to my expectations. Saw it again at age 33 with MUCH lower expectations and thought it reasonably cute. It'll never be a favourite though.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

cabbageweevil

« Reply #475 on: May 13, 2014, 05:42:52 AM »

I saw it at age 16 and was sorely disappointed because it had been hyped so much and just couldn't live up to my expectations. Saw it again at age 33 with MUCH lower expectations and thought it reasonably cute. It'll never be a favourite though.

Thanks MariaE, and bansidhe.  I feel less freakish !  Have just somehow never got round to seeing TPB-- I'm not a big filmgoer, in general.  In part, the title has always struck me as rather lame;  which, illogically, has been a bit of a disincentive for me, to seeing the film.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #476 on: May 13, 2014, 06:07:28 AM »
I've never seen The Princess Bride,  either,  cabbageweevil. I read the book before the movie came out- a few years before - because friends recommended it. I thought the book was overrated so never bothered with the movie.
Nothing to see here.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #477 on: May 13, 2014, 06:34:34 AM »
I've never seen The Princess Bride,  either,  cabbageweevil. I read the book before the movie came out- a few years before - because friends recommended it. I thought the book was overrated so never bothered with the movie.

FWIW, I thought the movie HEAPS better than the book... I read it after being unimpressed by the movie as I figured I was missing out on something ("Never judge a book by its movie"...), but ended up thinking that as overrated as the movie was, the book was even worse.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

cabbageweevil

« Reply #478 on: May 13, 2014, 11:50:57 AM »
Further digging my hole of amazing ignorance -- I didn't know till just now, that there was a book The Princess Bride, pre-existing the film.  I promise you all, that I am dimly aware that the earth goes round the sun, and that the Pope is Catholic, and that Europe is on one side of the Atlantic Ocean and North America on the other...

Danika

« Reply #479 on: May 13, 2014, 12:28:22 PM »
Further digging my hole of amazing ignorance -- I didn't know till just now, that there was a book The Princess Bride, pre-existing the film.  I promise you all, that I am dimly aware that the earth goes round the sun, and that the Pope is Catholic, and that Europe is on one side of the Atlantic Ocean and North America on the other...

IIRC, the book has 23 chapters just on details of the wedding preparation, right?

I've seen the movie a couple of times. My husband loves it. I thought it was mildly ok at best, but some of the parts that are often quoted are the funniest. I think it's worth watching once just to catch the references to:
  • My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
  • Inconceivable
  • You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
  • Wuuv. Twoo wuuv.
  • Mawage