Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 65925 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #480 on: May 13, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »
Further digging my hole of amazing ignorance -- I didn't know till just now, that there was a book The Princess Bride, pre-existing the film.  I promise you all, that I am dimly aware that the earth goes round the sun, and that the Pope is Catholic, and that Europe is on one side of the Atlantic Ocean and North America on the other...

Do you mean The Princess Bride by William Goldman (screenwriter for the movie) or the book by S. Morgenstern?   >:D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

cabbageweevil

« Reply #481 on: May 13, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »
To quote Charlie Brown / "Peanuts" --  AAAAAUUUUUGGGHHHH !!!!

jmarvellous

« Reply #482 on: May 13, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »
Because this is apparently (yet another!) "Princess Bride" thread, I'll add that I read the book well before I saw the movie. I giggled a lot (circa age 11). I do not find the movie humorous or even all that entertaining.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #483 on: May 13, 2014, 03:32:39 PM »
But "ask" as a substitute for "question" -- as in "I have some asks about this"? That's just wrong.

I typed "ask as a noun" into Google and got a number of results. I had no idea it was so widespread! There is apparently a Stop Using Ask as a Noun Facebook page, but I can't access FB from work so can't check it out at the moment.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #484 on: May 13, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »
Further digging my hole of amazing ignorance -- I didn't know till just now, that there was a book The Princess Bride, pre-existing the film.  I promise you all, that I am dimly aware that the earth goes round the sun, and that the Pope is Catholic, and that Europe is on one side of the Atlantic Ocean and North America on the other...

IIRC, the book has 23 chapters just on details of the wedding preparation, right?

Not exactly :-)  Both the book and the movie allude to another, "real" book, which has chapters and chapters of boring stuff in between the action.  In the movie this is presented as a grandfather reading (and clearly editing on the fly) the book to a sick young boy; in the written version it's the author tracking down this book his grandfather used to read him as a kid and then finding out how tremendously boring half of it is.  The "real" book doesn't exist, though, other as a frame for the adventure story  :)

Marga

« Reply #485 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:12 PM »

IIRC, the book has 23 chapters just on details of the wedding preparation, right?

I've seen the movie a couple of times. My husband loves it. I thought it was mildly ok at best, but some of the parts that are often quoted are the funniest. I think it's worth watching once just to catch the references to:
  • My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
  • Inconceivable
  • You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
  • Wuuv. Twoo wuuv.
  • Mawage

Those 23 chapters are only in the original book, and not in the adaptation/abridment by Morgenstern. Of course some people will tell you there never was an original and that Morgenstern wrote it all himself. Lies, I tell you! ;)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #486 on: May 14, 2014, 03:23:11 AM »
I swear, I think I'll go on being unacquainted with TPB in all its shapes and forms !  It all sounds just too complicated :-\ ...

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #487 on: May 14, 2014, 04:38:55 AM »
Just watch the film, it's a light hearted romp with an amazing cast. The bride and Westley are the least interesting, though he's a great sword fighter.

Victoria

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #488 on: May 14, 2014, 05:31:55 AM »
I swear, I think I'll go on being unacquainted with TPB in all its shapes and forms !  It all sounds just too complicated :-\ ...

It's not, honestly :) The book pretends to be a rewrite of a much older and much longer book, but the author decided to "condense" it, in order to make it more approachable.

The book was later adapted for the screen.

Some people actually think the "much older and much longer" book actually exists and is the "real" book (resulting in some hilarious reviews on GoodReads) which is where it gets confusing, but that's about it :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #489 on: May 14, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »
My friend who teaches at a local college just received this e-mail from a student:

"i dont undstand m grade on essy? Why u grade so lo?"

::)
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #490 on: May 14, 2014, 09:12:01 AM »
Compare and contrast with Inkheart. I took my children to see the film when it came out. For those who don't know it, it was based on a book of the same name, and the plot revolves around a man who can make a story come true by reading it aloud. He comes across a book called Inkheart...

The Elder Chick enjoyed the film, so we bought the Cornelia Funke book Inkheart - which is about another book also called Inkheart by a writer called Fenoglio. The EC's view was that he had liked the film, and the Funke book was OK, but the book he really wanted to read was the Fenoglio book that the Funke book was about, if you follow what I mean...

lowspark

« Reply #491 on: May 14, 2014, 09:15:26 AM »

Don't let all that discussion throw you off. I know nothing of any of that but love the movie, which I watched for the first time, years ago, knowing nothing of what it was about in advance.

Turned out to be an entertaining (what I call) enhanced fairy tale with lots of over-the-top characters and situations. Enhanced meaning entertaining for both kids and adults.

So, forget everything you've read and just watch the movie for the fun of it.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #492 on: May 14, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »
Thanks, all.  Agreed -- I really should, at all events, give the film an honest try.

On reflection, the "book-within-a-book" conceit is not unique or unheard-of.  FRHC cites Inkheart ; and really, none of what we've seen mentioned, is any more barmy than the realms of Tolkien.  In there, Lord Of The Rings is supposedly a translation by JRRT, of a book handed down from very ancient days of Earth; translated by him from the language which the hobbits used, with amplifyings-and-clarifyings from writings by other races of those times, originally in their languages...

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #493 on: May 14, 2014, 01:44:35 PM »
Just watch the film, it's a light hearted romp with an amazing cast. The bride and Westley are the least interesting, though he's a great sword fighter.

I saw The Princess Bride only because it was the movie on a long distance bus trip.  It was amusing and some of the cameo appearances (especially Billy Crystal) were hilarious. 

the 'Mawwage' sermon reminded me of the old 'Beyond the Fringe' sketch in which the text of the sermon is 'My brother Esau is an hairy man but I am a smooth man'. 

Xandraea

« Reply #494 on: May 20, 2014, 09:28:27 AM »
About The Princess Bride: If you go into it knowing it's a parody, with a damsel in distress, a hero, a motley group of people to add interest, and a whole lot of improbable situations, you'll likely find it hilarious. If thought of as a dramatic love story, it loses the appeal.

My favourite scenes/lines involve the extra characters.  The Billy Crystal character and his wife, the King (very small part, but he's great!), the Mawwage scene, the "battle of wits" with iocane ... I saw the DVD at a cashwrap for $5 and purchased it for my teenager to watch. She watched it repeatedly and always laughs out loud at Inigo running thru the castle halls screaming in desperation, "HELP ME, FEZZIK! HE'S GETTING AWAY!"

I recommend seeing it, enjoying it for what it is. :)

Oh, and grammar that makes me twitch: "should of" "could of" "would of" .. sure, saying it sounds similar to this, but in writing, use the contractions properly!