News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 02:36:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 336255 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #510 on: May 22, 2014, 08:35:33 AM »
I work for a digital marketing agency - we create, manage, and send e-mails out to clients who opt in to the brand mailing lists. I am currently supporting a huge pharmaceutical client and am in the process of reviewing e-mails we sent for past campaigns. Part of the marketing provides links in the e-mails to videos of diabetes patients that are adjusting their favorite recipes to make them healthier.

One particular video is focused on a woman who grew up in the southern US. The title of the video in the e-mail:

Meet "Southern Bell" Cheryl

This had to go through I can't even tell you how many levels of proofreading, and no one caught this. And my agency sent this out to hundreds of thousands of people. I know these mistakes are bad when the general public does it, but I think it's 1,000 times worse when this is done in a professional capacity. A little part of me just died.  :D
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #511 on: May 22, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »
My boss, a writer/copy editor, has two kids in elementary school. The music teacher sent home a flyer that said "There will be no lip-sinking in the talent show."

Her head exploded again as she told us about it.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Editeer

« Reply #512 on: May 22, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »
My boss, a writer/copy editor, has two kids in elementary school. The music teacher sent home a flyer that said "There will be no lip-sinking in the talent show."

Thank goodness, because loose ships sink lips, don't they?

jaxsue

« Reply #513 on: May 22, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »

It makes me sad when educators massacre the language!  :(

TootsNYC

« Reply #514 on: May 22, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »
There was a discussion a few pages back on the use of "more than" or "over" to indicate an amount in excess of a given figure.  This isn't my peeve.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't think this is technically incorrect.  But my peeve is when I read something like "She has more than 14 publications." (FWIW I've also seen it as "over X publications.")  Why not just write 15 pubs?  It only bugs me when it's a nonstandard number to use as a benchmark.  "More than 20 publications" is fine (if they want to be vague), because it could be 21, 22, 23, and so on.  Especially as you get into larger numbers it almost looks pedantic to list a specific number, for example 142 publications.  So, "more than 14" really just means 15, because if it were more than 15 (but less than 20), the usual choice would be to use 15 as the benchmark.  I would happily accept "14 publications and 3 currently in press" if that's what is really meant.

It doesn't actually mean "15"; it means "we could definitely find 14, but there is a big possibility that there are a couple more, but we couldn't confirm those. And we didn't want to say 'more than 10,' bcs that would mean 11 or 12 or 13."

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #515 on: May 22, 2014, 02:50:48 PM »

Get out of my brain  ;)
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #516 on: May 22, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »
There was a discussion a few pages back on the use of "more than" or "over" to indicate an amount in excess of a given figure.  This isn't my peeve.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't think this is technically incorrect.  But my peeve is when I read something like "She has more than 14 publications." (FWIW I've also seen it as "over X publications.")  Why not just write 15 pubs?  It only bugs me when it's a nonstandard number to use as a benchmark.  "More than 20 publications" is fine (if they want to be vague), because it could be 21, 22, 23, and so on.  Especially as you get into larger numbers it almost looks pedantic to list a specific number, for example 142 publications.  So, "more than 14" really just means 15, because if it were more than 15 (but less than 20), the usual choice would be to use 15 as the benchmark.  I would happily accept "14 publications and 3 currently in press" if that's what is really meant.

It doesn't actually mean "15"; it means "we could definitely find 14, but there is a big possibility that there are a couple more, but we couldn't confirm those. And we didn't want to say 'more than 10,' bcs that would mean 11 or 12 or 13."

I think lilfox has a point. The bolded statement might be what they intended to say, but that would be correctly stated as "She has at least 14 publications" (i.e., number of publications >= 14). The statement that "She has more than 14 publications" indicates that she definitely has at least 15 publications, since publications are discrete items (i.e., number of publications >14, and you can't have 14.2 or 14.5 publications, so number of publications >= 15).

Hijinks

• Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #517 on: May 22, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »

My kids' teachers are terrible spellers and have a poor understanding of grammar.  It's frustrating.

GreenHall

« Reply #518 on: May 22, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »

My kids' teachers are terrible spellers and have a poor understanding of grammar.  It's frustrating.
My sister's third grade teacher misspelling the SPELLING words, unapologetically, is when my mom gave up on the local school system, and put in an application to the charter school.  That charter school had just moved and about doubled in size that year.  I understand they were surprised at the level that the students from our county were on, during that first influx year...

(I don't post in this thread often, because I am not always sure of my grammar and spelling...)

o_gal

« Reply #519 on: May 23, 2014, 06:26:34 AM »
One particular video is focused on a woman who grew up in the southern US. The title of the video in the e-mail:

Maybe she spent her entire career working for the phone company  >:D

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #520 on: May 23, 2014, 10:10:08 AM »

Maybe she spent her entire career working for the phone company  >:D

Nope. That would be Bell South.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Twik

« Reply #521 on: May 23, 2014, 10:50:44 AM »
I refuse to accept responsibility if anyone starts bleeding from the eyeballs when they see this:
http://news.distractify.com/people/the-30-most-unnecessary-uses-of-quotation-marks-in-history/?v=1

>:D

The best is the fire alarm identified only by a set of quotation marks.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jaxsue

« Reply #522 on: May 23, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »

I thought that one of the requirements of being a teacher was being good at reading/writing.  :-[

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #523 on: May 23, 2014, 01:16:38 PM »
We have a custom plaque on the front of our house, with our address and last name (let's say it's Scattercherry.)

The sign says "The Scattercherry's, (address)".

This is a professionally done plaque. How did that manage to slip by? :-\
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

Thipu1

« Reply #524 on: May 24, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »
I refuse to accept responsibility if anyone starts bleeding from the eyeballs when they see this:
http://news.distractify.com/people/the-30-most-unnecessary-uses-of-quotation-marks-in-history/?v=1

>:D

The best is the fire alarm identified only by a set of quotation marks.

These are hilarious!  Thank you for sharing.  I also enjoyed the selections from Engrish.com.