Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 57710 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #525 on: May 24, 2014, 11:50:02 AM »
One particular video is focused on a woman who grew up in the southern US. The title of the video in the e-mail:

Meet "Southern Bell" Cheryl

Maybe she spent her entire career working for the phone company  >:D

Nope. That would be Bell South.

Wasn't it Southern Bell *before* it was Bell South, though?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #526 on: May 24, 2014, 03:08:27 PM »
I refuse to accept responsibility if anyone starts bleeding from the eyeballs when they see this:
http://news.distractify.com/people/the-30-most-unnecessary-uses-of-quotation-marks-in-history/?v=1

>:D

The best is the fire alarm identified only by a set of quotation marks.

These are hilarious!  Thank you for sharing.  I also enjoyed the selections from Engrish.com.

Back when the Yellow Pages were popular, the abuse of quotes was rampant there. I don't know if that's ever been fixed since I now decline them.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #527 on: May 24, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »
One particular video is focused on a woman who grew up in the southern US. The title of the video in the e-mail:

Meet "Southern Bell" Cheryl

Maybe she spent her entire career working for the phone company  >:D

Nope. That would be Bell South.

Wasn't it Southern Bell *before* it was Bell South, though?

I thought so. I know the other two (only 2 others?) were Pacific Bell and Mountain Bell, so it makes sense but I don't remember for sure myself.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #528 on: May 25, 2014, 07:54:10 AM »
I refuse to accept responsibility if anyone starts bleeding from the eyeballs when they see this:
http://news.distractify.com/people/the-30-most-unnecessary-uses-of-quotation-marks-in-history/?v=1

>:D

The best is the fire alarm identified only by a set of quotation marks.

These are hilarious!  Thank you for sharing.  I also enjoyed the selections from Engrish.com.

Back when the Yellow Pages were popular, the abuse of quotes was rampant there. I don't know if that's ever been fixed since I now decline them.

The worst part about 43 is not the use of quotations.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #529 on: May 25, 2014, 12:22:55 PM »
To my pastor today...something does not "beg the question." Begging the question is a logical fallacy construct. I think you meant "pose the question." Also, I felt kinda bad when you slipped and said that this world is trying to making truth "relevant" when you clearly meant "relative" by the context.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

turtleIScream

« Reply #530 on: May 25, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »
To my pastor today...something does not "beg the question." Begging the question is a logical fallacy construct. I think you meant "pose the question." Also, I felt kinda bad when you slipped and said that this world is trying to making truth "relevant" when you clearly meant "relative" by the context.

My former pastor moved to your church??

violinp

« Reply #531 on: May 26, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »

My former pastor moved to your church??

I hope not.  :P Though, two pastors being that embarrassing...
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #532 on: May 26, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
A friend of mine stated that she would be singing a "contatta". I knew she meant "cantata". It got on my nerves- but the first time I let it slide assuming it was one of those typos everyone else makes.

The second time she misspelled it like that, I let her know that it is spelled "cantata". And that "contatta" means "to contact" in Italian- while "cantata" means "a sung piece".

She never made that error again.
I have pet mice!

Specky

« Reply #533 on: May 26, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »
A roadside sign I used to pass on the way to and from college proclaimed:  "Egg's"  "From happy hen's"

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #534 on: May 30, 2014, 01:59:57 AM »
I'm seeing an awful lot of "would have" instead of "had".  Of course it's because if some confusion over the past conditional tense, but it grates.

For example,
"If I would have known X, then... (something different would have happened)" - should be "If I had known..."

"If you would have listened to me, then (we wouldn't have got lost)" - should be "If you had listened..."

It's made even more cringe-worthy when the misuse is doubled by "If I would of known..."

Shudder.

Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #535 on: May 30, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »
A FB friend's daughter is graduating from high school tommorrow, on her FB page she posted:

"I am being conceded and posting photos of myself for graduation..."

Dear Heavens, all that schooling and she still can't spell conceited ! 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #536 on: May 30, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »

Speaking of religion, I used to find the funniest typos in the church bulletin. One time it was a note that "lightening" had struck the steeple.  :o

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #537 on: May 30, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »
A FB friend's daughter is graduating from high school tommorrow, on her FB page she posted:

"I am being conceded and posting photos of myself for graduation..."

Dear Heavens, all that schooling and she still can't spell conceited !

I am not surprised at all. Not saying this is true of this young lady, but more and more college freshmen are having to take remedial classes because they're not prepared for college-level courses.  :-[

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #538 on: May 30, 2014, 11:56:05 AM »
It's not only first-year students who have the problem. 

A few years ago, a colleague was giving a summer workshop for teachers on the Amarna Period.  He referred to a certain turn of phrase in a document of the period  as a 'literary conceit'.

One teacher immediately jumped up and confronted him.  How dare he call Akhenaten conceited!
 :P

violinp

« Reply #539 on: May 30, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »
It's not only first-year students who have the problem. 

A few years ago, a colleague was giving a summer workshop for teachers on the Amarna Period.  He referred to a certain turn of phrase in a document of the period  as a 'literary conceit'.

One teacher immediately jumped up and confronted him.  How dare he call Akhenaten conceited!
 :P

Ow. I think my brain broke.