Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 61727 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #540 on: May 30, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
It's not only first-year students who have the problem. 

A few years ago, a colleague was giving a summer workshop for teachers on the Amarna Period.  He referred to a certain turn of phrase in a document of the period  as a 'literary conceit'.

One teacher immediately jumped up and confronted him.  How dare he call Akhenaten conceited!
 :P

So it's worse than I thought!  :P

o_gal

« Reply #541 on: May 30, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »
To my pastor today...something does not "beg the question." Begging the question is a logical fallacy construct. I think you meant "pose the question." Also, I felt kinda bad when you slipped and said that this world is trying to making truth "relevant" when you clearly meant "relative" by the context.

Speaking of religion, I used to find the funniest typos in the church bulletin. One time it was a note that "lightening" had struck the steeple.  :o

When I used to work on base, we would get emails from the weather ops group warning about dangerous weather conditions in the area. A coworker and I would get the biggest kick out of emails that warned us about:

dangerous lightening
dangerous lighting

:D

songbird

« Reply #542 on: May 30, 2014, 03:45:32 PM »
OK, here's a question.

When you're comparing two items, are they "different from" or "different to" each other?

There's a commercial on TV where the dentist says "Dentures are different to natural teeth."

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #543 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »
OK, here's a question.

When you're comparing two items, are they "different from" or "different to" each other?

There's a commercial on TV where the dentist says "Dentures are different to natural teeth."

Either is correct, although I think "different from" sounds better.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #544 on: May 30, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »
OK, here's a question.

"Different from" is USAian.
"Different to" is British.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

jmarvellous

« Reply #545 on: May 30, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »
OK, here's a question.

"Different from" is USAian.
"Different to" is British.

Indeed.

And "different than" is only correct in very, very limited circumstances (speaking for the US only).

BeagleMommy

« Reply #546 on: May 30, 2014, 03:58:32 PM »
I just remembered this.  When I was in high school, my mother's supervisor at the coffee shop where she worked paid me $5 per week to type the coffee shop menu (on a manual typewriter, no less).  I had to do so much proofreading and correcting that I was tempted to charge $10.  Some of her favorites:

Tomtoe soup (this is really how she believed "tomato" was spelled)
Marsh mellows (yes, she thought it was two words)
Special today: Count of Monte Crisco sandwich (I shudder to think what THAT would taste like regardless of blatant misspelling and misnaming)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #547 on: May 30, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »
DD came home from elementary school today with this bracelet:

It says "Caught Doing Good" and I'm not sure if that's supposed to mean that she was doing good in the community or if she was doing well in class.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #548 on: May 31, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »
DD came home from elementary school today with this bracelet:

It says "Caught Doing Good" and I'm not sure if that's supposed to mean that she was doing good in the community or if she was doing well in class.

It's probably indicating she was caught doing good things/behavior in class.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

turtleIScream

« Reply #549 on: May 31, 2014, 04:56:33 PM »
I posted on FB that I was recently diagnosed with allergy-induced asthma, triggered primarily by dust and pets. One of my friends commented that her allergies became much less bothersome after she cleaned her ducks. I was a little confused, because my allergy test included cats and dogs, not farm animals, and I was unaware they could test for duck allergies. Then I remembered that many people don't know the proper word is "ducts".
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #550 on: May 31, 2014, 05:33:05 PM »
I posted on FB that I was recently diagnosed with allergy-induced asthma, triggered primarily by dust and pets. One of my friends commented that her allergies became much less bothersome after she cleaned her ducks. I was a little confused, because my allergy test included cats and dogs, not farm animals, and I was unaware they could test for duck allergies. Then I remembered that many people don't know the proper word is "ducts".

I have to admit, as a spelling error goes, that one is rather good - I'm now picturing someone with a bathroom full of soapy aquatic avians and it's...amusing :)

dawnfire

« Reply #551 on: May 31, 2014, 09:36:10 PM »

I have to admit, as a spelling error goes, that one is rather good - I'm now picturing someone with a bathroom full of soapy aquatic avians and it's...amusing :)

or them sitting in the roof blowing hot air like on this ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0nabkpki7w

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #552 on: May 31, 2014, 11:28:21 PM »
Just got back from a girl scout camp (and if I never hear "Let It Go" again, it will be too soon . . .)

Anyway, I got a real kick out of all the signs saying

SLOW
GIRL SCOUTS
PLAYING

because it was obvious someone came along with a magic marker and snuck in a tiny comma after the "slow."

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #553 on: June 01, 2014, 02:19:13 AM »
... Which is why so many people seem to think it's called "duck tape".

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #554 on: June 01, 2014, 03:24:17 AM »
... Which is why so many people seem to think it's called "duck tape".

And now to really confuse folks, a company capitalized on the ignorance and named their brand "Duck Tape" and so there is a duck tape.

Here's the original by Scotch

And here's the second brand, Duck Tape

In the second one, in huge bold letters it says "Duck Tape", and then on the next line in tiny tiny font "Brand Duct Tape".