Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 57338 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #555 on: June 01, 2014, 05:36:49 AM »
I have Flamingo Pink Duck Tape. My life is immeasurably better for having it. And I don't even like pink.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #556 on: June 01, 2014, 07:02:14 AM »
The CBS Sunday Show had a feature on duck tape.  According to them, the original name was 'duck tape'.  It was used in the army during WW II as a water-resistant repair.  At that time, it was green.

After the war, civilians started using it to repair ductwork in their homes.  That's when the color was changed to silver and the name 'duct tape' came into being.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #557 on: June 01, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
And to further confuse matters, duct tape shouldn't actually be used on ducts.  You need a metal tape for that.  (As told to me by more than one contractor.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #558 on: June 01, 2014, 01:19:07 PM »
Duct tape can, however, be used on a broken water main. (The main under our street back in Colorado broke - we got to watch the repairmen fix it, and yes, they used duct tape!)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

flamingo

« Reply #559 on: June 01, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »
noone  :o

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #560 on: June 01, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »

kckgirl

« Reply #561 on: June 01, 2014, 03:05:07 PM »
A funny story about noone: We were keeping an attendance list for an event, and my co-worker called to ask me if I knew who Noone is. I checked our employee roster and found nobody by that name, and then it dawned on me. I asked her to read the email she got to see if "no one" fit. She started giggling, and I told her I see it on the Internet all the time.
Maryland

cabbageweevil

« Reply #562 on: June 02, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »
OK, here's a question.

When you're comparing two items, are they "different from" or "different to" each other?

There's a commercial on TV where the dentist says "Dentures are different to natural teeth."

"Different from" is USAian.
"Different to" is British.

Indeed.

And "different than" is only correct in very, very limited circumstances (speaking for the US only).

Brit here (English variety). I can't claim to speak for everyone in Britain -- but I've always considered "different from" to be the correct form of the expression; and so far as I recall, was taught thus. And I have the impression that most of my compatriots use "from", not "to".

scotcat60

« Reply #563 on: June 02, 2014, 11:38:38 AM »
Just got back from a girl scout camp (and if I never hear "Let It Go" again, it will be too soon . . .)

Anyway, I got a real kick out of all the signs saying

SLOW
GIRL SCOUTS
PLAYING

because it was obvious someone came along with a magic marker and snuck in a tiny comma after the "slow."

This reminds me of the story of an army base where one of the officers was a bad driver, and the men altered the sign saying HALT. MAJOR ROAD AHEAD, by adding a comma after the word major
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:23:39 AM by scotcat60 »

scotcat60

« Reply #564 on: June 02, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »
I'm seeing an awful lot of "would have" instead of "had".  Of course it's because if some confusion over the past conditional tense, but it grates.

For example,
"If I would have known X, then... (something different would have happened)" - should be "If I had known..."

"If you would have listened to me, then (we wouldn't have got lost)" - should be "If you had listened..."

It's made even more cringe-worthy when the misuse is doubled by "If I would of known..."

Shudder.

I am with you on this one. I once read a coment by someone "If I would have told you about what went on you would not have believed me" when all she needed to say was "If I had told you...."

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #565 on: June 02, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
Just got back from a girl scout camp (and if I never hear "Let It Go" again, it will be too soon . . .)

Anyway, I got a real kick out of all the signs saying

SLOW
GIRL SCOUTS
PLAYING

because it was obvious someone came along with a magic marker and snuck in a tiny comma after the "slow."

It should've been a colon or semicolon.  :P
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog (M); Magpie (M); Zuul (F); Nazgul (F)

fountainof

« Reply #566 on: June 02, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »
There have been new commercials in my area for Lysol products that are saying instead of cleaning, people should be healthing (i.e. cleaning to improve health).  So, now they have a big campaign on "healthing".  Have other people here seen these commercials?  I wonder who had thought this up, probably someone who was a fan of Google as a verb and wanted to create their own branding with a new verb.

missanpan

« Reply #567 on: June 02, 2014, 02:01:58 PM »
There have been new commercials in my area for Lysol products that are saying instead of cleaning, people should be healthing (i.e. cleaning to improve health).  So, now they have a big campaign on "healthing".  Have other people here seen these commercials?  I wonder who had thought this up, probably someone who was a fan of Google as a verb and wanted to create their own branding with a new verb.

This reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip and "verbing:"

http://www.unmemorabletitle.co.uk/verbing-weirds-language/

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #568 on: June 02, 2014, 05:15:27 PM »
Apostrophe abuse at a barbershop in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #569 on: June 02, 2014, 05:29:33 PM »
and also for line ups... if those letters can't be in a straight line, I don't want to come to you for whatever a line up might be.