Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 59337 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #585 on: June 13, 2014, 06:53:16 PM »
To go with "axed", their partners "excape" and "expresso."  ::)

I regret to inform you.  Expresso is now in the dictionary listed as a variant.  My condolences

:P

PastryGoddess

« Reply #586 on: June 13, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
Under a picture in an article:  "To embiggen, please click here."

It's urban slang and can be used to great effect as seen here  http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/urban-scientist/2013/10/11/give-trouble-to-others-but-not-me/

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #587 on: June 13, 2014, 09:12:56 PM »
Not "twitch" as much as "laugh uproariously," but I'll just link this here.  (Not spectacularly dirty, but contains a word I suspect eHell would filter.)  Granted, it was written by a kid so strange spellings are standard, but still  ;D ;D ;D

mlmama

« Reply #588 on: June 14, 2014, 02:21:34 AM »
I have a few that have been making me go twicthy lately. First, my daughter texting me and saying "doe" instead of though. I tell her, "I am not a female deer, dear."  :P Second, my friend from high school that posts on FB uses "hafta" instead of have to. Another FB friend has used "are" instead of "our" when talking about things she and her husband are doing together.  I hope I haven't made too many errors in writing this. I know my grammar is far from perfect!  ;D

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #589 on: June 14, 2014, 02:26:17 AM »
A chef I watch talked about the flavors "meddling together". Sir, the word is "melding".

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #590 on: June 14, 2014, 03:33:02 AM »
A chef I watch talked about the flavors "meddling together". Sir, the word is "melding".

Not if he's talking about the sort of pies mentioned in the link that Slartibartfast gave a couple of posts up. In that case, 'meddling' may be just the word we need!
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #591 on: June 14, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »
My friend who teaches at a local college just received this e-mail from a student:

"i dont undstand m grade on essy? Why u grade so lo?"

::)

Did the teacher write back something along the lines of  "I don't understand your spelling or grammar.  Please repeat the question in proper format."?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #592 on: July 03, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »
I am resurrecting this thread to complain about a writing trend I'm seeing more and more frequently. For lack of a better term, I call it Unnecessary Possession. Here are a couple of examples:

"Yesterday, I had a man cut in line in front of me at the grocery store."
"At work this morning, we had a client come in and immediately start yelling at the receptionist."

It bugs me every time I see it. What's the matter with:

"Yesterday at the grocery store, a man cut in line in front of me."
"At work this morning, a client came in and immediately started yelling at the receptionist."
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #593 on: July 03, 2014, 05:09:15 PM »
I am resurrecting this thread to complain about a writing trend I'm seeing more and more frequently. For lack of a better term, I call it Unnecessary Possession. Here are a couple of examples:

"At work this morning, we had a client come in and immediately start yelling at the receptionist."

I am *so* stealing this.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #594 on: July 03, 2014, 05:11:19 PM »
My dad used to complain about what he called the "First Person Conditional" tense:

"We'd like to welcome you to the Atlanta airport."

(He said he always half-expected them to go on: "Unfortunately, we seem to have landed in Chicago.")
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

PastryGoddess

« Reply #595 on: July 03, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »

"At work this morning, a client came in and immediately started yelling at the receptionist."

My dad used to complain about what he called the "First Person Conditional" tense:

"We'd like to welcome you to the Atlanta airport."

(He said he always half-expected them to go on: "Unfortunately, we seem to have landed in Chicago.")

There are phrases for these things I hate!  I love you both

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #596 on: July 04, 2014, 04:46:01 AM »

Interesting observation! I think I'm guilty of that! I'm going to start paying attention to what I say in order to avoid it.

Anniissa

« Reply #597 on: July 04, 2014, 06:09:05 AM »
I don't understand how apparently people have completely forgotten how to spell drawer - just in the last couple of days I've seen a work email asking about something missing from a "desk draw", an otherwise very professional looking sign advertising a "chest of draws" and twice in national newspapers the word used was draw when they obviously meant drawer. Surely, at least in the newspaper there ought to be an editor or copy checker who should spot this  ???

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #598 on: July 04, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »

Interesting observation! I think I'm guilty of that! I'm going to start paying attention to what I say in order to avoid it.

I'm definitely guilty of this! Mostly because I really dislike interposed sentences when they can be avoided, and would rather use unnecessary possession (love it!) instead.

Of course "Yesterday a man cut in front of me at the grocery store" would be even better than both those examples :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #599 on: July 05, 2014, 01:23:06 AM »
I don't understand how apparently people have completely forgotten how to spell drawer - just in the last couple of days I've seen a work email asking about something missing from a "desk draw", an otherwise very professional looking sign advertising a "chest of draws" and twice in national newspapers the word used was draw when they obviously meant drawer. Surely, at least in the newspaper there ought to be an editor or copy checker who should spot this  ???

Part of the problem is that, in some accents, drawer sounds like "draw" or "draw'r," so if someone's not paying attention to what's being said, they may think that's how it's said/spelled.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter