Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 57597 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #630 on: July 26, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »
Flout and flaunt. 

Flout means to openly disregard. 
Flaunt means to parade some perceived superiority. 

The only things you can flout are rules and convention.  You can flaunt  wealth, education or anything else that makes you feel you're better than someone else. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #631 on: July 26, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »
For some reason today I'm coming across the 'silent e' thing. Can people not hear the difference with words that aren't even pronounced the same way? This morning I've encountered 'I am loathe to do...' No, you aren't. You're loath to. Loathe is a verb. I loathe eating offal, I am loath to eat it. One is a verb and the other is an adjective. I've also seen 'I'm just going to change my cloths' for 'clothes', and 'she couldn't breath properly'. I'm a bit hiss and spit this morning and it's annoying me even more than usual.

Silent E!

You're not alone; that bothers me, too.

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
« Reply #632 on: July 26, 2014, 01:00:47 PM »
Mine is comma abuse.  Hubby always puts a comma in a sentence as he put it: " when you are pausing in a sentence, you add a comma".  I don't look at it that way as it looks like comma splicing, and so I do not let him proof my school papers (although he can do anything else!)  Working in the local school system, I see a lot of beginning spelling mistakes from my kids, what I do is ask them to speak out the word and then try to spell it.  If that doesn't work, then I introduce them to Mr. Webster (we keep children's dictionaries in the classroom) and try to introduce them to the joys of a well written sentence even in second grade! 
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #633 on: July 26, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
For some reason today I'm coming across the 'silent e' thing. Can people not hear the difference with words that aren't even pronounced the same way? This morning I've encountered 'I am loathe to do...' No, you aren't. You're loath to. Loathe is a verb. I loathe eating offal, I am loath to eat it. One is a verb and the other is an adjective. I've also seen 'I'm just going to change my cloths' for 'clothes', and 'she couldn't breath properly'. I'm a bit hiss and spit this morning and it's annoying me even more than usual.

Silent E!

Uh, I've always heard "loath" and "loathe" pronounced the same way. I still spell them differently, though.

The others, though, make no sense.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #634 on: July 26, 2014, 01:11:42 PM »
This is syntax more than anything else, but

They later had to clarify as "Dutch military plane carrying Malaysia Airlines bodies lands in Eindhoven" - the plane was carrying bodies from the crash and it landed safely; it didn't "crash land."

::)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #635 on: July 26, 2014, 01:27:10 PM »
I'm glad I read your explanation...I was horrified there for a minute. I thought, 'The plane carrying the bodies from that crash *crash landed*?? Those people are CURSED!"
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Marga

« Reply #636 on: July 26, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »

Silent E!

I never knew that, thank you. This will help me whenever I'm not certain about that last E, without the need to check the dictionary.

Smulkin

« Reply #637 on: July 28, 2014, 08:09:09 AM »
 Another syntax-y issue. I'll call it the dangling 'which', since I'm not sure of the terminology.

e.g. Stan and Fauntleroy are making cakes. Stan makes a superb, exemplary cake, whereas Fauntleroy becomes distracted, leaves something to overheat, goes off somewhere and returns to find half his ingredients aflame. No one is pleased.
 You want to convey this displeasure to Fauntleroy, thusly: "You were meant to be baking... something which Stan accomplished, but you not only failed *spectacularly* at, but topped off by setting the cheese on fire."

I see a lot of this instead: "You were meant to be baking... Stan accomplished this, which you not only failed *spectacularly* at baking but set the cheese on fire too."

It works if you substitute 'whereas' for 'which', but it's like the writer/speaker lost track of what their 'which' referred to (i.e. baking), spiralled off into a new thought, and restated a whole unnecessary clump of sentence. It reads as if it's switched tracks suddenly in the middle, and if it's a very long sentence, I lose the thread.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #638 on: July 28, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »
This is one that really bothers me, because if you read it it makes no sense: "First come, first serve." It makes my brain hurt!

jmarvellous

« Reply #639 on: July 28, 2014, 01:09:43 PM »
This is one that really bothers me, because if you read it it makes no sense: "First come, first serve." It makes my brain hurt!

I've seen it with or without a D on the end, but either way is extraordinarily lazy shorthand for, "The first people who come through the door are the first people we serve/first people who are served."

"Drive-Thru" -- I might have brought this one up before, but the "thru" spelling really bothers me in this context, and it's worse when it's used for any other "through." It's so commonplace that I don't think people realize they're doing it.

"Donuts" instead of "doughnuts": Add this to the list of do-nots. :D

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #640 on: July 28, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »

I've seen it with or without a D on the end, but either way is extraordinarily lazy shorthand for, "The first people who come through the door are the first people we serve/first people who are served."

After getting ice cream yesterday, The Sweetie and I were musing about why "ice cream" instead of "iced cream" is okay but "can goods" instead of "canned goods" isn't.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

lowspark

« Reply #641 on: July 28, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »

After getting ice cream yesterday, The Sweetie and I were musing about why "ice cream" instead of "iced cream" is okay but "can goods" instead of "canned goods" isn't.

Also, "ice tea" - not ok. It's "iced tea".

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #642 on: July 28, 2014, 03:12:28 PM »

"Drive-Thru" -- I might have brought this one up before, but the "thru" spelling really bothers me in this context, and it's worse when it's used for any other "through." It's so commonplace that I don't think people realize they're doing it.

"Donuts" instead of "doughnuts": Add this to the list of do-nots. :D

Re: the "D," if you leave the letter off it means that you are the first to serve, not to be served (the first people to come through are the first served). Yes, people write it, "first serve," but it's incorrect.

I don't like "thru," either. Even when I'm texting I spell it "through."

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #643 on: July 28, 2014, 03:13:13 PM »

Also, "ice tea" - not ok. It's "iced tea".

Yes, that one, too!  :)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #644 on: July 28, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »
A local ice cream store had "salt carmel" as their special flavor of the week.  When I saw it I turned to DH and did this  :o ::) >:(.

He looked at me and said "You want to take your red pen out of your purse, don't you?".

Yes, yes I do.