Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 61330 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #645 on: July 28, 2014, 04:06:26 PM »
A local ice cream store had "salt carmel" as their special flavor of the week.  When I saw it I turned to DH and did this  :o ::) >:(.

He looked at me and said "You want to take your red pen out of your purse, don't you?".

Yes, yes I do.

Oh, right. I forgot about the ice-cream place's poster for banana splits, which listed one ingredient as "pealed bananas."
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #646 on: July 28, 2014, 04:12:20 PM »
A local ice cream store had "salt carmel" as their special flavor of the week.  When I saw it I turned to DH and did this  :o ::) >:(.

He looked at me and said "You want to take your red pen out of your purse, don't you?".

Yes, yes I do.

Oh, right. I forgot about the ice-cream place's poster for banana splits, which listed one ingredient as "pealed bananas."

Okay, I'm now picturing bananas pealing with laughter because being peeled tickles!  Thanks for that!

whatsanenigma

« Reply #647 on: July 28, 2014, 04:14:36 PM »

Yes, yes I do.

Okay, I'm now picturing bananas pealing with laughter because being peeled tickles!  Thanks for that!

I was thinking of maybe bells shaped like bananas, being rung for all they're worth.  Maybe a windchime that looks like a bunch of bananas, all making a joyful noise.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #648 on: July 28, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »
This is one that really bothers me, because if you read it it makes no sense: "First come, first serve." It makes my brain hurt!

I've seen it with or without a D on the end, but either way is extraordinarily lazy shorthand for, "The first people who come through the door are the first people we serve/first people who are served."

"Drive-Thru" -- I might have brought this one up before, but the "thru" spelling really bothers me in this context, and it's worse when it's used for any other "through." It's so commonplace that I don't think people realize they're doing it.

"Donuts" instead of "doughnuts": Add this to the list of do-nots. :D

Some of these I think are acceptable, though. "Donuts" is just an alternate spelling for "doughnuts". And "thru" seems to be the standard spelling in the special case of "drive-thru". It's a commercial construction, not simply a misspelling.

I would gladly accept donuts if we could get rid of "lay" for "lie". "Lie" is a perfectly good word - why don't we use it? It's not as if "lay" is shorter, or easier to spell.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Eeep!

« Reply #649 on: July 28, 2014, 04:32:59 PM »
This is one that really bothers me, because if you read it it makes no sense: "First come, first serve." It makes my brain hurt!

I've seen it with or without a D on the end, but either way is extraordinarily lazy shorthand for, "The first people who come through the door are the first people we serve/first people who are served."

After getting ice cream yesterday, The Sweetie and I were musing about why "ice cream" instead of "iced cream" is okay but "can goods" instead of "canned goods" isn't.

Also, "ice tea" - not ok. It's "iced tea".

My 5 year old son had this exact question.  We had previously discussed the use of "whipped cream" and that a lot of people just say "whip cream". And then I had used iced tea as another example of this mistake. So then a couple days later I said something about  ice cream and he said "Mom, I think maybe it should really be iced cream." I had to tell him he had a really good point. ;)

Edited to fix quoting error.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:34:38 PM by Eeep! »
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

whatsanenigma

« Reply #650 on: July 28, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »

After getting ice cream yesterday, The Sweetie and I were musing about why "ice cream" instead of "iced cream" is okay but "can goods" instead of "canned goods" isn't.

My 5 year old son had this exact question.  We had previously discussed the use of "whipped cream" and that a lot of people just say "whip cream". And then I had used iced tea as another example of this mistake. So then a couple days later I said something about  ice cream and he said "Mom, I think maybe it should really be iced cream.". I had to tell him he had a really good point. ;)

I'm kind of torn here.  I tend to think of "iced tea" as being correct because there is tea and it has been iced.  And "whipped cream" is correct because there is cream and it has been whipped.  But "ice cream" isn't cream that has been iced, so leaving off the "d" seems more okay to me.  I think of it more as ice that has been creamed (with milk, etc, added to it).  "Cream of ice", if you will.  But you could see it the other way around, I suppose.  :D

Eeep!

« Reply #651 on: July 28, 2014, 04:37:32 PM »
My pet peeve - and sadly something I see all the time online - is the use of rediculous, instead of ridiculous.  Otherwise educated, intelligent people use that spelling.  Drives me bonkers!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Eeep!

« Reply #652 on: July 28, 2014, 04:38:14 PM »

My 5 year old son had this exact question.  We had previously discussed the use of "whipped cream" and that a lot of people just say "whip cream". And then I had used iced tea as another example of this mistake. So then a couple days later I said something about  ice cream and he said "Mom, I think maybe it should really be iced cream.". I had to tell him he had a really good point. ;)

I'm kind of torn here.  I tend to think of "iced tea" as being correct because there is tea and it has been iced.  And "whipped cream" is correct because there is cream and it has been whipped.  But "ice cream" isn't cream that has been iced, so leaving off the "d" seems more okay to me.  I think of it more as ice that has been creamed (with milk, etc, added to it).  "Cream of ice", if you will.  But you could see it the other way around, I suppose.  :D

That was actually the explanation I ended up giving him! :)

whatsanenigma

« Reply #653 on: July 28, 2014, 04:38:48 PM »

That was actually the explanation I ended up giving him! :)

Cool! Great minds think alike, I guess.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #654 on: July 28, 2014, 04:41:59 PM »

"Drive-Thru" -- I might have brought this one up before, but the "thru" spelling really bothers me in this context, and it's worse when it's used for any other "through." It's so commonplace that I don't think people realize they're doing it.

"Donuts" instead of "doughnuts": Add this to the list of do-nots. :D

Some of these I think are acceptable, though. "Donuts" is just an alternate spelling for "doughnuts". And "thru" seems to be the standard spelling in the special case of "drive-thru". It's a commercial construction, not simply a misspelling.

I would gladly accept donuts if we could get rid of "lay" for "lie". "Lie" is a perfectly good word - why don't we use it? It's not as if "lay" is shorter, or easier to spell.

I am reminded of the old bit by Gallagher (the comedian who smashed watermelons) where he was making fun of weird words and he said "Drive through hamburgers? Ewwwww" while turning an imaginary steering wheel and looking around with disgust.

Maybe the "thru" spelling of the word in that context is because driving "through" hamburgers really isn't all that appealing.   ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #655 on: July 28, 2014, 04:42:44 PM »
It's interesting. With regards to the "ice tea," would you not say "lemon tea," rather than "lemoned tea"?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #656 on: July 28, 2014, 04:45:57 PM »
I thought it was ice tea also.

I just order tea, if I want it hot I say "hot tea"  I don't even bother with the ice/iced, obviously it comes with ice if it's not hot tea.

But once again, proving my redneck ignorance, I thought it was ice tea.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #657 on: July 28, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »
It's interesting. With regards to the "ice tea," would you not say "lemon tea," rather than "lemoned tea"?

Personally, I would say "tea with lemon", but that's a really good question.  Maybe in that case you could say that lemon is an adjective.  "Lemon tea" in the same way as you would say "hot tea".  And you could say "sweetened tea" if you really wanted to but "sweet tea" is okay because the tea is now sweet.  The adjective "sweet" modifies the noun "tea".

I really could do without the phrase "unsweet tea", though.  That's just annoying.  It kind of implies that sweet (or sweetened) tea is the default, when really, when you make tea it isn't sweetened and if you want it to be, you have to add something to it.

And McDonald's new "diet sweet tea" really has me confused.  How is that different from taking regular tea and adding fake sugar to it? 

whatsanenigma

« Reply #658 on: July 28, 2014, 04:51:16 PM »
I thought it was ice tea also.

I just order tea, if I want it hot I say "hot tea"  I don't even bother with the ice/iced, obviously it comes with ice if it's not hot tea.

But once again, proving my redneck ignorance, I thought it was ice tea.

Well, in all fairness, if you want to say "iced tea" you really have to go out of your way to hit that d on the end and then pause a little bit before you say "tea".  When you speak quickly, the words kind of blur together, so I can see how it would be easy to think that it's "ice tea".

Eeep!

« Reply #659 on: July 28, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »

I would. But that is because I would be thinking that the tea itself has lemon in it.  Whereas the iced tea is over ice.  (So really, we should just all say "tea, on the rocks".)

But then, I actually use "ice tea" about half the time. I also use "whip cream".   >:D