Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 66419 times)

Eeep!

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #660 on: July 28, 2014, 04:52:52 PM »
It's interesting. With regards to the "ice tea," would you not say "lemon tea," rather than "lemoned tea"?

Personally, I would say "tea with lemon", but that's a really good question.  Maybe in that case you could say that lemon is an adjective.  "Lemon tea" in the same way as you would say "hot tea".  And you could say "sweetened tea" if you really wanted to but "sweet tea" is okay because the tea is now sweet.  The adjective "sweet" modifies the noun "tea".

I really could do without the phrase "unsweet tea", though.  That's just annoying.  It kind of implies that sweet (or sweetened) tea is the default, when really, when you make tea it isn't sweetened and if you want it to be, you have to add something to it.

And McDonald's new "diet sweet tea" really has me confused.  How is that different from taking regular tea and adding fake sugar to it?

The bolded part is how I feel about the use of the phrase "gin martini". 
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

whatsanenigma

« Reply #661 on: July 28, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
It's interesting. With regards to the "ice tea," would you not say "lemon tea," rather than "lemoned tea"?

I would. But that is because I would be thinking that the tea itself has lemon in it.  Whereas the iced tea is over ice.  (So really, we should just all say "tea, on the rocks".)

But then, I actually use "ice tea" about half the time. I also use "whip cream".   >:D

See my above post, LOL.  "Whip cream" has a similar problem, I think.  The "whipped" blurs with the "cream" if you aren't careful-so sometimes it's impossible to tell which one somebody is saying anyway.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #662 on: July 28, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »

I'm not sure that I'd use either. If you're talking about a cup of tea with the juice of a lemon added just before serving, I would say "tea with lemon" (similarly "tea with honey," etc.). OTOH, I would definitely use the "X tea" construction for X-flavored tea, e.g., "peach tea" is a peach-flavored tea, so I guess I would use "lemon tea" for a tea that came already flavored with lemon. However, peach tea hasn't been "peached"--it has been flavored with peach. By contrast, iced tea is not ice-flavored tea nor does it necessarily contain chunks of ice; instead, it's tea that has been cooled or "iced". The temperature is the defining factor, not the ingredients.

I would. But that is because I would be thinking that the tea itself has lemon in it.  Whereas the iced tea is over ice.  (So really, we should just all say "tea, on the rocks".)

Where I'm from, iced tea is just "tea" (you have to specify "hot tea" to get anything else), but I could totally get behind "tea, on the rocks."  ;D

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #663 on: July 28, 2014, 05:43:07 PM »

Personally, I would say "tea with lemon", but that's a really good question.  Maybe in that case you could say that lemon is an adjective.  "Lemon tea" in the same way as you would say "hot tea".  And you could say "sweetened tea" if you really wanted to but "sweet tea" is okay because the tea is now sweet.  The adjective "sweet" modifies the noun "tea".

I really could do without the phrase "unsweet tea", though.  That's just annoying.  It kind of implies that sweet (or sweetened) tea is the default, when really, when you make tea it isn't sweetened and if you want it to be, you have to add something to it.

And McDonald's new "diet sweet tea" really has me confused.  How is that different from taking regular tea and adding fake sugar to it?

The bolded part is how I feel about the use of the phrase "gin martini". 

I agree, but unfortunately vodka has become the default at many places.  I've taken to ordering a call drink rather than take the chance that my drink will come out with the wrong spirit.

kckgirl

« Reply #664 on: July 28, 2014, 05:50:13 PM »
I just thought of one, and this thread is so long I can't find if I already mentioned it.

Next store is not the house next to you. That's the house next door.

It's another one where pronunciation sounds different than the real words if you say it quickly. It's really similar to could of, would of, should of, which are really the contractions could've, would've, and should've for could have, would have, and should have.
Maryland

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #665 on: July 28, 2014, 05:54:36 PM »
A local ice cream store had "salt carmel" as their special flavor of the week.  When I saw it I turned to DH and did this  :o ::) >:(.

He looked at me and said "You want to take your red pen out of your purse, don't you?".

Yes, yes I do.

We are soul mates.  :) My local ice cream place has "sherbert."

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #666 on: July 28, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »
Nouns being turned into verbs tends to drive me nuts. I've recently been watching Food Factory and enjoying it - but I twitch every time the narrators refer to the act of wrapping a stacked pallet of boxes as the boxes being "palletized". That is not a word! Stop verbing the noun!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #667 on: July 28, 2014, 07:15:23 PM »

This is wholly regional - in the southern US, "iced tea" generally tastes like kool-aid with a tea leaf in it.  In the northern US, it tastes like cold tea and you have to add sweetener yourself.  It is different, though - sweet tea is super-saturated, so it literally has more sugar than you'd be able to add by yourself and not have a big pile of sludge at the bottom.  (A lot of commercial sweet teas are corn-syrup-based.)  I'm assuming the McDonald's "diet sweet tea" is of the super-saturated-flavor variety, but with artificial sweetener instead.

perpetua

« Reply #668 on: July 28, 2014, 07:26:37 PM »
Nouns being turned into verbs tends to drive me nuts. I've recently been watching Food Factory and enjoying it - but I twitch every time the narrators refer to the act of wrapping a stacked pallet of boxes as the boxes being "palletized". That is not a word! Stop verbing the noun!

I feel your pain. There's an advert on TV in the UK at the moment that urges its watchers to "weekend like nobody's watching" and just... no.

Smulkin

« Reply #669 on: July 29, 2014, 05:36:58 AM »
 Re. whipped/whip, iced/ice etc., some similar annoyances: "you're suppose to," "I'm just old-fashion", "you're bias/prejudice", and 'that's so cliché".

lowspark

« Reply #670 on: July 29, 2014, 08:27:34 AM »
I thought it was ice tea also.

I just order tea, if I want it hot I say "hot tea"  I don't even bother with the ice/iced, obviously it comes with ice if it's not hot tea.

But once again, proving my redneck ignorance, I thought it was ice tea.

Well, in all fairness, if you want to say "iced tea" you really have to go out of your way to hit that d on the end and then pause a little bit before you say "tea".  When you speak quickly, the words kind of blur together, so I can see how it would be easy to think that it's "ice tea".

Oh sure, when you say it, the words meld together. But that's true of many word combinations.
However, the correct way to write it is "iced" not "ice" tea.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #671 on: July 29, 2014, 10:12:49 AM »
I looked at a carton yesterday - Whipping Cream

So after you whip it, it is whipped cream, when would it ever be whip cream?

And what does it say on Cool Whip (I forgot to look yesterday)  Whipped topping?

On the tea issue, my brother orders Sweet Tea, if they bring him raspberry or peach tea he sends it back.  We look at each other and say where did THAT come from? 

We are in Texas, sweet is the default around here.

lowspark

« Reply #672 on: July 29, 2014, 10:25:52 AM »
I looked at a carton yesterday - Whipping Cream

So after you whip it, it is whipped cream, when would it ever be whip cream?

And what does it say on Cool Whip (I forgot to look yesterday)  Whipped topping?

On the tea issue, my brother orders Sweet Tea, if they bring him raspberry or peach tea he sends it back.  We look at each other and say where did THAT come from? 

We are in Texas, sweet is the default around here.

LOL! What part of Texas? I'm in Houston, and regular ol' brewed tea on ice with no additional flavorings or sweeteners is the default here. Some restaurants do offer "sweet tea" but it certainly is not the default. Probably Texas is too big and diverse to have one default.  ;)

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #673 on: July 29, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »
I am in west Texas, Midland-Odessa, when I order tea the waitperson says SWEET and I have to say no almost every darn time. 

(I love, love, love sweet tea but my body doesn't love the sugar)

lowspark

« Reply #674 on: July 29, 2014, 10:47:48 AM »
Yeah, I can't do "sweet" either. I went to a BBQ place here once and the only kind of tea they offered was "sweet". So, ok, I thought I'd try it. My teeth about fell out, it was so sweet. After about three sips I couldn't drink anymore.

I do put sweet n low in my tea, but you know, just a little bit.