Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 65572 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #780 on: September 02, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »
Perhaps the person who couldn't spell holocaust hopes to be a TV subtitle writer. Some of the spellings I have seen on those are really peculiar.

I have to say that I find those errors in closed captions to be completely forgivable. I can't imagine typing what was already said while also listening to what is currently being said. That's got to be tough!
Only if the captioning is being done live.  There is no excuse for something recorded to have errors of that sort, and I still see similar howlers like "Mice are gay."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #781 on: September 02, 2014, 10:43:33 AM »
Perhaps the person who couldn't spell holocaust hopes to be a TV subtitle writer. Some of the spellings I have seen on those are really peculiar.

I have to say that I find those errors in closed captions to be completely forgivable. I can't imagine typing what was already said while also listening to what is currently being said. That's got to be tough!
Only if the captioning is being done live.  There is no excuse for something recorded to have errors of that sort, and I still see similar howlers like "Mice are gay."

I fully agree-and now I really want to know what "mice are gay" was supposed to be.  :)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #782 on: September 02, 2014, 10:53:51 AM »

I fully agree-and now I really want to know what "mice are gay" was supposed to be.  :)
From earlier in the thread:
Quote from: baglady
Re closed-caption errors: My favorite was on some sports talk show where they were discussing figure skater Ekaterina Gordeeva's book about her late husband/skating partner, "My Sergei." On the captioning it came out "Mice Are gay."
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #783 on: September 02, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »

From earlier in the thread:
Quote from: baglady
Re closed-caption errors: My favorite was on some sports talk show where they were discussing figure skater Ekaterina Gordeeva's book about her late husband/skating partner, "My Sergei." On the captioning it came out "Mice Are gay."

Oh, I see. I must have missed that.  Thanks!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #784 on: September 02, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »

I don't think these are done by people. I'm pretty sure most of the "live" close-captioning is done by some sort of voice-recognition software, which is still pretty rudimentary. There's just too much gibberish for it to be done by a human, even a human with a poor ear and bad spelling.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #785 on: September 02, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »
Like Twik's, my understanding is that most closed captioning is done by voice recognition software. It might be edited after the fact, but I thought the first pass was done by computer.

JoW

« Reply #786 on: September 02, 2014, 10:11:53 PM »
Destroyal.  Its the term my employer uses to describe product or ingredients that are bad and have to be destroyed.  Not destruction.  Destroyal. 

Drives me crazy.  And its so ingrained it can't be changed. 

whatsanenigma

« Reply #787 on: September 03, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »
Destroyal.  Its the term my employer uses to describe product or ingredients that are bad and have to be destroyed.  Not destruction.  Destroyal. 

Drives me crazy.  And its so ingrained it can't be changed.

So, basically, if something is to be destroyed, it gets renamed "destroyal"? Example: "This bag of flour has worms in it-put it in the pile with the rest of the destroyal"? What's wrong with "garbage" or "trash" or some similar word?

Ordinarily I don't have a problem with verbing nouns and nouning verbs-sometimes that can be quite creative!  But this particular one makes my teeth squeak.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #788 on: September 03, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »
I thought it was more like "this bag of Fluor must be subject to destroyal."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

whatsanenigma

« Reply #789 on: September 03, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »

Now that you point it out, you're probably right.  That makes more sense.

And that seems so much worse for some reason, than just renaming it "destroyal"!  :D

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #790 on: September 03, 2014, 11:06:30 PM »
The most hilarious (and quite true, considering the subject) teletext I've ever read was "Eddie O lied"-- it was meant to read Eddie Obeid.

Captains Flat, Australia

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #791 on: September 03, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »
is it ironic that the word "Spelling" in the thread title mistakenly has three l's instead of 2?

I originally wrote it as "grammer and spellling" but a mod went and corrected half of it  ;)

JoW

« Reply #792 on: September 03, 2014, 11:17:27 PM »

Now that you point it out, you're probably right.  That makes more sense.

And that seems so much worse for some reason, than just renaming it "destroyal"!  :D
The form we fill out to keep the accountants and the USDA happy is called a "Notice of Destroyal"  People talk about having to fill out a Destroyal Form.  And yes, we say "subject to destroyal". 

(I make animal vaccines for a living.  Everything we make, even the stuff we through out, has to be reported to the US Department of Agriculture.  They regulate animal vaccines. )

cabbageweevil

« Reply #793 on: September 04, 2014, 03:53:15 AM »
Re the "destroyal" discussion: I feel that it's rather a good-sounding word.  I could live with it as an alternative, in-parallel with "destruction" !

Xandraea

« Reply #794 on: September 04, 2014, 08:54:44 AM »
is it ironic that the word "Spelling" in the thread title mistakenly has three l's instead of 2?

I originally wrote it as "grammer and spellling" but a mod went and corrected half of it  ;)

Your'e "grammer and spellling" maked the mod twitch.  ;)

(how many more are twitching now?)  ;D ;D