Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 45424 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: Grammer and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 01:11:10 AM »
hey I can at least claim to know about tenterhooks! There is hope for me yet!

Woohoo! \o/

I'm perhaps too ready to excuse those who butcher the language; but I've long known, and sometimes used, the expression "on tenterhooks" (anxiously waiting to see how something is going to work out), without having the faintest idea what a "tenterhook" was -- and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.  I feel that the word's lacking a literal significance for people, makes them more likely to mangle it.

Googling took me to The Free Dictionary: which says that the expression is "based on the literal meaning of "tenterhook" (a hook that holds cloth that is stretched to dry), suggesting that someone's emotions are tightly stretched like a piece of cloth held by tenterhooks."  This whole thing seems rather far-fetched to me; nonetheless, colloquial English clearly took "on tenterhooks" to its bosom, for quite a long while.

It does seem rather farfetched, doesn't it? I don't even remember where I picked it up...possibly a book, but like you, I didn't really know the meaning until I purposely went and looked it up. I just knew how to use it.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 01:32:24 AM »
Yeah, apostrophe abuse gets to me big-time. Also, it annoys me when people confuse "faze" and "phase" (as in, "He noticed the cat was on fire, but it didn't phase him, he just dumped the champagne bottle on her and went on talking to the Prime Minister". It's faze).

My paper (which is a major paper, not a local rag) got the phase/faze thing wrong in a story today. Obviously, too many editors have been laid off!

Sebastienne

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 01:35:33 AM »
There are so many. Apostrophe abuse, there/their/they're, its/it's, and you're/your top the list. Also:

• Weary instead of wary. "I'm weary of vans with 'Free candy, kids!'' spray painted on the side." You're tired of them? Really? How often do you see them?
  • Oogle instead of ogle. Oogle isn't a word.
  • Mischevious also is not a word, as fun as it is to say.
  • Literally, misused. "My head literally exploded." It absolutely did not, if you're talking to me now.

Paper Roses

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 01:39:43 AM »
In Miley Cyrus' new song - she says, "Don't you know it's we who own the night . . ." well, ok, I guess she gets points for being grammatically correct, but in the same song she says, "Don't take nothing from nobody." 

I just can't.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Paper Roses

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 01:40:36 AM »
Oh, and when I see "The person that . . ." or "Anyone that . . ."  I cringe. 
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Pen^2

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 03:13:16 AM »
Double negatives: "I'm not doing nothing wrong!"
Not understanding plurals: "John and Fred is friends," which occurs unfortunately frequently in longer sentences. Or, the worst, "The data shows..." "The oxen is..." etc.
Mixing British and American spelling. Choose one and stick with it. it doesn't matter which. Just be consistent. You can't mix-and-match.

And homophones. Especially those with apostrophes. "It's" and "its", "who's" and "whose", "they're" and "their" or "there", and so on. They're not hard. You only have to learn one very simple rule for them and that's it. I teach five year old children how to do this and they manage fine.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:47 AM »
Could/Would/Should of - it's HAVE!!! It's bad enough when spoken, but when written it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Text-speak online - or the new "I'm typing from a smsrtphone amd.Can't ve bothered.to go back amd fix mistakes"-speak. I can cope with it on facebook, but on message boards it grates on me.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Teenyweeny

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 04:02:32 AM »
Discreet/ discrete.

I see that one a lot.

"Mary's incontinent, but she's very discrete about it."

Really? She pees in quantized units?

I think you mean discreet = circumspect, unobstrusive.

Definitely not discrete = comes in individual units. For example, the number of people in your household is a discrete variable. You can't have 5.25 people in your house. If you do, then spelling is the least of your problems.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:41 AM »
I flinch at the one I see here: Diety. No. Deity. From deus.

Diety means 'like a diet' and I vote against it being a real word.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 04:07:01 AM »
I flinch at the one I see here: Diety. No. Deity. From deus.

Diety means 'like a diet' and I vote against it being a real word.

Haha, me too!

"I before E, except after C, and only when the sound is 'ee'." Too many people were not taught the bolded part of that rhyme!

poundcake

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 06:14:11 AM »
Using "myself" incorrectly. I see it a lot when people are trying to write more persuasively or sound formal. "My kids and myself were at a restaurant...." "The server asked my spouse and myself to...." No! "My kids and I," "my spouse and me"!

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/myself?page=all

I also despise another formal/persuasive writing tick: "being that." "Being that it was almost dinner time, my husband and myself went to a restaurant." No! "It was almost dinner time, so my husband and I went to a restaurant." "Being that" is meaningless and grammatically incorrect filler, and actually weakens your sentence.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 08:01:36 AM »
'So fun'.

What ever happened to 'much'? 

Also, 'on tenterhooks' doesn't sound that far-fetched to me.  When I was a child we had a stretcher that we'd set up in the back yard to dry curtains or sheets.  The fabric was held  in place by tenterhooks and it was very tight indeed.  The idea was to stretch the fabric so tight that no ironing was needed. 

scotcat60

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 08:10:23 AM »
 A charity shop near my home organises the books for sale by category. This is fine, but the shelves are labelled "Love storys" "Autobiographys".

This week, they had a "chest with draw" for sale in the window. It looked like a chest of drawers to me.

123sandy

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »
"Walla!" Drives me up the wall... ;)

"Off of" a recipe I got off of a website.

Should of, would of, could of.

Spellcheck changing my British spelling to US spelling. Grrrrrrr!

scotcat60

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 08:15:28 AM »
"Ryvita. For ladies that lunch"

It is for ladies who lunch.

Tneterhooks is not far fetched, they are hooks on a tenter frame, used for stretching woollen cloth after it is woven.