Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 66219 times)

Another Sarah

Re: Grammer and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2013, 11:14:27 AM »
All the above as well as the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'

You affect something and it has an effect.
Effect is only a verb when you effect a change, and that's because its a /complicated tense/ version of bringing something into effect.

Also people correcting the figurative use of 'literally'. Literally can be used figuratively, just like any other word. People objecting to that are taking the sentence too literally :P

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
Lightning versus lightening. Lightening is the act of making something brighter or paler. Lightning is zappy electricity from the sky. If somebody is "struck by lightening", I don't expect him to be hurt.   :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

dqduck

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2013, 11:30:23 AM »
When 'lay' is used instead of 'lie'. Eg: 'I'm going to go lay down.'

It's supposed to be 'lie down'.

It annoys me more when I see it on TV. Leonard even used it on the Big Bang Theory. You'd think that the characters being such pedantic nerds, would know the difference!

missanpan

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
"He/she/they did a complete 360."   :P

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2013, 11:37:48 AM »

It annoys me more when I see it on TV. Leonard even used it on the Big Bang Theory. You'd think that the characters being such pedantic nerds, would know the difference!

You lay down a new floor.  You lie down for a nap. 

I do not like the way my IPad 'corrects' my typing.  'Friends' automatically becomes  'Friend's' and
going back to fix it is a pain in the back of the lap. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2013, 11:53:45 AM »

Oh, yes. This is one that I've had to admit has passed beyond redemption. Even those who should know better, like newspapers, have gone with "lay" rather than "lie". Why, I'm not sure. It's no easier to spell or say, and the rule "lay takes an object, lie doesn't" is not a hard one to learn.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Pen^2

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
People who confuse "i.e." and "e.g."

They are not the same thing. "E.g." means "For example," and should (obviously) precede an example. "I.e." means "That is," and is used to clarify something by being more specific.

At my first job teaching at a highschool, the head English teacher came to me one day and very kindly and patiently explained that I used "i.e." more than "e.g." He seemed to think that I should alternate so they're each used half of the time, and suggested I replace a lot of the "i.e."s with "e.g."s. I had to explain that they don't mean the same thing, so one cannot simply be used to replace another to balance their frequencies. He didn't believe me  >:(

lowspark

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »
'He gave it to my husband and I' instead of 'my husband and me'

That one feels like people over-correcting the old grammar maven's favourite 'you and me are going to the cinema' where the 'me' as the subject should really be 'I'. Doesn't meant that all 'and mes' have to be replaced by 'and Is'.
I mean, you would never say 'he gave it to I', would you.

No, I'm calm, I'm a leaf on the wind. *deep breath*

"Between you and I" is the most common occurance of this particular error that I've come across but yeah, "I" seems to get put in place of "me" when it is the object of a verb or preposition constantly.

The misuse of "myself" has become extremely rampant of late. "Myself" is reflexive. Only I can do (anything) to myself. No one else can. So....
Please email Carol or myself if you have any questions. - wrong.
Ugh - I see that in emails almost daily!

There are so many of these errors and I don't know if they have become more common or if we just see them more because of all the written communication we now do on the internet.

lowspark

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »
I think part of the problem with "lay" & "lie" is the fact that "lay" is present tense for things, Please lay the pencil on the desk and past tense (of lie) for people, I lay down for a nap yesterday.

Here's a story of absolutely no importance about when I learned the correct grammar for lie/lay/lain/laid.
In eighth grade English, I needed to make 100 on the final in order to make an A in the class. Even a 99 wouldn't have done it so I had to make sure I didn't make a single mistake. And the only thing that was going to keep me from doing that was lie/lay/lain/laid which I just could not internalize. Well, I did it. I learned it and aced the final and got the A. And I haven't forgotten it since.

amylouky

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »
It's instead of its.

I feel a certain amount of sympathy for the makers of this mistake. Very largely, the possessive in English is formed by " 's" on the end of a noun (cicero's pen; the cat's whiskers); but the possessive of "it" is not "it's", but "its"; though there is a word "its" -- the contraction of "it is".  English can be a confusing, crazy and crazy-making language, full of pitfalls -- even for native English-speakers !

Okay, sorry.. I haven't had my coffee yet. The contraction of "it is" is "its"?
Dear me, have I been making people twitchy all these years?

No, the contraction for "it is" is it's.  I think the poster just forgot the apostrophe.

Ah, okay. Good, I thought I'd been doing it wrong all these years.
So, then, should cabbageweevil have empathy, not sympathy?  ;)

sunnygirl

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2013, 12:18:59 PM »
Photo's. "Post your photo's here!" "Do you want to see my photo's?" Why? Why this desire to randomly shove an apostrophe before any S in sight?

Discretely instead of discreetly - they mean entirely different things. If you don't know what the difference is, you almost certainly mean discreetly. But I do get a tiny little moment of pleasure when someone used discrete/discretely correctly because it's one of my favourite words, when it's not being mistaken for discreet. I was watching a rerun of Frasier with subtitles on the other day, and the subtitles actually wrote discretely for discreetly. It's a rerun so it's not like a live show where the subtitles have to be written at speed and mistakes are fairly common (and understandable).

Allyson

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »
"Voluptuous" does not have an "m" in it! For some reason I know a lot of people who want to say/spell it "volumptuous."

Also it makes me twitch really hard when someone announces they are pregnant but doesn't know how to spell it.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »

I wish all those people getting pregnate would stop breeding.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Paper Roses

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
Whenever anyone starts a sentence with "Me and" or "Him and" or "Her and"  "Me and my sister went to the store . . ." 

Just UGH!
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Hillia

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2013, 12:31:13 PM »
Everything listed above, and add...per se.  It's per se.  Not persay.  Makes me nuts.

I worked in dog rescue for many years.  You would think people would know that it's a German (or Australian :-) ) shepherd, not shepard.  Dogs are sometimes skittish, not skiddish.  The female has a litter of puppies, not puppys.  After they're weaned, she'll need to be spayed, not spade, before she can be adopted.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools