Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 65734 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Grammer and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2013, 09:46:23 PM »
The misuse of "myself" has become extremely rampant of late. "Myself" is reflexive. Only I can do (anything) to myself. No one else can. So....
Please email Carol or myself if you have any questions. - wrong.
Ugh - I see that in emails almost daily!
I think that one goes back to the I/me question.  Should I write "email Carol or I"?  Or should it be "Carol or me"?  Because neither of them look right now.  I know!  I'll write "Carol or myself" instead of either one.  ;D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2013, 09:49:16 PM »
Another one:

Expresso.

Really? ::)

(This reminds me of an amusing anecdote from sixth grade though. My teacher tried to insist that the x in supercalifragilisticexpialidocious was, in fact, an s. Even when confronted with proof, she refused to believe it was not an s...)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Paper Roses

« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2013, 10:34:21 PM »
I was going to ask if we were including pronunciations!  So since you brought it up . . .

"nuke-yoo-lar" . . . no.  You do not sound smarter or more important because you say it that way.  Quite the opposite, actually.

"calvary" when they mean "cavalry."  No, they are not interchangeable. 

"in lieu of" means "instead."  It is not a synonym for "in view of," even though it sounds similar.  You were not unable to get to work in lieu of the snowstorm, but you might have been unable to in view of it.

It is not chi-pol-tay. 

The s at the end of "Illinois" is silent.  And so is the one at the end of "debris." 
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

daen

« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2013, 10:41:23 PM »
Regarding the use of myself/yourself/himself...
I was taught a rule of thumb that you may use the *self pronoun if you've used another version of that pronoun in the same sentence. It ends up limiting the use of actions that pronoun has done to pronounself, or uses the self form as an intensifier.
"He did it himself."
"You yourself know that this is true."

The intensifier usually ends up sounding overly formal, like the writer/speaker is trying too hard to sound important.

How about the misuse of quotation marks? It's similar to apostrophe misuse.
I've seen this sign in a thrift store:
"More"
"Fixtures"
in
"The Back."
"Thank You."

I don't know whether or laugh or cry when I see it.

Paper Roses

« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2013, 10:47:18 PM »
YES!!  Whenever my MIL give anyone a greeting card, she always put on the inside the name of the person it was addressed to, and then the year, both in quotes.  Then she'd sign it putting "Love" and her name in quotes.  So it was like:

"Dave"              "1989"

Happy birthday, blah blah blah, dumb typcal card language, blah.

"Love"

"Ma"
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2013, 10:49:07 PM »
I flinch at the one I see here: Diety. No. Deity. From deus.

Diety means 'like a diet' and I vote against it being a real word.

Haha, me too!

"I before E, except after C, and only when the sound is 'ee'." Too many people were not taught the bolded part of that rhyme!

I learned it "..or when sounded as A as in neighbor and weigh".  I think because it rhymed, it was easier to remember.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »
"Conversating" on the corner and "axing" someone a question during it - people, using the wrong word does not make you sound SMARTER and more edumucated (yeah, they used that one, too) because you are using long words on the court show on TV). 

If anything, I was wishing Judge Judy would tell them to spend the money that they got from the "dependent" on grammar lessons from Kelsey Grammer.  Or someone who has a vocabulary larger than a third grader's.  (A TV game show reference got worked in - just for fun.)
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2013, 12:45:34 AM »
The one thing that sets my teeth on edge seems to be making a comeback.

Casted rather than cast.  I was raised that you cast a play, a fishing line, or a spell.  Recently though I have seen the word casted used in sentences pertaining to doing those things and read articles talking about how casted is becoming popular again.  It still makes me cringe.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2013, 04:40:26 AM »
I think that people use "please ask Jane or myself" instead of "please ask Jane or me" because they think that the addition of -self softens the request.

You'll often see the use of the "Jane or myself" phrasing in emails that are unnecessesarily wordy, and I think it's because people fear being perceived as terse, because tone is so easy to misjudge in an email.

Another Sarah

« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2013, 05:39:31 AM »
Just thought of two more
Unless you are a transformer, it's our car not are car.

and so many people these days are replacing comic (as in funny) with comedic (as in of the nature or pertaining to humour, most commonly used as a theatrical term)
When you see a film, sometimes it may have elements pertaining to comedy, but usually it just has funny bits.

perpetua

« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2013, 05:41:37 AM »
"Then" instead of "than" - they're completely different words and I really don't understand how people mix them up. As in, "my house is bigger then your house". Then your house what?

Teenyweeny

« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2013, 05:58:34 AM »
Something that I've seen on Facebook:

Where I grew up, a lot of people pronounce the pronoun 'I', as 'A' (as in apple). Fine, that's an accent thing.

I CANNOT deal with people actually writing it that way! It's not any fewer letters (how could it be?), and it makes you look illiterate!

crella

« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2013, 06:29:07 AM »
I love this thread! All my 'favorites' are here  :D 'definately', 'wallah', 'per say'.

One I have been seeing a lot of lately is 'bare' instead of 'bear', as in 'bare with me'. No, thank you, I'll pass!

123sandy

« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »
Let's not forget good old there, their and they're!

I like to watch Judge Judy and so many people mix up borrow and lend I actually began to wonder if I was wrong. (She/he borrowed me $500)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2013, 06:50:20 AM »
YES!!  Whenever my MIL give anyone a greeting card, she always put on the inside the name of the person it was addressed to, and then the year, both in quotes.  Then she'd sign it putting "Love" and her name in quotes.  So it was like:

"Dave"              "1989"

Happy birthday, blah blah blah, dumb typcal card language, blah.

"Love"

"Ma"

Quotation-marks-round everything, as here and in daen's example: I seem generally to be getting into a role of defending bad practices -- but I can see where the misusers are coming from, here.  Especially when they're among the less adept of writers of the language.

Lynne Truss in "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" (in which she's usually merciless toward any incorrect punctuation) seems to feel the same way, and cuts "quotes-round-everything" folk a little bit of slack, while emphasising that this habit of theirs is incorrect.   She cites the small boy who was taken to task for quotation-marking all his written composition work, regardless of whether it was reporting any speech.  When asked why, the lad rather disarmingly replied: "Because it's all me talking".