Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 21345 times)

Another Sarah

Re: Grammer and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »
past/passed

mharbourgirl

• I am what I am, not what everyone wishes me to be
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »
Oh yes. Also, "Where's it to?" *is* proper English in that part of the world and shall be respected as such  ;D. My south east friends look at me askance for using it but it's so much a part of my vernacular that I can't shake it. And neither do I want to :)

It's also proper 'English' if you're from the Lunenburg region of Nova Scotia, or from Newfoundland -  'Hey dude, where ya to?'.  Meaning 'Where are you/where did you get yourself to?'.  I just about swallowed my gum the first time a friend hollered that at her kid who had gotten himself out of her line of sight.  Moving to the Maritimes exposed me to a wide variety of dialects and vernacular I'd never imagined existed.  It's been fun, though. :)

amylouky

« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2013, 12:23:37 PM »
Careful, you don't want our copy-editors to expire in convulsions! :D

The one I got when my first manuscript was published must have been stuck in Extremely Formal mode.  S/He tried to change all the character dialog to proper English. If a character says, "Me and him did thus-and-such," it's because the character didn't know any better, not because *I* don't!   It really stuck out with the few bits that were in dialect. (I don't do a lot of dialect, since I feel that too much makes it hard to read.)

Me: "Well, it's still jes' her word, bein' that he's dead an' cain't speak for hisself."
Copy-editor: "Well, it's only her word, since he's dead and cannot speak for himself."

Wow.. that's just, awful. Hopefully that was a new copy editor.

I can't help but think how different some books would have been had they been edited that way. Gone with the Wind?   "Young ladies that overindulge at mealtime are not generally considered good marriage prospects" just doesn't have the same ring as "Young misses whut eats heavy mosí generíly doan never ketch husbands".   ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »

The one I got when my first manuscript was published must have been stuck in Extremely Formal mode.  S/He tried to change all the character dialog to proper English. If a character says, "Me and him did thus-and-such," it's because the character didn't know any better, not because *I* don't!   It really stuck out with the few bits that were in dialect. (I don't do a lot of dialect, since I feel that too much makes it hard to read.)

Me: "Well, it's still jes' her word, bein' that he's dead an' cain't speak for hisself."
Copy-editor: "Well, it's only her word, since he's dead and cannot speak for himself."

I can't help but think how different some books would have been had they been edited that way. Gone with the Wind?   "Young ladies that overindulge at mealtime are not generally considered good marriage prospects" just doesn't have the same ring as "Young misses whut eats heavy mos’ gener’ly doan never ketch husbands".   ;D

Or think of whole stretches of passages where Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and "Jim" (or the King & the Duke) are talking in Mark Twain's books....he started the whole thing of writing in dialect - literature would have developed in a whole different way if he hadn't insisted in keeping the spelling & word choice consistent with his character's "voices".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
There's a haircut business in town called "Just Cuts and More."

Well, which is it?  Do you just do haircuts, or is there more?  :P
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »
There's a haircut business in town called "Just Cuts and More."

Well, which is it?  Do you just do haircuts, or is there more?  :P
No, no, no!  JUST cuts.  As opposed to unjust cuts, of course. 

"The rain it falls upon the just
And on the unjust fellow
But more upon the just, because
The unjust stole the just's umbrella."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #171 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
I remember the spelling of "fuchsia" by remembering that the three consonants in the middle are in alphabetical order.

I dislike the use of "feel" to mean think, believe, or consider. My personal rule is that if you need more than one word to describe it, it's not a feeling.

Wrong: I feel the movie will be a hit.
Right: I think the movie will be a hit. Or: I feel confident (there's your one word) that the movie will be a hit.

I am a professional copy editor. I edit the work of professional writers. It is amazing how often they use the above. Not to mention "free reign." And "like" instead of "as," "as if" or "such as."

"The museum has works by famous artists like Rembrandt and Cezanne." If you mean the actual artists, and not some posers whose work is similar to Rembrandt's and Cezanne's, you need to say "such as," not "like."

I'll give them a pass if they're quoting Prince, though. I won't change "Party like it's 1999" to "Party as if it were 1999."  ;)

I've been noticing this at work a lot lately, and it makes me cringe. What's worse is we mainly deal with numbers. Don't tell me, "I feel like it should be..." It's math! It doesn't care how you feel! Grrrrr!

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »

Copy-editor: "Well, it's only her word, since he's dead and cannot speak for himself

I can't help but think how different some books would have been had they been edited that way. Gone with the Wind?   "Young ladies that overindulge at mealtime are not generally considered good marriage prospects" just doesn't have the same ring as "Young misses whut eats heavy mosí generíly doan never ketch husbands".   ;D

I would hate (or love) to see what would happen if that editor had to deal with Artemus Ward. 

EmmaJ.

« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2013, 09:23:18 PM »
My top three twitch-inducing errors:

1. Per say (should be per se)
2. Put through the ringer (should be put through the wringer)
3. Free reign (should be free rein)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2013, 09:40:04 PM »
I don't get too bent out of shape about "per say."

The original phrase is Latin, and few people read it anywhere. They hear it.

And "per"  meaning "according to" fits with "say" in the meaning of "per se."

The true meaning of "per se" is "by, of, or in itself."

But let's look at a sentence:
This candidate is not a pacifist per se, but he is in favor of peaceful solutions when practicable.

Substitute "according to how that is normally said" in there:

"this candidate is not a pacifist according to how that term is normally said, but he is..."

pandabear

« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »

Heh. Meanie. :)

I think the reason it irks me is that I don't understand why someone would type six characters for 'cause when adding the seventh makes the full word because.   <shrug>  To each his own.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2013, 12:22:16 AM »
A friend of mine just sent a screen cap of a message where someone used thoughs for those. *twitch twitch *

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2013, 12:30:57 AM »
Throws for throes.

If you're in the throws of ecstacy, I don't think that's quite healthy. :o
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

ti_ax

« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2013, 07:29:23 AM »
Strikes a cord with me ... you mean a chord.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »
Yes! And people have vocal cords, not chords.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady