Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 52625 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »
I live in England and hear this all the time. "I lent a pen from Paul". No you borrowed a pen, Paul lent you a pen. Arrgghh! Or people seem to think its proper to say "I". As in,"I and Nick were there."If you would say me singular, then it is still me plural. And the misuse of then/than. I'd rather eat peas than sleep in a ditch, verses I'd rather eat peas then sleep in a ditch!

Per the bolded: I heard something similar when I lived in the south (USA). It was common to hear people say, "Can you borrow me....." Drove me batty!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
I haven't seen this one mentioned yet. E-hellions, do you own a bedroom suite or a bedroom suit? Likewise, do you have a suite of furniture in your living room, or just a plain ol' suit of furniture.

Drove me nuts when I moved to this area (west-central Ohio) and kept hearing all of the commercials from furniture stores advertising bedroom "suits". And living room suits. Not the correct pronunciation, which is like "sweet". I keep wanting to go to the stores and ask them why I need to have a special set of clothes (a suit) made for my bedroom.

I grew up in MI, and that was pretty common. Maybe it's a midwestern thing? (FTR, I don't use that)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #242 on: September 26, 2013, 04:00:50 PM »
So, apparently there was a meteor or something that buzzed over our city this morning. The local news station posted on Facebook, asking who had noticed it.
It's a sad commentary on my city that a good 40 percent of the comments included the words, "I seen.."

That's hilarious! Not surprising, though.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #243 on: September 26, 2013, 05:27:05 PM »
I live in England and hear this all the time. "I lent a pen from Paul". No you borrowed a pen, Paul lent you a pen. Arrgghh! Or people seem to think its proper to say "I". As in,"I and Nick were there."If you would say me singular, then it is still me plural. And the misuse of then/than. I'd rather eat peas than sleep in a ditch, verses I'd rather eat peas then sleep in a ditch!

Per the bolded: I heard something similar when I lived in the south (USA). It was common to hear people say, "Can you borrow me....." Drove me batty!

I've heard "Can you learn me?" for "can you teach me?" in some parts of the South.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #244 on: September 26, 2013, 08:08:35 PM »
Threw or thru for through...I begrudgingly give a pass  for drive thru.

Yes. I will also give a pass to EZ Bake Oven or the EZ Pass lanes for the turnpike, this is what they decided to name those things.

I mean, it's not that hard to write it out. It's literally easy!

I did see a funny last night I had to share, though. And I figured this was a decent board to do it, seeing as how we're discussing language and pronunciation.

How can you tell the difference between a plumber and a chemist? Ask him to pronounce "unionized".

Here's one that is sort of related.

How do you pronounce the following word.

POLISH

(Is it "polish" or "polish"?  No way to tell - according to Isaac Asimov.)
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #245 on: September 26, 2013, 11:48:52 PM »

I've heard "Can you learn me?" for "can you teach me?" in some parts of the South.

I heard those, too. I had been an English major, so you can imagine what that did to me!

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »
Someone telling me to "itch" my bug bites drives me crazy. I'm scratching, not itching them.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2013, 02:10:35 AM »

POLISH

If it's Polish and therefore related to the country, it should be capitalised and pronounced Poe-lish  (Rhyming with Edgar Allen's surname).  "Kabanos is a Polish sausage."

If it's polish and means putting a shine on something, then uncapitalised and pronounced poll-ish, with the 'o' sound the very short one you get in the name Polly. "Polish your shoes! They're dirty."

I don't really see Azimov's problem.  Scratches head...

(ETA :  We British seldom shine our shoes, btw. We polish, not Polish, them.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:13:48 AM by starry diadem »
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2013, 03:26:33 AM »

POLISH

If it's Polish and therefore related to the country, it should be capitalised and pronounced Poe-lish  (Rhyming with Edgar Allen's surname).  "Kabanos is a Polish sausage."

If it's polish and means putting a shine on something, then uncapitalised and pronounced poll-ish, with the 'o' sound the very short one you get in the name Polly. "Polish your shoes! They're dirty."

I b'lieve Asimov's point was that when it's in all-caps like that, with no context or capitalisation clues, you can't tell whether it's shoeshine or Slavic people. :)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Teenyweeny

« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2013, 04:04:11 AM »

POLISH

I b'lieve Asimov's point was that when it's in all-caps like that, with no context or capitalisation clues, you can't tell whether it's shoeshine or Slavic people. :)

Yeah, like this word:

READ

Is that pronounced 'reed' or 'red'? The pronounciation depends entirely upon the tense. Out of context, there's no way to know how you should pronounce it.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #250 on: September 27, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »
My father had a joke: that he knew a word which could be spoken, but was impossible to write.  "The farmer sows the corn; his wife sews his shirt.  They both [pronounced, 'so']".

Pen^2

« Reply #251 on: September 27, 2013, 07:46:16 AM »
I love heterographs :)

The bandage was wound around the wound.
The farm was used to produce produce.
A bass fish was painted on a bass drum.
I did not object to the object.
The farmer taught his talented sow to sow.
After a number of injections my jaw got number.
They were too close to close the door.
Does he see the does?
The dove dove into the tree.

etc.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #252 on: September 27, 2013, 09:25:23 AM »
I love heterographs :)

The bandage was wound around the wound.
The farm was used to produce produce.
A bass fish was painted on a bass drum.
I did not object to the object.
The farmer taught his talented sow to sow.
After a number of injections my jaw got number.
They were too close to close the door.
Does he see the does?
The dove dove into the tree.

etc.

I feel that you'd enjoy cryptic crosswords -- which if I have things rightly, are basically a British thing -- crosswords in North America revolve around essentially "factual" q & a.  Cryptic crosswords rely heavily on heterographs, for their clues.

(In the UK, your last example wouldn't work -- over here, it would have "dived" into the tree.)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #253 on: September 27, 2013, 09:46:11 AM »
Yeah, like this word:

READ

Is that pronounced 'reed' or 'red'? The pronounciation depends entirely upon the tense. Out of context, there's no way to know how you should pronounce it.

Another one:

TEAR

Is it a drop of water from the eye, or an action pulling things apart?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

squeakers

« Reply #254 on: September 27, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »
I've made a spelling mistake in something I've posted to Facebook - and I can't edit it. It hurts every time I see it.

Facebook is going to be rolling out the ability to edit statuses.  In order to keep people from posting "I love kitties!" and then, after garnering tons of "likes", editing it to say "I kick puppies" the status will show "has been edited" and people can click to see the previous tpyos.

Which is great because there's nothing like posting, enjoying the "likes" and chatting with friends only to notice hours later a glaring typo, missing capitalization or even missing words.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin