Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 57775 times)

holly firestorm

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #600 on: July 05, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
I am resurrecting this thread to complain about a writing trend I'm seeing more and more frequently. For lack of a better term, I call it Unnecessary Possession. Here are a couple of examples:

"Yesterday, I had a man cut in line in front of me at the grocery store."
"At work this morning, we had a client come in and immediately start yelling at the receptionist."

It bugs me every time I see it. What's the matter with:

"Yesterday at the grocery store, a man cut in line in front of me."
"At work this morning, a client came in and immediately started yelling at the receptionist."

Interesting observation! I think I'm guilty of that! I'm going to start paying attention to what I say in order to avoid it.

I'm definitely guilty of this! Mostly because I really dislike interposed sentences when they can be avoided, and would rather use unnecessary possession (love it!) instead.

Of course "Yesterday a man cut in front of me at the grocery store" would be even better than both those examples :)
I know I do stuff like that when I'm speaking, but try to avoid it when writing.

My all time 'favorite' is still, "I had went."

There's also a new one, which I've seen used repeatedly on TV by educated intelligent people. Say a PhD is on a talk show to promote a new book about a theory she has. The host asks, "What is the book about?" and the author always starts the sentence with,"...so." To me the word "so" is the way to continue a topic, not begin one.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #601 on: July 07, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »
One of my coworkers contributes to our company's newsletter that is seen by both employees and buyers. Last week his article was titled, "Tuting My Own Horn."

Now, the entry was on tutoring--so maybe he thought it was some kind of pun? (Then why wouldn't you make it "Tutoring My Own Horn" to make it clearer?) It looks like a terrible spelling mistake to me.

Did I mention we work for a major publisher.  :-[ I'm embarrassed that other people are seeing this, and I had nothing to do with it.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #602 on: July 08, 2014, 11:44:50 AM »
I had a magazine hand delivered to my office yesterday, it's basically a magazine filled with pretty full color ads.  A couple of short, fluffy articles and some wedding announcements.

Filled with typos!  One sentence just didn't sound right...taking care of customer's base needs (well that just sounds naughty). One of the old, local family names is misspelled in a headline, a couple fell in live while working together, Mr Warren joint the military, they wedding took place, another misspelled name in the body of the article about said person, spectacular ball event for local charity has charity name butchered (Sky High instead of High Sky), etc.  It's horrible.

I'm not even halfway through the magazine, obviously they only relied on spell check and did not actually proof this.   

It also opens with a letter about SHOPPING LOCAL, then in the next column you find out the mag is published in another city by a couple of ladies that actually live in other town (over 200 miles away). 

I sent an email asking them to please proofread future issues.  These are not minor infractions IMO, this is just laziness.

If they call me about placing an ad I will decline and state why.   

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #603 on: July 08, 2014, 01:39:11 PM »
When writing about male anatomy, it's prostate, people.  There is no 'r' in there.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #604 on: July 08, 2014, 02:07:58 PM »
When writing about male anatomy, it's prostate, people.  There is no 'r' in there.

This!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #605 on: July 08, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »

This!

Yes if you have prostrate trouble I picture you having problems laying flat, lying flat, lying down, being prone - you know one of those

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #606 on: July 08, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
Well, he might end up prostrate, depending on what's been done to his prostate.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #607 on: July 08, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
Ugh, that one drives me nuts too! (Although I admit to being amused the one time someone accidentally typed prostate as phosphate...)

"Crukid" for crooked. I used to know someone who did that regularly and would not be corrected, throwing tantrums that they were absolutely correct and anyone who corrected them needed to go back to school.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #608 on: July 08, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
My dad used to complain about what he called the "First Person Conditional" tense:

"We'd like to welcome you to the Atlanta airport."

(He said he always half-expected them to go on: "Unfortunately, we seem to have landed in Chicago.")

More of a misplaced modifier issue than a conditional, but when a server says, "If you need anything, my name is Judy," I'm tempted to finish the thought with "And if you don't, my name is Kathy."

Same thing with broadcast news reporters: "In Albany, I'm Mary Jones." ("And in Schenectady, I go by Lucy Smith.")

I'm an unemployed copy editor, and all these posts about egregious errors showing up in print are making me crazy. I need a job, people! I can clean up that mess!
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Nikko-chan

« Reply #609 on: July 09, 2014, 01:17:59 AM »
Ugh, that one drives me nuts too! (Although I admit to being amused the one time someone accidentally typed prostate as phosphate...)

"Crukid" for crooked. I used to know someone who did that regularly and would not be corrected, throwing tantrums that they were absolutely correct and anyone who corrected them needed to go back to school.

what? Just what? Is that a thing now? Ugh I feel old.

Xandraea

« Reply #610 on: July 09, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
One of my DD's friends has taken to using "16" to replace "is" wherever it appears in texts. I asked DD why friend does this, and she doesn't know, but friend claims she won't do it in important writing.

"How 16 Engl16h class? 16 your teacher nice? Th16 song is the best. It 16 fun to dance to."

16 = is      << (this appeared at the bottom of the first several such texts. If your texts need a translation code, maybe you're doing it wrong?)

scotcat60

« Reply #611 on: July 09, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
Slightly OT.

I was buying apples from a fruit stall and the young man was serving me with one hand and texting with the other. He said to me "How do you spell Chew?" and mimed chewing on an orange from the stall. I spelled C_H_E_W and he tapped it into his phone and took the 1  he was charging for the scoop of apples.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #612 on: July 09, 2014, 04:44:01 PM »

what? Just what? Is that a thing now? Ugh I feel old.

I've seen it more than once, unfortunately. :(
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Frog24

« Reply #613 on: July 15, 2014, 02:40:13 PM »
My wordy friends..... Weird Al has finally written a song for us:

http://www.vevo.com/watch/weird-al-yankovic/word-crimes/USRV81400343  "Word Crimes".

We even watched it at work and had a laugh.... until he said it was okay if we got rid of the Oxford comma.  ;)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:36:06 PM by Frog24 »

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #614 on: July 15, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
I'm buying that album as soon as I get home.