Author Topic: Had to use a sort of ehell phrase today at work. UPDATE 7  (Read 3231 times)

Nikko-chan

Had to use a sort of ehell phrase today at work. UPDATE 7
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:58:40 PM »
So I work in a call center. People can sometimes be... nasty, to put it mildly. I used a bit of my ehell training today.

So I had a customer who was a bit upset, crap happened, appts were missed (not our fault) and generally bad stuff had happened up to this point. Okay, I can handle this. He says however that there is someone that can actually install the stuff (one of our people). I go to supervisor, get information, and give him a special number to give to the person there. He doesn't want to do it. Doesn't want to walk outside and give them the number. he also doesn't want to wait til his scheduled day (tomorrow) to get stuff installed. At this point, nothing much I can do, if he doesn't want to get our guy that is in the neighborhood, and doesn't want to wait. He wants me to give our guy the info. I am unable to do that. Physically impossible.

And then he blew up at me... and basically told me to off myself :/

I responded with "I'm sorry you feel that way."

Any other phrases I can use when customers blow up at me? Not just for this situation but for others, so I can remain professional and polite?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:55:43 PM by Nikko-chan »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Had to use a sort of ehell phrase today at work.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:35:38 AM »
That depends entirely on whether management will back you up.  Some places are fine with you telling abusive customers "I'm going to terminate this call now," while others demand you just listen to verbal abuse without replying.  Some managers will do the verbal abusing on your behalf if you want them to :P while others won't even let you pass troublesome customers up the chain.

In the absence of an official policy, I'd err on the side of "too polite."  Phrases like "That sounds terrible!" or "I'm sorry that happened to you" or "I do apologize for that; let's see what I can do" can go a long way toward preventing some customers from blowing up at you in the first place, assuming you can say them without sounding patronizing.  Of course, other customers will swear at you no matter what, but those are the ones who are coming in with a chip on their shoulder already and their frustration has nothing to do with you.

cwm

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:41:53 AM »
I agree with Slartibartfast, it really depends on the company. I've worked for companies where we had to basically take everything that was given to us, I've worked for companies where we have to transfer the call to a manager, and I've worked for companies where we can end the call.

Check with your managers. Ask them what you are able to do in a situation like that. I hope it doesn't happen too often, but I also know that some people can get really nasty when they're not getting their way. The most important thing to remember is to stay polite at all times. Some people have a hard time keeping up the rudeness when all they're getting is politeness.

Good luck!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:27:56 PM »
I suppose you could say, "If there's nothing more that I can *actually* do to help you, I'll be hanging up now."

If the boss allows.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 04:21:21 PM »
Nikko, are the calls at your call center recorded?  Sometimes all you have to do is tell them "Sir, I need to remind you that this call is being recorded."  POD to those who've suggested to check on the policy of dealing with abusive callers.  Some places will allow you to disconnect the call once profanity is used.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »
The calls are recorded, buuut we have to take everything that comes our way. We can't say anything so... yeah. I get paid to get cussed out. Great. *sigh* I might be quitting my job.

poundcake

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 07:01:37 AM »
It's also difficult because certain phrases can be used as "proof" of an admission of responsibility in liturgical contexts. I used to use phrases like "I'm doing everything in my power to help you," and "I understand why you feel that way." 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 03:55:12 PM »
It doesn't matter anyway. I resigned today. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »
It's also difficult because certain phrases can be used as "proof" of an admission of responsibility in liturgical contexts.

Like "Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa"?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »
It doesn't matter anyway. I resigned today. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I hope your next job is awesome and you love it, sounds like you deserve a break!!  :)