Etiquette School is in session! > "So kind of you to take an interest."

Exercise & Pregnancy

(1/12) > >>

TeraNova15:
BG: This past week I made it publically known that I am expecting! I am almost 14 weeks in and have been feeling about as "normal" as you can imagine. I've had no symptoms other than a little tiredness and all the tests and markers and whatnot have indicated things are going along swimmingly. I also have, for many years, taken some pretty rigourous exercise classes at my gym, which is part of my workplace. My typical week consists, Mon-Fri of Cycling, BootCamp, Zumba, Crossfit, Yoga, and then I will usually do some light ellitpical work on Sat.  When I got pregnant I sat with my doctor and, while she gave me some restictions regarding weight lifting and abdomen compressing movements after 12 weeks, was told that I can continue doing whatever intensity I feel comfortable with and just to watch for any signs I need to stop. The heath professionals at my gym are also amazing and let me borrow a heart rate monitor for classes to make sure I'm not over exerting. I have also talked to a long time friend who is a personal trainer, and has worked with pregnant women before, and gotten some tips from her as well. All of them have commended my efforts to stay as fit and active as possible.

So today at the gym the word is apparently spreading and I've gotten several congratulations. One lady, however pulls me aside (you can probably guess where this is going).  She expressed her "concern" that I was taking BootCamp today, and that pregnant women "need their rest" and I would going to"stress the baby" and that I shouldn't "take [my] blessing for granted just because [I am] feeling well" and that I "should just take the opportunity to get fat."  As she talked I could just feel my head tilting to the side in disbelief. I barely know this woman, I couldn't even tell you her last name! Part of me just wanted to say "Who the bleeping bleep do you think you are!?" Instead I just let her talk, righted my head, said "Thank you for you opinion" and walked away.

Thank you E-Hell, for giving me the tools to deal with this.

cwm:
First of all, congrats for the forthcoming new addition!

Secondly, congrats for the shiny polite spine!

I've never had a kid, and even I know there will always be people trying to tell you waht to do. Keep this phrase on standby, chances are good you'll need it quite a bit before the little one actually gets here.

TurtleDove:
You handled that well.  Congratulations on your pregnancy!  So many people have no idea what they are talking about.  My doctor approved my vigorous exercise while pregnant and actually said it contributed to an easy delivery. 

menley:
Oh wow! I can't imagine what would make her say it in that way.

I do wonder though - obviously this was not the right approach, as the woman barely knows you and said a whole host of judgmental things. But I have to admit that I've had friends who have done "bootcamp" classes and they're always talking about how strenuous it is and how they're "CRUD MONKEYS! totally destroyed" after each class. If a friend told me she was pregnant and then mentioned that she was continuing to take those classes, I might be concerned for her and ask her if she'd checked with her doctor. Is that totally rude of me?

TurtleDove:

--- Quote from: menley on September 17, 2013, 02:32:24 PM ---Oh wow! I can't imagine what would make her say it in that way.

I do wonder though - obviously this was not the right approach, as the woman barely knows you and said a whole host of judgmental things. But I have to admit that I've had friends who have done "bootcamp" classes and they're always talking about how strenuous it is and how they're "CRUD MONKEYS! totally destroyed" after each class. If a friend told me she was pregnant and then mentioned that she was continuing to take those classes, I might be concerned for her and ask her if she'd checked with her doctor. Is that totally rude of me?

--- End quote ---

In my opinion, yes, it is.  If your friend had been sedentary and suddenly decided to start taking bootcamp classes, you might have reason to be concerned.  But otherwise, absolutely rude.  Being pregnant does not equal being sick or somehow disabled. If you had said this to me I would have laughed and told you you didn't know what you were talking about.  Assuming your friend is receiving prenatal care, her doctor is aware of her activity levels and it is rude and very misinformed to insinuate she is doing something wrong by continuing her exercise program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version