Author Topic: Exercise & Pregnancy  (Read 9094 times)

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
Exercise & Pregnancy
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »
BG: This past week I made it publically known that I am expecting! I am almost 14 weeks in and have been feeling about as "normal" as you can imagine. I've had no symptoms other than a little tiredness and all the tests and markers and whatnot have indicated things are going along swimmingly. I also have, for many years, taken some pretty rigourous exercise classes at my gym, which is part of my workplace. My typical week consists, Mon-Fri of Cycling, BootCamp, Zumba, Crossfit, Yoga, and then I will usually do some light ellitpical work on Sat.  When I got pregnant I sat with my doctor and, while she gave me some restictions regarding weight lifting and abdomen compressing movements after 12 weeks, was told that I can continue doing whatever intensity I feel comfortable with and just to watch for any signs I need to stop. The heath professionals at my gym are also amazing and let me borrow a heart rate monitor for classes to make sure I'm not over exerting. I have also talked to a long time friend who is a personal trainer, and has worked with pregnant women before, and gotten some tips from her as well. All of them have commended my efforts to stay as fit and active as possible.

So today at the gym the word is apparently spreading and I've gotten several congratulations. One lady, however pulls me aside (you can probably guess where this is going).  She expressed her "concern" that I was taking BootCamp today, and that pregnant women "need their rest" and I would going to"stress the baby" and that I shouldn't "take [my] blessing for granted just because [I am] feeling well" and that I "should just take the opportunity to get fat."  As she talked I could just feel my head tilting to the side in disbelief. I barely know this woman, I couldn't even tell you her last name! Part of me just wanted to say "Who the bleeping bleep do you think you are!?" Instead I just let her talk, righted my head, said "Thank you for you opinion" and walked away.

Thank you E-Hell, for giving me the tools to deal with this.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:28:04 PM by TeraNova15 »

cwm

Re: Exercise & Pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:25:34 PM »
First of all, congrats for the forthcoming new addition!

Secondly, congrats for the shiny polite spine!

I've never had a kid, and even I know there will always be people trying to tell you waht to do. Keep this phrase on standby, chances are good you'll need it quite a bit before the little one actually gets here.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »
You handled that well.  Congratulations on your pregnancy!  So many people have no idea what they are talking about.  My doctor approved my vigorous exercise while pregnant and actually said it contributed to an easy delivery. 

menley

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
Oh wow! I can't imagine what would make her say it in that way.

I do wonder though - obviously this was not the right approach, as the woman barely knows you and said a whole host of judgmental things. But I have to admit that I've had friends who have done "bootcamp" classes and they're always talking about how strenuous it is and how they're "CRUD MONKEYS! totally destroyed" after each class. If a friend told me she was pregnant and then mentioned that she was continuing to take those classes, I might be concerned for her and ask her if she'd checked with her doctor. Is that totally rude of me?

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 02:36:48 PM »

I do wonder though - obviously this was not the right approach, as the woman barely knows you and said a whole host of judgmental things. But I have to admit that I've had friends who have done "bootcamp" classes and they're always talking about how strenuous it is and how they're "CRUD MONKEYS! totally destroyed" after each class. If a friend told me she was pregnant and then mentioned that she was continuing to take those classes, I might be concerned for her and ask her if she'd checked with her doctor. Is that totally rude of me?

In my opinion, yes, it is.  If your friend had been sedentary and suddenly decided to start taking bootcamp classes, you might have reason to be concerned.  But otherwise, absolutely rude.  Being pregnant does not equal being sick or somehow disabled. If you had said this to me I would have laughed and told you you didn't know what you were talking about.  Assuming your friend is receiving prenatal care, her doctor is aware of her activity levels and it is rude and very misinformed to insinuate she is doing something wrong by continuing her exercise program.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »
Why does the public think it is okay to question and/or comment on pregnant women?

I played tennis until I was about 7 months pregnant and golf until two weeks before DD#2 was born.  I also swam almost every day while pregnant with DD#1 (although I actually hate water activities) because it was so blooming hot.

EVERYONE had some comment to make and I mean everyone - the new neighbors, the postman, the UPS driver, my mom, his mom, our dads, sisters, brothers and at least every other cousin. 

"My doctor has approved this exercise for me at this time" was my best answer.

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »

I think is a perfectly legit question for one *close* friend to ask another out of concern, and I had a much closer friend male and does Crossfit express surprise that I was able to continue. But the question was asked politely. I'm personally finding with these classes that the trick is to stay within my comfort zone, rather than try to push past my comfort zone like I would have pre-pregnancy. I'm trying to maintain fitness rather than improve it, if that makes sense?

But yes, her presentation (and bizzare lecture?) was way over the top. She's an older lady, and I'm in an odd situation at work becaue my parents worked at the same office for many years. She is a woman I know I met as a child but I don't personally know her that well outside of the occasional hello at the gym. I know people sometimes have their own hangups about pregancy based on their own experiances, so maybe there's a story there I don't know. But still, what the heck?

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
I will say that my first pregnancy where I was fit and spry and lifting weights until into the third trimester and swimming the morning of the day I went into labour was much easier than my second where I was less fit when I started and barely walking near the end.

So I applaud your efforts. Your body is used to this exercise so keeping it up is great (as long as your doctor is on board and you listen to your body- I have read an interesting theory that our body can only operate at 2/2.5 times the base metabolic rate and that the third trimester gets close). Personally, I found in my first that I could keep my energy and fitness up as long as I got waaay more sleep than I needed when not pregnant.

That woman is so out of line, she has lost sight of it. Good response.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
I certainly understand the impulse for people to comment on, (or want to touch) pregnant women and their bellies - it is a very primal thing, going back to the perpetuation of the species/tribe.

However, like many other impulses that bubble up from our mammal brains, this is one that should be strictly curbed.
                www.ellenseltz.com

BeagleMommy

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:52:10 PM »
This woman was very rude.  I'm guessing, since you mention she was an older lady, that she was going by the advice given in her generation that pregnant women had to be "confined" and do little to nothing.  Times have certainly changed.

I had the opposite reaction from a complete stranger.  Since I had never exercised prior to becoming pregnant and was considered high risk I was told not to exercise beyond walking or light swimming.  I was discussing my pregnancy with a coworker in the restroom when this complete stranger ran up and said:

"Have you gotten Famous Celebrity Pregnancy Workout video?"
Me:  No
Her:  Well, you NEED to or you'll NEVER lose the weight you're going to gain!

My response was not ehell approved.  I said "As if it were any of your business, but I'm a high risk pregnancy and I was told NOT to start an exercise regiment.  Happy, now?!".

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »

In my opinion, yes, it is.  If your friend had been sedentary and suddenly decided to start taking bootcamp classes, you might have reason to be concerned.  But otherwise, absolutely rude.  Being pregnant does not equal being sick or somehow disabled. If you had said this to me I would have laughed and told you you didn't know what you were talking about.  Assuming your friend is receiving prenatal care, her doctor is aware of her activity levels and it is rude and very misinformed to insinuate she is doing something wrong by continuing her exercise program.

I agree. Besides being rude, it's pretty patronizing.  I'm an adult, and perfectly capable of taking care of my own health. With my first pregnancy, though I was twenty-six, I looked sixteen and I guess my youthful appearance made strangers think I needed their input on my pregnancy, or their concern over my relationship with a man so much older than me.   ::)  DH is in fact younger than I am.  ::)  People really need to learn to mind their own business.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

lilfox

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »
I've had kind of the opposite problem from both OP and BeagleMommy - normally I am fairly active (no really consistent exercise pattern but I do things like jog, wakeboard, ski, etc).  But I have a jackrabbit heart, which means even when I'm in good cardiovascular shape, my HR is in the 180+ range during a typical jog.

So after some evaluations, I was strongly advised by my doctor to keep my HR below 160, which limits me to ... fast walking and slow swimming, pretty much. It's already frustrating to me since it took me a long time to get back into shape after I had DD.  And then I get comments about how I "should" keep up jogging, that it's okay for pregnant women to do so.  Yeah, I know, I have friends who were still doing 10k's til 7 or 8 months along (and that includes my doctor!).  But that level of exercise is not healthy for ME.

OP, you handled it well - about the only thing you can do in that situation, especially with a stranger, is not engage at all.

Jones

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 08:29:04 PM »
My coworker has a friend who is a female body builder. Bodybuilder just finished her first trimester, and due to a pre-scheduled competition, participated in said competition while a few weeks pregnant. Different people start out in different levels of fitness, it's really no one's business (aside from the mother, the father and the doctor) as to what a pregnant woman physically does while pregnant.

I, myself, during my second pregnancy, was irritated by coworkers who didn't allow me to carry my own computer around the office even though I was still capable of tossing hay bales on my weekends. I wasn't even "huge" yet...

Bluenomi

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 08:41:29 PM »
No matter what you do in pregnacy someone will think it is wrong and tell you about it. OP, you handled it very well!

I've been told my various people I need to excerise but since my OB prefers me not too (due to being high risk with twins and the fact I wasn't really doing any before I got pregnant) I'm not. I just cheerily respond 'Can't, doctor's orders!'

I had some random stranger go for a belly rub on the weekend, I had to take a quick step back to avoid that one!

menley

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 03:35:55 AM »

I agree. Besides being rude, it's pretty patronizing.  I'm an adult, and perfectly capable of taking care of my own health. With my first pregnancy, though I was twenty-six, I looked sixteen and I guess my youthful appearance made strangers think I needed their input on my pregnancy, or their concern over my relationship with a man so much older than me.   ::)  DH is in fact younger than I am.  ::)  People really need to learn to mind their own business.

Thanks for responding! I'm glad I haven't said anything like this yet... that I can remember... :) I definitely will stay quiet!