Author Topic: Exercise & Pregnancy  (Read 7530 times)

Bluenomi

Re: Exercise & Pregnancy
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 08:41:29 PM »
No matter what you do in pregnacy someone will think it is wrong and tell you about it. OP, you handled it very well!

I've been told my various people I need to excerise but since my OB prefers me not too (due to being high risk with twins and the fact I wasn't really doing any before I got pregnant) I'm not. I just cheerily respond 'Can't, doctor's orders!'

I had some random stranger go for a belly rub on the weekend, I had to take a quick step back to avoid that one!

menley

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 03:35:55 AM »
Oh wow! I can't imagine what would make her say it in that way.

I do wonder though - obviously this was not the right approach, as the woman barely knows you and said a whole host of judgmental things. But I have to admit that I've had friends who have done "bootcamp" classes and they're always talking about how strenuous it is and how they're "CRUD MONKEYS! totally destroyed" after each class. If a friend told me she was pregnant and then mentioned that she was continuing to take those classes, I might be concerned for her and ask her if she'd checked with her doctor. Is that totally rude of me?

In my opinion, yes, it is.  If your friend had been sedentary and suddenly decided to start taking bootcamp classes, you might have reason to be concerned.  But otherwise, absolutely rude.  Being pregnant does not equal being sick or somehow disabled. If you had said this to me I would have laughed and told you you didn't know what you were talking about.  Assuming your friend is receiving prenatal care, her doctor is aware of her activity levels and it is rude and very misinformed to insinuate she is doing something wrong by continuing her exercise program.

I agree. Besides being rude, it's pretty patronizing.  I'm an adult, and perfectly capable of taking care of my own health. With my first pregnancy, though I was twenty-six, I looked sixteen and I guess my youthful appearance made strangers think I needed their input on my pregnancy, or their concern over my relationship with a man so much older than me.   ::)  DH is in fact younger than I am.  ::)  People really need to learn to mind their own business.

Thanks for responding! I'm glad I haven't said anything like this yet... that I can remember... :) I definitely will stay quiet!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 08:48:29 AM »
OP, I think you did great.  I think I would have been much less polite, more in line with what you wanted to say.

I play softball.  The league I'm in used to have a rule that if you were pregnant, you couldn't play.  Liability issues, I think.  It was up to the umpires to police the rule.  Most of them were smart enough that unless they saw the baby crowning, they kept their yaps shut.  One guy?  Called a woman 'out' and removed her from the game when she came up to bat.  She wasn't pregnant.  And raised hell.  Needless to say, the rule was changed.  A friend of mine, due in December, played through August but felt too ungainly to play in September.  Another girl I knew was due around the same time and did play through September.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

earthgirl

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »
No matter what you do in pregnacy someone will think it is wrong and tell you about it.

Yep!

This drove me crazy throughout my pregnancy; from my SIL's fiance's mother (with whom I do not have a relationship) emailing me to tell me it was dangerous to take prescription medication (which was prescribed by my OB) during pregnancy, to a random stranger grabbing my wrist and physically stopping me from putting a crabcake appetizer in my mouth at a wedding and saying, "Are you sure you should be eating that?", it seemed like everybody had an opinion on what I should and shouldn't be doing, and felt that it was not only their right, but their duty, to tell me.  My MIL actually yelled at me for picking up an empty cardboard box at six months pregnant.

...and, I'm sorry to say, it doesn't stop when you give birth.  At least, not in my experience. 

Congratulations, OP!  What is right for you is up to you and your doctor, and nobody else. 

EllenS

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »
I actually think that dealing with all this nonsense is excellent practice for dealing with the irrational, intrusive demands of toddlers.

Cami

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
Congrats on your pregnancy!

Welcome to the brave new world in which your body is now considered public property. Sigh.  BTDT, have the tee-shirt.  Also make room for the tee-shirts you'll acquire after you have the baby and people will give you "helpful" comments on your parenting.

JoW

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:53 PM »
About 3 weeks ago I took a water aerobics class with a woman who was 5 days PAST her due date.  She did fine.

The way I see it the health of the mother to be and her doctor make all of the mother-to-be's health related decisions.  The rest of us need to stay out of it.

Paper Roses

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »
There was a woman who used to come to my gym and swim in the pool every day.  Bless her, she looked like she was about to deliver at any moment, but to be fair, that could have been just because the rest of her body was very slim, and also in a bathing suit, so her pregnat belly was that much more accentuated. 

Anyway, I was talking with her one day and she said she had "about 2 more weeks" to go.  I saw her a couple of days later taking her regular swim.  After she got out of the pool, another woman turned to me and made some comment about her being "ready to pop."  So I said that she'd told me she had a couple of weeks to go.  Then some guy says, "She said it was a couple of weeks a couple of weeks ago!  She makes me nervous!" 

I so wanted to ask why - I mean, seriously?  First of all, the real world isn't TV - very few women go into labor and deliver on the spot.  Secondly, I think assuming that the woman doesn't know what she's doing is pretty rude, and insulting.  If someone has to make an assumption, why not assume that she and her doctor both know what she's doing and are ok with it?
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

earthgirl

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 08:36:05 AM »
Then some guy says, "She said it was a couple of weeks a couple of weeks ago!  She makes me nervous!" 

I so wanted to ask why - I mean, seriously?  First of all, the real world isn't TV - very few women go into labor and deliver on the spot.

In the week before I delivered, I had no less than three people (women, to boot) tell me that I shouldn't be out in public.  One cashier actually said, nervously, "They don't usually...let women...walk around like that." FTR, I was enormous, but was still able to move around relatively easily, nothing that (in my opinion) would have indicated that I shouldn't be walking around.  Not sure if they thought they were going to be roped into singlehandedly delivering my baby for me, or what.

After the third such comment in so many days ("What are you doing out and about?  You should be home in bed!") I lost patience and told her that what I had wasn't contagious. 

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »

Welcome to the brave new world in which your body is now considered public property. Sigh.  BTDT, have the tee-shirt.  Also make room for the tee-shirts you'll acquire after you have the baby and people will give you "helpful" comments on your parenting.

This was actually one of the reasons that I was less than enthusiastic about announcing my pregnancy. I am a  nearly obsessive compulsive when it comes to research and fact checking, so the moment I found out I was expecting I started trying to educate myself separating what is fact/fiction/pure sanctimommy. Anyone who does know me well may ask me a question, but I feel like the concern may also be termpered with a desire to self educate? Like my friend who does Crossfit who asked if it was still safe for me, I got the impression that he wasn't asking because he though I was careless, more that he's recently married and really wanted to know.

Of course I still have my mother who is all "Is DH cleaning out the little box now? Did you just color your hair? That egg looks a little runny!" But mothers get leeway  :)

Thanks E-hellions! Are there any other phrases you needed to add to your daily usage or unexpected rudeness regarding your pregancy that I should steel myself for?

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »
My very favorite thing about this mindset is that lifting a weight or an empty box is a terrible risk, but if you're lugging around an older child through pregnancy, that's totally okay.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

BeagleMommy

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 11:13:52 AM »

This was actually one of the reasons that I was less than enthusiastic about announcing my pregnancy. I am a  nearly obsessive compulsive when it comes to research and fact checking, so the moment I found out I was expecting I started trying to educate myself separating what is fact/fiction/pure sanctimommy. Anyone who does know me well may ask me a question, but I feel like the concern may also be termpered with a desire to self educate? Like my friend who does Crossfit who asked if it was still safe for me, I got the impression that he wasn't asking because he though I was careless, more that he's recently married and really wanted to know.

Of course I still have my mother who is all "Is DH cleaning out the little box now? Did you just color your hair? That egg looks a little runny!" But mothers get leeway  :)

Thanks E-hellions! Are there any other phrases you needed to add to your daily usage or unexpected rudeness regarding your pregancy that I should steel myself for?

I would use "I'll give that all the consideration it deserves."  You will get advice on everything.  Trust your instincts.

Minmom3

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »
My very favorite thing about this mindset is that lifting a weight or an empty box is a terrible risk, but if you're lugging around an older child through pregnancy, that's totally okay.

So VERY true.....
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Minmom3

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »
Clipped!

Actually - cleaning out the litter box is NOT dangerous when you're pregnant.  There is just one rule to follow - Do it more than once a day!   ::)  This is because a) toxoplasmosis isn't dangerous to anybody until it sporulates, and it's doesn't sporulate until 24+ hours outside the body. (The faster I clean out the box, the faster the smell goes away.  I clean it out FAST...!!!)  b) Many indoor only cats never GET IT in the first place.  c) Even when a cat does get it, it only sheds for a very short time period.  d) One can avoid all the hand-to-mouth contamination danger by washing hands after cleaning out the box.  Well, duh, don't we ALL clean our hands after de-pooping the box?!   

A bigger danger than the household litter box is the public litter box (sandbox) which, not being an official litter box, never gets scooped out by its owner.  Anybody I knew when my children were small that had a sandbox had to put a hard cover on it to keep neighborhood cats out of it.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »
Clipped!

Actually - cleaning out the litter box is NOT dangerous when you're pregnant.  There is just one rule to follow - Do it more than once a day!   ::)  This is because a) toxoplasmosis isn't dangerous to anybody until it sporulates, and it's doesn't sporulate until 24+ hours outside the body. (The faster I clean out the box, the faster the smell goes away.  I clean it out FAST...!!!)  b) Many indoor only cats never GET IT in the first place.  c) Even when a cat does get it, it only sheds for a very short time period.  d) One can avoid all the hand-to-mouth contamination danger by washing hands after cleaning out the box.  Well, duh, don't we ALL clean our hands after de-pooping the box?!   

A bigger danger than the household litter box is the public litter box (sandbox) which, not being an official litter box, never gets scooped out by its owner.  Anybody I knew when my children were small that had a sandbox had to put a hard cover on it to keep neighborhood cats out of it.

Plus more people get Toxoplasmosis from not properly cleaned veggies then from a litterbox and once you have been exposed to it you develop the antibodies and as long as that first exposure isn't during pregnancy you are okay. If you are really worried you can have a doc do a check to see if you have already been exposed.