Author Topic: Exercise & Pregnancy  (Read 8029 times)

EllenS

Re: Exercise & Pregnancy
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 03:44:53 PM »
I just try to maintain the perspective that, such questions/comments tell me more about that person and their life experiences, than about me and mine.  I find it enjoyable to turn the conversation to the asker's own kids/family.  A lot of this is motivated by people's own powerful emotional memories, and by letting them talk about that instead, it turns the attention away from me.

It doesn't make them any less rude, but it helps me not walk around feeling defensive.  If I can find a way to pull a warm fuzzy out of a situation, I will.

MrTango

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »
Whenever someone tries to make invasive comments about my healthcare decisions, I really want to tell them "You are not my doctor, so I really don't give a rat's behind what you have to say about my health or well being."

Instead, when they push offer unwanted advice, I just say "no thanks" and continue doing whatever I was doing to begin with.  If they try to argue with me or demand to know why I'm not listening to their sage advice, I will be direct and tell them "You are not my doctor."  After that, I go into the mode of "not hearing" whatever they have to say on the subject.

Bluenomi

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
My very favorite thing about this mindset is that lifting a weight or an empty box is a terrible risk, but if you're lugging around an older child through pregnancy, that's totally okay.

Exactly! I can't possibly carry a 5kg bag of groceries but am fine to carry my wriggling 12kg 3 year old who decides to suddenly throw herself backwards so she can be upside down ::)

learningtofly

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »
She actually told you to let yourself get fat  :o. I stopped Zumba when it started to feel weird. At a certain point jumping wasn't fun, but I didn't miss the burpees. However, I wish I had kept up my routine. Five years later I still have 20 lbs hanging around.

I had a friend who made the gym staff nervous. But she was only doing what she had done before she got pregnant. And at eight months she was in better shape than pre-pregnancy me. 

You can't win, but do what feels right to you and congrats!

menley

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 09:42:07 AM »

Jones

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »
I was just coming here to post that same article! If someone feels that good at 8 months, good for her!

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »

daen

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 03:54:06 PM »
May I just say I both love the word "sanctimommy" and deplore that anyone ever needed to coin it?

AvidReader

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »
Congrats on your pregnancy and more power to you.  As long as you follow your doctor's advice regarding exercise at each stage (I remember my doctor telling me not to let my heart rate get above 144 bpm...I was a runner...so I had to pay attention and dial it back just a bit) keep going for as long as you are up for it. 

As for intrusive comments and lectures, "I'm closely following my doctor's advice, but thanks for your interest" and move on to the next event.  You make a reference to the higher authority (your doctor), who is presumably better informed on exercise and pregnancy than is the typical person on the street....or in the gym.

Pen^2

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
As for intrusive comments and lectures, "I'm closely following my doctor's advice, but thanks for your interest" and move on to the next event.  You make a reference to the higher authority (your doctor), who is presumably better informed on exercise and pregnancy than is the typical person on the street....or in the gym.

This, the original, "Thank you for your opinion," and a few others people have suggested are fantastic. If I'm ever pregnant I'll memorise one and set it to automatic.

Honestly, the sheer amount of unwarranted advice and plain stupid things some people say to pregnant women...

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »
No pregnancy/kids yet but I've got my line already for when "you shouldn't be doing blah, blah, blah". It's one I use all the time. "It's ok, I know what I'm doing. I'm a doctor", true not an MD, but I do have PhD after my name.

Amazingly no one has every asked to see my credentials or busted out medical questions on me so ya know...feel free to use it. ;)

lilfox

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »
I have to deal with someone in my life who firmly believes that the more I exercise now (while pregnant), the healthier and more predisposed to exercise the baby will be after he's born.  As in, my workout somehow gives the fetus a workout and a healthy mindset.

Yeah, that's not how it works.  ::)  I have learned to just not respond at all beyond saying "Yep, exercise is a good thing." (FTR, this baby is FAR more active than I am, he never stops kicking and pushing and spinning around in there.)

Doesn't it seem like the most poorly informed people have the loudest opinions?

Elisabunny

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 04:42:36 PM »
I have to deal with someone in my life who firmly believes that the more I exercise now (while pregnant), the healthier and more predisposed to exercise the baby will be after he's born.  As in, my workout somehow gives the fetus a workout and a healthy mindset.

Yeah, that's not how it works.  ::)  I have learned to just not respond at all beyond saying "Yep, exercise is a good thing." (FTR, this baby is FAR more active than I am, he never stops kicking and pushing and spinning around in there.)

Doesn't it seem like the most poorly informed people have the loudest opinions?

Hey, he/she is right!  It says so right here in this book, Heredity and Pre-Natal Culture!  (Yes, it's a real book- I own a copy.  It was written in 1898.  ;D )
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 05:01:24 PM »

I always took this to mean that exercise is helpful to the mother to healthfully carry the pregnancy and recover after birth, helpful to the development of the baby in utero, helpful to delivery, and helpful to a child as she grows up if healthful exercise is modeled for her by her parents. More of a "nurture" than a "nature" argument.

lilfox

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2013, 02:35:44 PM »

I always took this to mean that exercise is helpful to the mother to healthfully carry the pregnancy and recover after birth, helpful to the development of the baby in utero, helpful to delivery, and helpful to a child as she grows up if healthful exercise is modeled for her by her parents. More of a "nurture" than a "nature" argument.

The nurture part, I totally agree with and that is something DH and I have been and will continue to instill in DD and future DS.  The issue with this person is that they don't acknowledge the primary benefit of exercise-during-pregnancy is to me, the pregnant one, and think I should be exercising more often and more strenuously, solely because it will make the baby "fitter," if that makes sense.  It's just far enough off the mark to be frustrating.