Author Topic: Exercise & Pregnancy  (Read 8530 times)

JoW

Re: Exercise & Pregnancy
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »
Two pregnant women joined my deep water aerobics class last Wednesday.  One of them, its obvious that she isn't due until spring.  The other, when you see her the first thing you think is "Crud monkeys.  I hope she doesn't go into labor in class." 

Both spoke to the instructor before class.  Both have doctors that don't object.  Deep water aerobics means your feet don't touch bottom.  We all wear flotation belts or ride "noodle" pool toys (floats 3" diameter, 5 feet long).  The pregnant women both rode noodles to avoid squashing their bellies. The really big one couldn't do water sit-ups because her belly got in the way.   They both did fine.  And both said they plan to come back.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2013, 05:40:44 PM »
Ah, yes, that is a bit strange.  Perhaps you should swallow barbell shaped foods so your baby can work on muscle tone!

Try new and improved Barbell-O's for a nutritious breakfast! Now with marshmallow water bottles.

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »
Ah, yes, that is a bit strange.  Perhaps you should swallow barbell shaped foods so your baby can work on muscle tone!

Try new and improved Barbell-O's for a nutritious breakfast! Now with marshmallow water bottles.

I nearly spit out my coffee (and no, its not decaffeinated thankyewverimuch). ;D

Still going strong and apparently the only concern my doctor has is that I may not be getting enough calorie intake to offset the exercise. I'm taking this as a doctor approved perscription to eat more cake lol

cutejellybeen

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »
OP I'm just jealous that you can make it to the gym!! I'm just early on (mid first trimester) and can barely get the energy to get to work everyday!! Walking from Car to office often makes me nauseous. I cant imagine doing a class.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2013, 11:41:55 PM »
OP I'm just jealous that you can make it to the gym!! I'm just early on (mid first trimester) and can barely get the energy to get to work everyday!! Walking from Car to office often makes me nauseous. I cant imagine doing a class.

It is so variable. My first pregnancy I needed to nap but was still cheerfully going to gym for cardio and weights. With the second, I had days where the five block walk home almost destroyed me. I want nauseous per se but food was just icky.

cutejellybeen

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2013, 07:51:59 AM »

It is so variable. My first pregnancy I needed to nap but was still cheerfully going to gym for cardio and weights. With the second, I had days where the five block walk home almost destroyed me. I want nauseous per se but food was just icky.

Thank you for making me feel better Deetee!! I'm just waiting to get through first trimester. I hear its better in the second lol

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2013, 09:32:09 AM »

Thank you for making me feel better Deetee!! I'm just waiting to get through first trimester. I hear its better in the second lol

Even I have bad days and good days. :-)  Just listen to your body, do what's right for you and ignore the busibodies!

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »

Yes, the second is better. And it's well worth getting some exercise then. Swimming is so great as it's all the muscles and I think you start using different muscles when you are more pregnant. It also makes those last couple months less difficult if you are stronger in the rest of your body. And, as difficult as it is, it is easier (well less coordinating ) to excersise before the baby comes.

Gyburc

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »

Even I have bad days and good days. :-)  Just listen to your body, do what's right for you and ignore the busibodies!

Absolutely! I've now got just under two weeks to go (allegedly!) and have tried to keep reasonably active, even though I'm definitely not as fit as you, OP. I know when I've done too much, and just take it easier next day as far as possible.

All the very best to you!
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 07:39:51 PM »
Just chiming in here - my boss just had a baby in May and she worked out up until she gave birth. I'm convinced that being that fit helped her with labor in a lot of ways. I worked out under doc supervision during my pregnancy as well, and I also think it prepared me in a lot of ways for labor (however, I ended up having a c-section, but I also think being fit helped me recuperate faster).

And everyone will have something to tell you about pregnancy and what you should or should not be doing ..... just do what is best for YOU and what your doc is OK with - and ignore everyone else.

At the beginning of my pregnancy, I had my ex-boss' wife go OFF on me for about 20 minutes about how awful I was for eating tuna fish. I ate a tuna fish sandwich and mentioned it in passing and she started screaming, "TUNA FISH????????!!!!!! YOU HAD TUNA FISH!!!!!!! Your baby is going to have MERCURY POISONING! YOU CAN'T EAT TUNA FISH!!!!!"

Ah.... good times. Congrats on the little one  :)
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2013, 10:46:06 AM »
Just chiming in here - my boss just had a baby in May and she worked out up until she gave birth. I'm convinced that being that fit helped her with labor in a lot of ways. I worked out under doc supervision during my pregnancy as well, and I also think it prepared me in a lot of ways for labor (however, I ended up having a c-section, but I also think being fit helped me recuperate faster).

And everyone will have something to tell you about pregnancy and what you should or should not be doing ..... just do what is best for YOU and what your doc is OK with - and ignore everyone else.

At the beginning of my pregnancy, I had my ex-boss' wife go OFF on me for about 20 minutes about how awful I was for eating tuna fish. I ate a tuna fish sandwich and mentioned it in passing and she started screaming, "TUNA FISH????????!!!!!! YOU HAD TUNA FISH!!!!!!! Your baby is going to have MERCURY POISONING! YOU CAN'T EAT TUNA FISH!!!!!"

Ah.... good times. Congrats on the little one  :)

Oh goodness don't even get me started on people trying to monitor what I eat. Apparently eating preservative and sugar laden cookies and McDonald's Value meals is a-OK but even cooked sushi is the devil and I am going to kill the baby with cross contamination from parasites by just walking into a sushi place or something. Le sigh.