Author Topic: Quick question for people with good grammar  (Read 1287 times)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Quick question for people with good grammar
« on: September 18, 2013, 01:10:09 AM »
I'm putting together gifts for friends of ours, eight individual families. I'm going to attach a label to each of the gifts stating what's inside. Beneath that, I want to make sure that I'm correct in how I sign. Let's say that our last name is Smith. Please, let me know which words to capitalize. Which of the following is correct?

from the Smiths

from The Smiths     <-- I think this is correct

From The Smiths    <-- I like this most because I think it looks most uniform

I'm ordering labels online so that it looks professional. If I were handwriting it, I could make it ambiguous, but I actually want these to look good. Especially since one of our friends works for a newspaper and his wife is a teacher. I don't want to look uneducated.  ;)  Thanks in advance.

Katana_Geldar

Re: Quick question for people with good grammar
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:20:23 AM »
First one is correct unless ou have a business called "The Smiths".

Sebastienne

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 02:24:36 AM »
I like the latter. "From" should definitely be capitalized. "Smiths" should also obviously be capitalized. "The" is ambiguous, but the uniformity won't be questioned at all.

Honestly, the only thing that would really raise eyebrows would be "From the Smith's." Which you're not doing.

My last name ends in S. Let's say it's Jones. I always get Christmas cards addressed to "The Jone's" or "The Jones'," and it drives me crazy.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:40:25 AM »
I'm putting together gifts for friends of ours, eight individual families. I'm going to attach a label to each of the gifts stating what's inside. Beneath that, I want to make sure that I'm correct in how I sign. Let's say that our last name is Smith. Please, let me know which words to capitalize. Which of the following is correct?

from the Smiths

I'm ordering labels online so that it looks professional. If I were handwriting it, I could make it ambiguous, but I actually want these to look good. Especially since one of our friends works for a newspaper and his wife is a teacher. I don't want to look uneducated.  ;)  Thanks in advance.

From the Smiths if you absolutely must start what is a fragment, not a whole sentence, with a capital (and on something like a gift label I don't think that's necessary).  Don't capitalise 'the' .

Personally I like the look of from the Smiths for a gift label. It looks friendlier and less formal

Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

katycoo

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 03:10:58 AM »
If there is no writing on the label prior to the "from", my (self-diagnosed) OCD would require me to capitalise the F.

So I'd use "From the Smiths"

poundcake

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 06:24:48 AM »
First one is correct unless ou have a business called "The Smiths".

Or Morrissey decided to reunite the guys.  8)

Co-signing "From the Smiths"

Another Sarah

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 06:58:14 AM »
I was always taught that articles are never capitalised unless they're the first word in a title, so don't capitalise the 'the'.

Otherwise, capitalise 'from' if you want the word to read as a complete sentence or don't if you don't.

Starry Diadem is right about it being a sentence fragment, but I think that's fine on a gift card. "This gift is from the Smiths" would look a whole lot weirder!

lowspark

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 10:01:23 AM »

from the Smiths

So the tag will read something like this?

A complete tea set
from the Smiths

In that case, I'd capitalize Smiths (of course) but not from or the.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 10:38:22 AM »
Option 4: "From the Smiths" "From" is capitalized because it's the first letter of the phrase/sentence. "the" is lower-case because this isn't a title, nor is it part of a name (i.e. "The Smiths"). "Smiths" is capitalized because it's a name.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »
Personally, I think of this less as a grammar issue, and more of a style issue. So I would try to keep the style of the whole tag consistent.

If each line/word starts with a capital letter, I would capitalize From as well, assuming "From the Smiths" is the last line of the tag.

If the items in all the lines are generally lowercase, I would keep from lowercase as well.

Personally, I would not capitalize "the." I think too many capitalized words in a row look blocky, and I welcome the occasional article (a/an/the) or preposition that offers variety in, say, a title: The House at the End of the Street.

Caramel corn
Molasses crinkles
Pumpkin scones
From the Smiths

or

caramel corn
molasses crinkles
pumpkin scones
from the Smiths

or

Caramel Corn
Molasses Crinkles
Pumpkin Scones
From the Smiths

But basically, anyone who turns their nose up at caramel corn, molasses crinkles, and pumpkin scones (or whatever you're making) because they don't like your capitalization scheme is not worthy of your goodies in the first place! ;D
~Lynn2000

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:38 AM »
Option 4: "From the Smiths" "From" is capitalized because it's the first letter of the phrase/sentence. "the" is lower-case because this isn't a title, nor is it part of a name (i.e. "The Smiths"). "Smiths" is capitalized because it's a name.

This is my vote--I'm a professional copyeditor.
But it's also a style issue, as Lynn2000 points out.

it wouldn't be wrong to write "from the Smiths"

And some people would do "from the smiths," going for that artsy all-lowercase vibe.

Or, "FROM THE SMITHS"

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 10:53:52 AM »

This is my vote--I'm a professional copyeditor.
But it's also a style issue, as Lynn2000 points out.

it wouldn't be wrong to write "from the Smiths"

And some people would do "from the smiths," going for that artsy all-lowercase vibe.

Or, "FROM THE SMITHS"

Another vote for the ArtK form, although I like "From The Smiths", too.  "Smiths" is capitalized for sure, and "From" is the first word, so consensus seems to be to capitalize that.  The "the" is optional.   I like the uniformity, without the "valley".

I don't think doing it the "wrong" way would make you look uneducated or silly.  I think the gifts make you look generous :).

Or, you could throw up your hands and write "From Danika and DHFirstName" ;)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »

*twitch*

If you are listing the contents, I'm with Lynn2000.  If you are just putting your name on it, I'm with artk2002.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 11:09:08 AM »
Or, you could throw up your hands and write "From Danika and DHFirstName" ;).

Maybe I should just do this anyway, as I have kept my maiden name and so Smith is only DH's and our kids' last name. I thought it would be too long and pretentious to write "From Danika Maidenname and John Smith", but "From Danika and John" sounds pretty good.

This is the kind of thing that might have a long shelf life, so I don't want them staring at it for a few years and wincing at the signature. It's going to look like (centered with one large font and then small font):

Mint Tea
Happy Holidays 2013
From Danika & John

lowspark

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »
I think that's perfect.