Author Topic: Slate article: vegetarians should eat chicken stock  (Read 6796 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Slate article: vegetarians should eat chicken stock
« on: September 18, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
Here is the link: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/09/chicken_stock_vegetarians_need_to_compromise_and_stop_pretending_it_counts.html

Basically, the author feels that he is already making a sacrifice by not having a meat dish when vegetarians are coming for dinner at his invitation. Not using chicken stock would be culinary sin. If the vegetarians don't know and the food is delightful, who cares?

All I will say is: no one is forced to invite vegetarians for dinner if they value chicken stock over the person but respecting the person's choices and beliefs is imperative.

I have a feeling that Slate has really jumped the shark with this one. For quite a while, it has printed more and more sensational articles as well as a lot of what I can only describe as click bait.

CakeBeret

Re: Slate article: vegetarians should eat chicken stock
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »
I couldn't even finish the article. What a self-absorbed snob.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

cwm

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:20:20 AM »
I don't even want to read the article. And honestly, I don't usually use chicken stock in anything. If I know someone has food restrictions for whatever reason, I'll respect that and find something else to cook.

lowspark

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »
I couldn't even finish the article. What a self-absorbed snob.

Me neither. It's just an elaborate rationalization for "my choices are more valid that yours".  I hope the vegetarians who came for dinner that night read the article. My guess is that the author will never again have to worry about feeding vegetarians... anything.

Oh, and although I'm not a vegetarian (or even close!) there's no way I'd accept an invitation for dinner from this person either.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 11:25:11 AM »
Me neither. I have no idea what else the author might have thought is OK as long as the guests don't know.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »
Ugh, what a horribly entitled SS. That article definitely seems like trolling. If you don't want to compromise your cooking principles for vegetarians, fine, but at least tell them the truth about what you're serving. No, politeness does not require us to eat whatever someone else wants us to. And no, we do not have to compromise our ethics even "just a little bit." I've substituted vegetable broth for chicken broth when cooking for vegetarians and I could not taste the difference -- but I guess I'm not a risotto connoisseur.  ::)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »
I'm not a vegetarian. But I have both vegetarian and vegan friends. I like to have people over and when I have them over I must feed them. Not necessarily because of etiquette standards or because they're hungry, but rather because it is ingrained into my very soul that when you invite people over you feed them (even if they're just meeting at your place to go somewhere else, like dinner, you still offer snacks). So, I learned to make some vegetarian and vegan dishes without even having to use chicken stock!

I've missed the big deal about chicken stock apparently as the only time I use it because a) the recipe tells me to do so, or b) I'm making chicken salad (I boil chicken in chicken stock, keeps it from being too dry). I don't even think I have any in the house right now. But I'm not a chef or connoisseur of much of anything. I'm pretty excited when I complete an entire meal without starting a fire or burning something. Even better when everyone likes the food I've cooked.

The whole thing sounded troll-y to me. And if not...then people I don't want to hang out with. And I eat meat.

Zizi-K

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
I will admit to having thought *in my head* "oh, a little bit of stock won't kill you!" But I never ever have said it aloud to any vegetarians, nor have I ever tried to slip a meat product past a vegetarian. I strongly believe that people get to decide for themselves how to eat, and it is not my business to pronounce judgment on others' decisions.

The author of the article is not only disrespectful of other people, but s/he must also only cook dishes from a very limited region - like, mostly only French, if he just. can't. live. without stock. Vegetarian stir-fries do NOT need chicken stock to taste delicious!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »
As a omnivore, I think he's a jerk.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Hillia

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 12:45:48 PM »
I will admit to having thought *in my head* "oh, a little bit of stock won't kill you!" But I never ever have said it aloud to any vegetarians, nor have I ever tried to slip a meat product past a vegetarian. I strongly believe that people get to decide for themselves how to eat, and it is not my business to pronounce judgment on others' decisions.

The author of the article is not only disrespectful of other people, but s/he must also only cook dishes from a very limited region - like, mostly only French, if he just. can't. live. without stock. Vegetarian stir-fries do NOT need chicken stock to taste delicious!

POD. I might roll my eyes a little to myself, but if I'm inviting people to dinner, presumably I care about them - and that means not sneaking in ingredients that they don't eat, whether for religious or health reasons, or just because they don't like them.  I might make the dish anyway, as long as the folks who can't eat it have plenty of other options, but I would definitely tell them...'Just so you know, the risotto has chicken broth in it'.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Garden Goblin

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »
It was also my understanding that some vegetarians and particularly vegans can actually get ill from animal protein if they've been in that lifestyle long enough.  I hear about it more often with beef products though.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
Intentional deception.  Not cool.  If he wanted to use chicken stock, fine...but he owes it to his guests to let them know!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 12:59:39 PM »
As a omnivore, I think he's a jerk.

Excellently put.

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »
Intentional deception.  Not cool.  If he wanted to use chicken stock, fine...but he owes it to his guests to let them know!

They know NOW!  Thank goodness he gave enough identifying information in his self-absorbed article about himself that he's going to be real easy to pick out amongst his (after this I'm sure slowly dwindling) circle of friends.  >:D

BarensMom

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »
Yeah, if his friends were wondering "why do we always get sick when we eat at Bob's?" they sure know the reason now.  I hope he gets the big ol' cut direct from the lot of them.