General Etiquette > Life...in general

Appropriate thank you in Chinese culture

(1/3) > >>

MissKitty:
Hi all,

I mostly lurk here, but I learn so much just from reading that I rarely have a question.  However, I know there are some here who are of Chinese descent who may be able to help me keep from "putting my foot in it" so to speak. :)

A couple of weeks ago, I injured myself during my workout at the gym.  It wasn't so bad at first, but after a couple of days I was in serious pain.  Since I knew it was a strictly muscular issue, I was reluctant to go to the doctor because I really didn't think a steroid shot or pain killers would be the best solution.  My mother has some clients who have a Chinese acupressure clinic, so she suggested I go there.  I have gone a couple of times and things are improving quite a bit.  However, since they have been my mother's clients for a long time and she has helped them with a lot of stuff, they would not accept any payment from me.

So my question is what is an appropriate way to thank them.  Obviously I have thanked them verbally, but in addition I would like to do something more.  The treatments have helped tremendously and are actually fixing the issue instead of masking it.  Normally I would bake a batch of cookies or send a nice fruit basket to their office, but I am not sure if that is appropriate.  The head of the practice is an older Chinese gentleman and I don't want to accidentally give offense.

So, wise eHellions, what do you suggest as a way to say thank you for their help?

gmama:
Fruit baskets and/or cookies would be greatly appreciated.  Oranges would be nice as they symbolize wealth and prosperity (usually only given in the new year but my mom and aunts pretty much gave them as thank you gifts all year round).  It's also the Moon Cake Festival tomorrow...if you can purchase a small box of mooncakes from a Chinese grocery or bakery, I'm sure that would be appreciated also.

Hope that helps!  :)

eta: You're pretty much okay with giving most anything.  It's the gesture that counts.  But the only things that are a BIG no-no would be giving someone a clock or knives.  Knives because of the symbolism and clocks because the word for clock sounds like the word for death.

Thipu1:
If you can find the moon cakes, that would be very sweet.  However, the fruit basket would also be an excellent choice.  Sending just about anything that you would send as a gift to be shared in a business situation would be very unlikely to give offense. 

JadeGirl:
Cookies, a fruit basket or other consumable items that can be shared would be entirely appropriate.

kitchcat:
I may be out on a limb here, but I have never liked when people give culturally/ethnically themed gifts  because the receipient is X race. Thank them the way you would thank any other person. I know it's well intentiond, but to me it feels like the giver sees your ethnicity, not an individual.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version