General Etiquette > Life...in general

Appropriate thank you in Chinese culture

<< < (2/3) > >>

TeraNova15:

--- Quote from: kitchcat on September 19, 2013, 01:21:29 PM ---I may be out on a limb here, but I have never liked when people give culturally/ethnically themed gifts  because the receipient is X race. Thank them the way you would thank any other person. I know it's well intentiond, but to me it feels like the giver sees your ethnicity, not an individual.

--- End quote ---

POD

I can see *some* concern if the gentleman was a immigrant who hadn't been in the states long. But if he's (and I'm assuming you live in the US) Chinese American or has been living in the US a long time you should just thank him the same way you would thank anyone else.

If it matters, I am part Chinese and would internally raise an eyebrow if someone bought me a gift based on my ethicity, but I would take it in good stride and in the spirit it was given.

White Lotus:
I'd be OK with moon cakes because they aren't available all the time, and I would think the giver was just being especially thoughtful to think of the season, but that may be because I like them so much. However, OP may not know where to get them, or what kind is the best -- everyone has a favorite. Any fruit is good -- I tend to go with best of the season.

barefoot_girl:
I completely agree with kitchcat - you're not giving him the gift because he is XYZ ethnicity, you've giving him the gift because he has done you a pretty major favour and ios a kindly man. I am not aware of any cultures in which a tray of cookies or sweets is not appreciated!

EllenS:
I think picking an ethnically-themed gift, is quite different from trying to avoid anything that might be accidentally offensive, or learning something that might be extra-special like the oranges.  Anyone might enjoy a citrus basket, but if oranges have a positive traditional meaning, that is even better.  I learned something from Gmama's post, and am glad to know, as a set of kitchen knifes is a very common wedding gift in the US.  Now I know that would not be a good choice for my Chinese-American friends.

Katana_Geldar:

--- Quote from: EllenS on September 19, 2013, 03:58:26 PM ---I think picking an ethnically-themed gift, is quite different from trying to avoid anything that might be accidentally offensive, or learning something that might be extra-special like the oranges.  Anyone might enjoy a citrus basket, but if oranges have a positive traditional meaning, that is even better.  I learned something from Gmama's post, and am glad to know, as a set of kitchen knifes is a very common wedding gift in the US.  Now I know that would not be a good choice for my Chinese-American friends.

--- End quote ---
Even I. Western culture a knife can be considered a bad luck gift as it can cut the relationship between you. Some people will "buy" the gift off the giver for a small denomination doing (like a cent of five cents).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version