Author Topic: Anybody want some goldfish? (not the crackers)  (Read 1104 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Anybody want some goldfish? (not the crackers)
« on: September 18, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
AKA: Should/can I give these fishies to a pet store so that they can possibly have a happier home?

BG: DD#2 has 3 goldfish that were given to her by exBF#2* as a prom invite. They were left at our door with a side-walk-chalk note "Of all the fishies in the sea, would you go to prom with me." How sweet! So, in the beginning, DD#2 was very diligent in taking care of these lovely fishies . . . /endBG.

DD#2 has owned the fish for 4 years now. They have grown to be about 4-inches long each, seem to be happyish enough by moving around a lot (I think they do need a larger tank plus a much more loving owner) but it's come to the point where I have to nag her to death about cleaning the tank or I do it myself. I did not sign up for this!

While DD#2 feeds them every day, she told me that her heart isn't into them any more because they remind her of BF#2.

So, how do you go about re-homing goldfish?

*If anybody remembers, exBF#2 is the guy that set off my hinky meter and was also a probable theft suspect, it's been more than 2 years since they broke up and the caring of the fishies has been a very slow decline.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: Anybody want some goldfish? (not the crackers)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »
  I dont know that a store will take them , but I think someone on Craigslist will.

Curious Cat

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
No reputable pet store would take them because they wouldn't be able to vouch for them an I'd be concerned about giving them away on CL I'd have your daughter ask her  friends if anyone (or their younger siblings) are looking for a pet. Worse comes to worse there might be a teacher interested in having a pet for their classroom.

BarensMom

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »
If you were in my area, I'd take them - I love goldfish and miss not having a tank to look after.

You could ask one of the smaller, hobby aquarium shops if they know of anyone who has a large goldfish tank or pond that wouldn't mind a few additions.

norrina

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 11:27:16 PM »
Would you be giving away all the equipment too (aquarium, etc.)? One of the local day cares/preschools might like to have them. I had goldfish in my classroom when I had my 3 y.o. room, but I had to supply all the equipment too, not just the fish.

mandycorn

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »
I'd call independent pet stores and ask if they'd take them. A friend of mine had some guppies that were quite adept at reproducing and she found a store that was willing to take all of the babies and two of her three adult guppies. They were quite clear that they wouldn't pay her for them, but if she wanted to give them away, they'd be happy to accept them.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »
Even though a pet store won't take them as stock, they usually know people who will take them or will take them home themselves.

Our little blue lobster grew from 2" to 8" and was a menace to everything. They took him and one of the employees put him in his artificial pond.

SiotehCat

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »
Personally, I would make my daughter keep them and take better care of them. I would have a long talk with her about pets not being disposable and how she should have thought about all this before she accepted them.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:18:35 PM »
Personally, I would make my daughter keep them and take better care of them. I would have a long talk with her about pets not being disposable and how she should have thought about all this before she accepted them.

Well, she was given them; she didn't choose to have them. I would accept any pet a SO gave me, too, as long as I had the space for it.

I would call a pet store or even a plant nursery and see if they will take them. A lot of nurseries also sell pond supplies including forms, and some of them have ponds set up on site.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 03:44:23 AM »
Thanks, everybody!

No resolution yet, but I came home from work to find a very clean tank. :)

norrina -- I really like the suggestion of a day care. I might even go back to the day care where DDs went . . . "Hey, remember me? Want some fish?" ;D . . . seriously, they had a wonderful aquarium and I still run into one of the teachers (15+ years later) at the local grocery store now and then.

Well, she was given them; she didn't choose to have them. I would accept any pet a SO gave me, too, as long as I had the space for it.

I agree with both of you. ;D

Nebulous

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 04:02:52 AM »
This reminds me of my pet bird (a cockatiel) that my parents bought for me and my siblings when we were younger.  Fast forward 15 years and we were all out of the house and couldn't take him.   My mom was taking care of him by herself.  I didn't realize how bad it was until I was visiting her one Christmas and the poor thing just looked depressed and was missing feathers.

I happened to have a coworker who had a bird farm, so I asked if she would be willing to take him in - and she did.  In fact, several months later she came in with some little chicks in her ahem*bra*ahem and told me my bird was a father.  She had some pictures and he looked so much happier and well cared for.

My suggestion - have your daughter take a more active role in re-homing the fish as they are her responsibility.  I always felt bad my mom got the responsibility of the pet even though she didn't ask for it - so I was really glad to have been able to find him a new home.  I'd also recommend checking online forums for fish lovers, as I'm sure they have boards for selling or re-homing fish if the day-care option doesn't work.