Author Topic: Does your cat/dog KNOW when they're headed to the vet?  (Read 3244 times)

veronaz

Does your cat/dog KNOW when they're headed to the vet?
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »
I took my cat in for a vet appt. and we were waiting on a bench outside…..got a call that my ride was running late.  So rather than stress I decided to stay outside and enjoy the weather (kitty was in a carrier).

In the parking lot I was watching two men dealing with a bull mastiff.  I thought there were just walking/playing, but I noticed the dog would kind of whine whenever they got close to the entrance door.  The one guy kind of smiled at me and shook his head, saying they go thru this every time they bring the dog to the vet.  They said he loves to go for rides in the van/truck, but gets nervous, etc. when they try to get him out of the vehicle at the vet office, and he will sit and stubbornly resist going inside.

The Dr. and vet techs there are wonderful.  But I thought it was amusing that the dog was acting like a child who knows he’s gonna get a shot, or how some kids act when they first get haircuts.

It took them quite a while to get that mastiff into the building.  It was a sight to see, though.   :D

My cat seems to know when I take the carrier out of the closet the night before that something is up. (Nothing good is gonna happen…….)  I've tried to get her to play with the carrier, but no way.  She just gives me the stink-eye.  I have to be really sneaky/fast when I put her in. 

How about your pet?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:10:24 PM by veronaz »

Lorelei_Evil

Re: Does your cat/dog KNOW when they're headed to the vet?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:01 PM »
Of course.  If the see the Box of Shame, they know.  Yet they are oddly possessive of their carriers.  Try to put K in J's carrier?  J won't be pleased.  That is HER Box of Shame!  K has her own.

Spoiled?  Surely you jest.

XRogue

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »
Yes, Ellie enjoys it. Cat, not so much.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »
Rika knows. Oh, does she know. I don't even have to get the carrier out. I so much as even THINK "vet" and she's running under the bed where I can't get at her.

But once we're there, she won't come out of the carrier. Make up your mind, cat...
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

daen

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:06:58 PM »
My Tailsome Twosome hate the vet. Hate hate HATE the vet, especially the orange boy, due to an emergency weekend stay in observation in the same facility as a little yappydog.

And yet, when I bring out the carriers, I need only place them in the middle of the kitchen floor and open the doors, and two minutes later, I have one cat in each carrier.  The sadness only begins when I put them in the car and the car begins moving,  spikes when we enter the dread building, hovers at the peak when they are individually removed from their carriers,  and reaches its full crescendo with the dreaded shots.

That reminds me - I need to make an appointment for them sometime in the next two weeks...  poor kitties.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 09:13:46 PM »
So far DH is usually the one who takes our cat to the vet, but according to him our lazy, easy-going fluffball turns into Bloodclaw the Destroyer of Veterinarians the moment he crosses the doorway.  (He travels in a kennel, so no prodding or pulling necessary.)  DH could tell you stories about falconer's gloves and purritoes that would make you cringe and laugh at the same time.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
Absolutely they know.

The cats disappear as soon as their boxes are brought out - I now shut the house down before I even think of getting the boxes out.  No hidey place is left available, even so, it's amazing where two black cats can hide.  Neither of them play up at the vet, thankfully, but they are very good at letting me know they're not happy.  For Morty, Not Happy usually means I have to finish the drive to the vet with the window down...   :'(  then clean him up when I get there.

The dogs also know.  I put harnesses on them before we go, and I have to hide the harness from Molly if I don't want her to hide under a bed.  Suzi, on the other hand, loves going out anywhere, so she'll be trying to shove her head into Molly's harness while I'm trying to get it on her. 

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »
Not surprisingly, my cats are missing a few brain cells  ::).  I can get out the boxes, and they immediately climb in!

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
I had a cat, and used a leash and harness on her vet trip. When we got to the vet, I sat away from the dogs, on a bench. She walked the length of the leash away from me on the bench, and sat with her back facing me. I'd pull her close to me, and she would walk away again. When we got home, she didn't come near me for a week. If I walked into a room, she left. She wouldn't eat, until I left the room. I found it rather funny.

I also had a calico who on her trip to the vet, I thought she was going to eat him. She was not amused.

veronaz

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »
When we got home, she didn't come near me for a week. If I walked into a room, she left.

I get the cold shoulder treatment and the "Don't even think about petting me"  >:( look for a couple of days.  But actually, during the actual appt. she's fine.  The staff loves her.  It's the confinement in the carrier that she hates.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:58:22 PM by veronaz »

Figgie

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 10:00:43 PM »
Spike and Mike (litter mates) both know that they are going to the vet and hate going to the vet, but for different reasons.  They share a carrier, not because they want to, but because I insist. 

Spike is a howler and Mikey has sensitive ears.  If they are in separate carriers, we have to listen to Spike shriek the entire time.  If they are together it is more like:  shriek, whack, shriek, whack, shriek, whack and then blessed silence from Spike who is sick of getting hit by his brother every time he (Spike) opens his mouth.  :)

However, when they get to the vet, it is reversed.  Mikey starts yelling:  LET ME OUT NOW!!!  He won't stay in the carrier when there are new people around to admire him, pet him and rub his belly.  :)  Spike hides in the back of the carrier and tries to make himself as small as is possible for a 24 pound black cat. 

It is a royal pain to get his royal highness (Mikey) back into the carrier since he thinks that there might still be a person who hasn't had the chance to admire him/rub his belly out there.  The vet says that they have never known a cat yell to be let out of the carrier at the office before they met Mikey.  :)

The girls try to hide, but they are resigned to their fate and once they are put in their carriers they just huddle there, waiting miserably for it to be over with.

veronaz

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »
24 pound black cat. 

Wow, big kitty!

norrina

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 10:09:21 PM »
Our cat doesn't actually seem to mind the vet's office itself, but boy does he hate the ride there. Or anywhere else. The ride home (ETA: from the shelter that we adopted him from) he carried on like someone was killing him, and no other car trip has been any better (4 1/2 hours each way to take him on a holiday with us was not fun for anyone; we've reserved his spot at the kennel for our next trip). He has a soft side carrier with a pillow liner, and he'll sleep in that sometimes, so he doesn't mind getting zipped into it. We can carry him out and put the carrier in the car just fine, but as soon as the engine turns over, the complaining starts. Then we get him out at the vet and he's fine again, and will explore the exam room while we wait to be seen.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:13:00 PM by norrina »

BB-VA

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »
Midnight (terrier mix) didn't know where we were going but he knew when we got there.

He was a great car dog - he ALWAYS wanted to go for rides.  But as soon as we would get out of the car at the vet's office, he would start to growl at the bushes in front of the building.  He was a very good natured little dog with most people, and I am convinced he would have liked the vet had they met on neutral territory.   The combination of "guy who sticks me" with "not my territory" was pretty annoying to him.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »
24 pound black cat. 

Wow, big kitty!

Hey, that's exactly the same as what our cat weighs!  Well, assuming the vet was able to get an accurate reading on the demon cat he turned into.  He's not particularly fat (sorry, fluffy), just proportionally large.  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.