Author Topic: Does your cat/dog KNOW when they're headed to the vet?  (Read 3465 times)

Figgie

Re: Does your cat/dog KNOW when they're headed to the vet?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 10:13:40 PM »
24 pound black cat. 

Wow, big kitty!

He and his brother are big cats all over.  Long bodies, legs and tails.  The kind of cat that used to be called a "ratter" when I was a kid.  :)  They both have belly bags and what is really frightening, is that as big as Spike is, his belly bag is nowhere near full...it still hangs and swings. 

Bluenomi

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 10:24:05 PM »
Isis doesn't like going anywhere in the car. As soon as she sees the carrier she tries to hide. We've learned to hide the cage around a corner, shut her into one room (ideally the hallway because there isn't anywhere to hide), grab her and shove her in. Works best with 2 people.

As soon as she goes into the car she starts complaining, using her most pitiful cry. She won't stop until she gets out of the car which makes the 25 minute trip to the cattery a bit painful.

Once at the vet she stops and huddles in the carrier until we get to see the vet. Sometimes she'll explore and not want to go back in, other times she turns into a big lump and gives me and the vet the stink eye.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
My cats are ok.  They mostly shriek whine during the ride over.  Gretchen will get out and explore the exam room and will allow herself to be poked and prodded. Zoe has to be wrapped up in a purritto.  Grace just falls limp as she thinks the vet is going to kill her.

Lynnv

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 12:04:11 AM »
Our little cat Artie doesn't know that we are going to the vet.  But he hates the evil box that carries him away for home.  Which he does NOT approve of, thank you very much.   Bob was the same way.   And Artie hates the whole vet scene.

Harry, on the other hand, will only go on a leash (he has busted out of more than one box).   By he loves to go for rides.  And loves the vet, though our old vet moved away and he doesn't like the new one as well yet.   And he loves that the office staff and many patrons make much of the "brave kitty on a leash."   He is such an odd kitty.   ;)
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

AngelicGamer

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 02:26:23 AM »
Cookie (our nearly 1 year old Cavachon puppy) loves going to the vet.  Then again, the vet is at Petsmart and she loves going there - so much attention because she's at adorable stage - so there's no drama with her.  If anything, we have to remind her not to jump up on the bird cages when we travel back to see the vet.  ::) She loves bird watching out in the backyard too.  As for the adorable stage, I have this feeling she's going to be a Nermal dog - no matter the age, she's always going to be cute and adorable.  We'll see.  :)

Casey, our previous dog, didn't like going.  We had to muzzle him because... well, he hated other dogs.  And when we would get between him and the other dogs, he'd go crazy and bite mom.  So, the vet (and going anywhere else where there were dogs) were high anxiety.  I loved him tons but he was a very difficult dog.  He was also a rescue due to the family not being able to keep him due to a neighbor's kid being bit, possibly due to seeing another dog and the kid getting in the way.  We also believe that he was not socialized with humans or other dogs as a puppy due to the family putting their schedule over helping him, even after he was out of the puppy stage.  At least we were able to give him seven really good years before he left (we got him when he was three).

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 02:33:43 AM »
When we took Duster, DSil's kitty Empress and a friend's cat Ringo to get fixed, Ringo was the ring leader in the van, meowing like he was going to the slaughter, lol, you could TELL he knew where he was going, and what for!

shadowfox79

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 02:42:41 AM »
My dear departed Tigger definitely knew. He was hell to get into the carrier - I swear he grew a few extra legs while we were lowering him in - would throw up en route and howl his head off the entire time. If there was another cat in the waiting room he would start a chorus with them.

Dash and Spot also don't like the carriers but at least they don't scream, as long as I position the doors so that they can see each other.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 03:05:31 AM »
Our cat does know.  The only time she is in her carrier is for trips to the vet, so she protests loudly when we put her in there.  Once there she is fine and  cooperative, but she does know and doesn't like it.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Sebastienne

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 03:24:00 AM »
The dog loves the vet. Loves, loves, loves. Last year, he got really sick, and we took him there, and they gave him the love (and the medicine), and they made him feel better. The vet is a fantastic place, if you're Iggy.

I took one of the cats to the vet today, though, and if you'd asked him 12 hours ago, it was the worst thing that ever happened in the history of ever. That's why I had to spend an hour cleaning my car afterwards. If you asked him now, his paw feels much better, thanks so much, and can you rub his belly now please?

fishy

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 04:59:44 AM »
My dearly loved departed boy would start to whine a few streets away from the vet - he loved going for a drive but as soon as he recognised the route he was a big old scaredy cat. Very funny for others to see a 40 kilo Rottweiler cross shaking all over and sitting in his momma's lap in the waiting room.

poundcake

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 06:36:05 AM »
Ours love their carriers, and, if left out, they'll even sleep and play in them. So they don't freak out about the appearance of the carriers. However, as soon as said carriers are put into the car? Let the whining commence!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 07:00:41 AM »
Bailey and Sherlock aren't too bad about getting to the vet.  But Brandy will hide under beds or in areas of the house we didn't even realize anything could hide and we have to start hunting her down half an hour before.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Redwing

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 08:56:01 AM »
My sweet Gracie hated the car, didn't matter where we were going.  She didn't mind the vet, but she'd shiver her whole way through the visit.  Our new puppy, Rudy, is making his first visit to the vet today.  I am anticipating he'll be fine because he's very laid back, although a little timid.  We'll see. 

We had thunderstorms last night and I was happy to see that he couldn't care less.  Thunderstorms were very rough on Gracie.

Cherry91

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 09:03:01 AM »
The second Cocoa sees the cat basket, he will BOLT (it can only mean vet) . Fortunately he's not our first cat, even if he is the fastest we've ever had, so we are well trained in getting him to the vets on time.

cwm

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 09:25:17 AM »
Fulton's vet is at my friend's house, and she goes over there for play dates as well as checkups, so she just thinks she's going for playtime and oh by the way someone else is going to pay attention to her and love on her and spoil her rotten.

Even if something happened to friend's dad long-term and I had to take her to the vets at PetSmart, I don't think she'd have a problem with that, she goes in there all the time with me and everyone knows her and loves her.

I'm not sure she even really knows where we're going, she just loves going anywhere as long as there's someone to pay attention to her.