Author Topic: Does your cat/dog KNOW when they're headed to the vet?  (Read 3383 times)

Quiltin Nana

Re: Does your cat/dog KNOW when they're headed to the vet?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Isis doesn't like going anywhere in the car. As soon as she sees the carrier she tries to hide. We've learned to hide the cage around a corner, shut her into one room (ideally the hallway because there isn't anywhere to hide), grab her and shove her in. Works best with 2 people.

As soon as she goes into the car she starts complaining, using her most pitiful cry. She won't stop until she gets out of the car which makes the 25 minute trip to the cattery a bit painful.

Once at the vet she stops and huddles in the carrier until we get to see the vet. Sometimes she'll explore and not want to go back in, other times she turns into a big lump and gives me and the vet the stink eye.

I also have an Isis who hates car rides.  She makes the most awful moaning sound.  Luckily the vet is only about a 5 minute car ride.  She also doesn't like most people.  There are only a few people that she will allow to touch her, me, my DD's fiance, and sometimes my granddaughter. 

Now the pups, Brutis doesn't mind going to the vet, but he HATES the actual vet person.  We now have to muzzle him because he tries to bite her everytime she tries to take his temperature.  He's fine with everyone else he's ever been around.

ChiChi is nervous and usually pees on me, but she's quiet and just takes the shot and temperature taking without a whimper.  Once we get back home, they usually play fight with each other like they are blaming each other for the whole trip.   

We had a prior dog - Tavi - a Cairn Terrier who loved rides in the car and went almost everywhere with us, would start shaking everytime we pulled into the driveway at the vets.   

starofwinter

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
We have two cats who go to the vet at least once a year for boarding (they get their checkups then).   Phoebe the tabbycat sits and meeps at us, but her adopted sister Nissi the Hellspawn is capable of making the oddest, most bloodcurdling sounds.  It sounds like you've opened a portal to the nether dimension and are currently torturing one of the inhabitants with a cheese grater. 

Phoebe likes the carrier because it also means "YAY WE'RE GOING TO SIT OUTSIDE AND LOOK AT ALL THE THINGS."  Nissi hates it for the same reason, so we usually grab her first. 

They usually spend the day after they get home alternately glaring and begging for pets and treats.

Redsoil

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 10:01:08 AM »
My girl (14.5 year old kelpie) absolutely LOVES going to the vets!  And it's not like she hasn't had unpleasant things happen there.  One op was after she staked herself up the paddock - she ran straight onto a sharp piece of wood which lodged internally.  The vet still uses it as a paperweight.  We were all stunned at how such a large piece of wood did so little damage, missing all vitals.  LOTS of stitches and a long recovery period of inactivity.  (Try keeping a kelpie inactive.)

She loves everyone at the vets and is overjoyed when I tell her we're going there. 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »

It took them quite a while to get that mastiff into the building.  It was a sight to see, though.   :D

My cat seems to know when I take the carrier out of the closet the night before that something is up. (Nothing good is gonna happen…….)  I've tried to get her to play with the carrier, but no way.  She just gives me the stink-eye.  I have to be really sneaky/fast when I put her in. 

How about your pet?

HA - I had an English Mastiff growing up, and as anyone who knows the breed, or has had one knows, they are STUBBORN. Mine would go completely limp when she didnt want to do something, and that included walking on a leash!  We didn't have  a fenced in yard, but we would let her out, she would do her business in the yard, and come right back in. never once ran away. She was just too lazy! But put a leash on her, and you'd get like 4 feet down the driveway, and she'd collapse in a dead heap, and refuse to budge another inch.

The vet was interesting too. She would do the same thing, and no amount of cajoling, tempting with treats, etc. would get her in. I think the only reason she did was she was a bit skittish, and didn't like being outside in a strange place, so inside was the better alternative.  Our vet had a door from the exam room, that opened out to the parking lot, so we would let them know we were therre, wait outside, and then when it was her turn, they'd open the door, and we'd get her in. where she would immediately pee on the floor from nerves. and we'd go out the same way.  So she never went into the waiting room.

My cat, same thing. while all of mine were indoor/outdoor cats, they never ever went IN the car or carrier unless it was to the vet. They learned fast, and my one, who was part Siamese, would do this low, pathetic howling yowl all the way there. you would think she was being tortured.

My friend's former dog, however, a black lab, couldn't care less. I had to take her one time while dogsitting, to the emergency vet. even when they were taking her temp, she was sitll wagging her tail away like mad!and trying to kiss all the techs etc. trying to work on her!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
My other dearly departed kitty, Boris aka His Lordship, a 14 lb black kitty, well, he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He hated the carrier, so my dad would hold it on his lap, with the door facing out, and I'd grab HL , sort of fold his legs under him, nad stuff him in like a football. He'd cry a little on the way, but once there, you would have to upend the carrier to get him out!

He was ok with shots adn such, except the one time he had a nasty abcess from his rabies shot. The Vet cleaned it out, BLECH, and then gave him a shot of antibiotic. HL was NOT at all pleased. he actually tried to bite the vet!  Who was too quick for him.  The later vet in the practice loved him, sadly, the feeling was not mutual since HL was a bit wussy.

The funniest thing is was his memory. i'd bring him home, open the carrier, and HL would bolt out and run. But 10 minutes later, all was forgotten and he'd be purring up a storm in my lap.

Cyradis

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
Definitely! I've used the same vet clinic most of my life. There's one spot on the route where the dogs always give me a look that clearly says, "You traitor!"

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 11:03:05 AM »
Julian used to be fine about going to the vet, and would hang out in his carrier at random times at home: he likes boxes. Then there was one visit that they had to do an extra exam bit or shot of some kind after they thought he was done. (my spouse took him for that one, so I don't have the details) Julian clung to the inside of the carrier to make it hard to get him out again--he was done, he had dealt with all that, he was going *home*. They got him out, though it took two or three people, but he hasn't hung out in the carrier since.

We are taking him to a new vet this weekend (his first check-up since we moved) and getting him into the carrier may be interesting, even if we shut him in one room first.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

mw8242

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2013, 01:37:47 PM »
Paddy sleeps in his carrier in the closet often. So when I bring it into the living room he doesn't mind much and all is good until I zip it close. My vet is 4 blocks away so I walk over and he howls and meows the whole way. Of course we also go in the morning when kids are on their way to school and I look like a big meanie carrying a poor cat to his doom.

Once there he won't leave his carrier. If I pull him out to wait for the vet he climb right back in. He's a big boy so they always call in for a hand to hold him but he turns to jello the minute someone touches him. He just stares at me in the saddest way making me feel like a terrible person when I'm just trying to keep him healthy! Then it's another walk home with him howling about what he's been through.

Luckily once home he settles down and sleeps next to me most of the day and all is forgiven.

Amara

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »
My dear departed feline soulmate Persephone would go in my arms. She didn't particularly like being in the car but tolerated it. However, she would not tolerate a carrier or leash; she escaped both while in transport so I gave up. We went other places than the vet, though. People in other cars liked seeing her standing at the passenger side or front windows looking out.

My current three are, as others have said, hell spawns, when it comes to leaving the house. Nothing works. I have to be faster than they are as they are impossible to get once their radar senses trouble ahead. Athena is my middle one, and she has thyroid problems so she had to see the vet a few times. I had to get the carrier out a few days ahead of time--she can spot it on the high counter and freaks--and leave it opened and alone. Then I hope that on the morning of the appointment I can pick her up and hold her by the scruff of her neck tightly enough and move fast enough to get her into the carrier. She may be small and not particularly smart, but she is strong and has street smarts (even though she has never been on the street).

Once in the carrier, she may cry a couple of times but mostly tries to hide herself under the towel. She's very passive at the vet's office so they like her. Once home, she bolts but within an hour will be out for food. I hate vet visits too. So much drama.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
Theo not only knew when he was going to the vet he also knew when the danger was over. I would have to shut down the house the night before to catch him. If I left the door to the basement open forget it - I would never be able to nab him and get him there. So on those days I would have to call the vet and reschedule - and as soon as I hung up I would turn around and there he was - on the stairs with an "all clear?" expression on his face.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2013, 01:58:13 PM »
My cats only ever leave the apartment to go to the vet, so they definitely know. One of them is fine with being put in the carrier and going for a ride, though she growls menacingly while the vet handles her.

The other cat is completely terrified. If we so much as look at the carriers, he runs off and hides under the bed. We have to get the carriers out and clean them the night before the appointment. When it's time to go, we have to make sure he's in the main area of the apartment (pouring some kibble in his bowl draws him out if necessary) and very casually, without looking at him or the carriers, go around and shut the doors to any rooms that might provide a hiding place. Then we have to grab him and load him in amid hissing, pathetic yowling, and projectile peeing. He is actually quite easy for the vet to handle because he is paralyzed with fear and doesn't put up a fight. When he's not being examined, he attempts to hide by squeezing his 15 pound self into the few inches of space between the sink and the wall.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

veronaz

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2013, 02:03:12 PM »
However, as soon as said carriers are put into the car? Let the whining commence!

Most cats I've known of (including mine) don't like to ride in a car and they whine and yowl.  OTOH, most dogs seem to love it.

Sebastienne

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2013, 02:58:22 PM »

The other cat is completely terrified. If we so much as look at the carriers, he runs off and hides under the bed. We have to get the carriers out and clean them the night before the appointment. When it's time to go, we have to make sure he's in the main area of the apartment (pouring some kibble in his bowl draws him out if necessary) and very casually, without looking at him or the carriers, go around and shut the doors to any rooms that might provide a hiding place. Then we have to grab him and load him in amid hissing, pathetic yowling, and projectile peeing. He is actually quite easy for the vet to handle because he is paralyzed with fear and doesn't put up a fight. When he's not being examined, he attempts to hide by squeezing his 15 pound self into the few inches of space between the sink and the wall.

Um, I think you have one of our cats. We usually end up having to flip the mattress to get him in his carrier. We're either insanely early (easy catch) or quite late (he's being a jerk) when bringing him in. Then he goes into shock, and the vets talk about how sweet and easygoing he is. Hahahahahaha.

missanpan

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »
Egads, yes! My sister asked me if I happen to give off Vet vibes as my Kimmie-cat seems to know when I plan to take her in. Before I do vet visit preparation (closing all doors and taking out carriers), she's hiding out under my bed. Last time, I managed to flush her out and close my bedroom door, only to have her yeowling in the middle of the living room. Seemed like she was yelling "NO" over and over again. Luckily, her daughter, Momo is fairly clueless and easy to manage.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »
Sammy is an absolute embarrassment whenever I take him to the vet. It's bad enough that I've considered getting a sedative from the vet to give him before we put him in the carrier. He becomes a hugely disgusting mess on our 1 mile drive to the office. Stuff *ahem* comes out of ever orifice and cries as though he is being tortured the entire way there and back.

They always have to clean him up when we get there. We do put puppy pads in the carrier, and that does help some. But a vet tech almost always has to take the carrier outside to hose it off and put a fresh pad in before we leave. So much fur flies off him it's amazing he has any left.

As soon as we get home, he runs out of the carrier straight for his food dish. Then all is forgiven and he acts as though it never happened.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!